PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measures

bdoyle
11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I guess I am in the market for a new powder measure. My Lyman 55 is set up for BP and the rcbs chargemaster just died. They said it be a long time fixin' it. I was thinking on the RCBS uniflow or the competition model. I have a lee that works great for 2400 and such but I tend to use stick powders in the rifles for the snorkier loads. Comments?
Brian

mikenbarb
11-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Belding & Mull or a Harrells if in the budget.

ddeaton
11-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Harrells +1

jhrosier
11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Since you already have a Lyman, the RCBS would be the best bet.
I like the way that the RCBS handles IMR powders.
The B&M is probably more consistent than the RCBS, but it is also much slower to use.

Jack

Dale53
11-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I have examples of most of the present day makers of powder measures. MY vote goes to the Redding micrometer measure. They come in various sizes, so pick the size that works for you. The micrometer is repeatable (I ALWAYS check with a scale) that greatly speeds up "load changing". Well made and reasonably priced. Whatever measure you get, I recommend the Sinclair bottle adaptor. Pharmacies have nice, tough plastic bottles (with lids) that they get quantity of pills in and most will give you the bottles upon request. I use these for powder. After using a particular powder, you just turn the measure upside down, remove the bottle and put the lid on. Of course, you will mark the bottles carefully, won't you?

Dale53

Firebird
11-30-2008, 03:13 PM
The Sinclair bottle adapters also allow the Hodgdon 1 lb. powder bottles to just screw onto the measure. And you can get micrometer adjusters for Uni-Flow measures also.

bdoyle
11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I was leaning towards the RCBS but it is looking like the Redding. I really like their die sets.
The available adapters are a plus also. Also have a deal going for a Hollywood. Probably retire the lee. I like to keep one set up with 2400 to keep the 30-30s and 06s going.

Thanks to all responders!
Brian

1hole
11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
"MY vote goes to the Redding micrometer measure. They come in various sizes, so pick the size that works for you. The micrometer is repeatable..."

Ditto. And look at the Hornady clone of the Redding too. For common reloader type measures (the Harrels is not), I don' think they can be beat. Both work at least as well as the more expensive RCBS measure and both of them come standard with micrometer chambers which RCBS only adds for an even higher price.

I know Redding has an extra metering chamber for small charges (pistol) and think Hornady does too. They are nice additions if you load a lot of hand gun or small rifle stuff.

Jon K
11-30-2008, 06:14 PM
My vote goes to the Harrell's.

Not trying to flame the Redding, but I have owned 2, and think they are over-rated. I know the Harrells is pricey, but it's the hands down winner- just my opinion.

Jon

mainiac
11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
For the money, I dont think you can beat the redding. I have 3 of them, and they work perfectly, never had a problem. Write down your setting, and when you come back to it, it is spot on, everytime.