PDA

View Full Version : Any Mulberry fans?

Silvercreek Farmer
07-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Bumper crop this year off of our "Illinois Everbearing" trees. Seems like they taste best right off the tree. I think I like them better than blueberries. My wife picked and froze a couple gallons worth. Anyone else like 'em?

biffj
07-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Late freeze in Indiana pretty much killed our mulberry hopes. Lots of trees and no berries. Black walnuts are no shows too. You can always plant later but for stuff that you get from existing trees the weather can make or break things.

Glad you guys got a good crop. Love em.

Frank

Texas by God
07-05-2020, 06:43 PM
As a young lad feasting on Mulberries from a tree on the homestead in Oklahoma went well until I got one full of worms. I don’t recall eating any since. When they are ripe, every car around gets custom purple splotches from the birds.

high standard 40
07-05-2020, 07:03 PM
I picked enough this year from a tree my brother-in-law has to make 4 pints of mulberry jam and 4 more pints of jelly. This is my first exposure to Mulberries and it is VERY good.

Bad Ass Wallace
07-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Mulberries are good to eat, but the real treasure is in the wood. Properly seasoned and dried, it has reds, yellows and purple stripes all through it.

WebMonkey
07-05-2020, 07:51 PM
mulberry is a great tree/shrub/bush.

i picked up a steam juicer several years back.

best tool for using up the pounds of berries.

before, i wouldn't pick much due to the hassle of seeds.

:)

StrawHat
07-05-2020, 07:55 PM
We have seven trees on the property, 6 females and one male. The females get the fruit. Bumper crop!! We pick some but leave most on for the birds and squirrels. We also have black cherry and a huge thornless raspberry.

Kevin

dbosman
07-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Can mulberry shrubs/trees be started from seed? Easily? The back of my yard could use more fruit shrubs or small trees.

Joby
07-05-2020, 11:05 PM
This year was indeed a banner year. Made up for a nonexistent last year. About 8 quarts. The kids n bride picked. I use the backhoe to get them up into the jackpots. I couldn’t climb to pick this year. Just had a kidney transplant and not to mobile yet.

tomme boy
07-05-2020, 11:33 PM
I am picking Blackberries right now. I like them way better than mulberry. I got about 3 gals worth now. and about half the patch is still turning from red yet

Iron369
07-05-2020, 11:45 PM
I am picking Blackberries right now. I like them way better than mulberry. I got about 3 gals worth now. and about half the patch is still turning from red yet

So it’s blackberry season?

Jniedbalski
07-06-2020, 12:11 AM
My mulberry’s are done for the year. Now got to check on the blackberrys. The wetter the year the mulberry just don’t taste as good if it’s been really wet before and during Them ripening up. The blackberry’s also. Had so many go to the critters because I can’t reach a lot of them.

Iowa Fox
07-06-2020, 12:18 AM
Mullberrys are slim on my place this year, late frost got me on everything. Peach trees were loaded with blossums darn it.

CastingFool
07-06-2020, 07:39 AM
We have two mulberry trees in our property. Don't know whether they are male or female. This year, they seem very late in leafing out, in fact, I thought they were dead. One day, tiny green leaves seemed to pop out all over. The berries tjis year are tiny, but then again, we have not hsd much rain in about a month. Don't care abiut eating them that much, but I do like that they attract turkeys, racoons and woodchucks. The last two make great live target practice.

WRideout
07-06-2020, 08:21 AM
When I lived in Pittsburgh, there was a large mulberry tree in the alley behind my apartment. At that time, I lived in student housing, and practiced home wine making with recipes from a book I had. I decided to try the mulberry, since they were free, and plentiful. After about six months, I had a couple of gallons of mulberry wine that was good enough I could have sold it. All my friends wanted more; I could never duplicate it.

In Pittsburgh, there are at least two trees that grow like weeds; mulberry, and ailanthus (Tree of Heaven). It seems that every time I found a good mulberry tree, it was in the wrong spot and soon cut down. There is a large tree in a grassy area just off the Parkway East in Swissvale, and I harvested it for several years.

Wayne

Outer Rondacker
07-06-2020, 02:38 PM
I grow up with the largest tree I have ever seen. Loved eating Mulberries. For the last few years I have been searching for a place to buy a handful of trees. No one in my area has ever hear of one. Ummm Mulberries lucky you guys.

MaryB
07-06-2020, 03:43 PM
I use them to make morat, mulberry mead. Good stuff!

kenton
07-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Maybe some one can weigh in on this, but it is starting to seem to me mulberry trees don't seem to start producing fruit until they have been heavily trimmed back. I have a handful on my property that won't produce a berry but the one's under the windows and else where I cut them down seem to produce berries despite the fact they are spindly re growths

Mk42gunner
07-06-2020, 06:08 PM
I'd pick a few and eat them while climbing trees as a kid, actually picking enough to make jelly with seems to much like work.

Mulberries are in the same family as osage orange, aka hedge, which means it is a long lasting wood. Dad, who actually grew up farming, said if you rate hedge as a 100 year fence post, mulberry would make a 70 year post.

Robert

bruce drake
07-06-2020, 06:21 PM
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daylily-Nursery-Dwarf-Mulberry-Plant-in-a-4-in-Pot-859007822/310611499?mtc=&cm_mmc=---&msclkid=1febe3996a6216d591f9bc9ac9658e54&gclid=CJytm7fUueoCFWOnZQodwnAN-w&gclsrc=ds

Easier to start them from a plant than a seed.

Love them as well.

tomme boy
07-06-2020, 08:17 PM
So it’s blackberry season?

Depends on your location. This is the earliest I have ever got them. Almost 2 weeks early.

mattw
07-06-2020, 11:10 PM
I love eating them... they are so sweet! When I was a kid, we had a pasture with the largest mulberry tree I have ever seen. One year my buddy and I were cruising the pasture with our go-carts, made to many passes under the darn thing and we both were purple for a few days! :)

tunnug
07-07-2020, 12:55 AM
My granddad had a mulberry tree on his property, we would pick the ripe fruit and dunk them in a pail of water, holding them under would force all these little black bugs out, never paid much attention as to what they were, we did it until no more came out then we would eat the fruit, years later a friend told me about eating fruit right off the tree, asked him about the bugs and the look he gave me was priceless, he'd never thought there might be bugs.

KCSO
07-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Had them and ate a bunch when I was a kid along with gooseberries, rasberrys and chokecherry. But I got sick eating too many one time and now I see one and my throat just slams shut.

remy3424
07-09-2020, 01:44 PM
They are like weeds here, cut them off at the ground and tordon the stump to kill it or it will grow right back. I did eat a few as a kid. Wild plum, rasberry and elderberry around here.

mattw
07-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Oh gooseberries, gods gift to man! Now I really want a gooseberry crisp!

MaryB
07-10-2020, 03:20 PM
I have purple fingers today... picked mulberries yesterday. And picked gooseberries for my neighbor. Walked by her bush and it was loaded with ripe ones and she is out of town so I picked them for her and put them in the freezer. Gooseberries are tiny this year but wow are they packed with flavor compared to most years when they are really bland.

I will get some gooseberries too as they ripen, I use a cup of them to naturally thicken jelly.

richhodg66
07-10-2020, 07:55 PM
We have a couple of good trees on our place and several close to our other house. I always liked them as a kid, and in hot, wet, S.C. where the growing season was nearly year round, the trees would be heavy with them.

This year seems to be a bust here, later than usual and none of the trees produced much. Not sure what happenned.

We've made pies with the before, good stuff.