PDA

View Full Version : Slowest burning powder you have used in 9mm

hotwheelz
11-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I am having troubles with my lead bullets and plated bullets in my 9mm carbine the plated bullets seem to be shredding after about 10yrds and I cannot figure out what is happening to the lead rounds they are there at 10yrds and after ????? I was told to try using a slower burning powder so I used 5.2gr of AA#5 but still ahveing the same issues is there a slower powder you guys have used in your 9mm's ???

anachronism
11-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Blue Dot is wayyyy cool in 9mm.

cohutt
11-29-2008, 11:54 PM
what weight bullet with the AA#5 charge?

what bullet, powder & charge were you using prior?

Are you over-crimping the plated bullets and damaging the plating?

Are you belling the brass enough to allow for seating the plated bullets without damaging the plating?

What carbine?

What brand and caliber of plated bullets?

Generally speaking powder burn rate shouldn't make much of a difference if using published data of appropriate powders for 9mm.

hotwheelz
11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
what weight bullet with the AA#5 charge?

what bullet, powder & charge were you using prior?

Are you over-crimping the plated bullets and damaging the plating?

Are you belling the brass enough to allow for seating the plated bullets without damaging the plating?

What carbine?

What brand and caliber of plated bullets?

Generally speaking powder burn rate shouldn't make much of a difference if using published data of appropriate powders for 9mm.

Bullet is a 120gr Lead .356 TC with blue angle lube or
131gr rn .356 rainier is a 38 super bullet but works well in all my 9mm's or
115 gr rn .355 rainier is a true 9mm bullet

I was usuing 4.2gr titegroup with all 3 bullets I also used 4.5 gr Red Dot wit all 3 bullets both of these loads work great in my pistols

I have used the dillon taper crip dies as well as a lee FCD. I checked they all mic. out at .380

Yes I use the same bell for Jacketed ammo as I do for lead.

Olympic Arms AR 9mm 16" barrell

cohutt
11-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Observations and ramblings:

4.2 g of titegroup and a 120g lead or 130g oversized plated bullet seems a little hot to me. It may or may not be at the top end of published data but in my experience has been generally better with medium-warm loads for my own lead bullets vs hotter ones.

By comparison, 3.4g of titegroup under my own cast 125g lrn hits 1350fps through a 16" carbine (IMI UZI B). The same load through a G17 doesn't hit 1000fps.

No doubt that the longer barrel of your OLY will push up the velocity by at least 250fps vs the same load in your handguns, maybe more. Seems like the slower powders theoretically would have a greater bump in velocity in the carbine than the faster powders.

My best guess:
4.2g of titegroup through a longer carbine barrel is going to push up your velocity significantly. the high velocity on top of the stress to the plating of an oversized bullet (the 38 super .356) probably is the culprit. Have you chronied the load?

On the 115g raniers I don't know, but maybe backing off on the charge would help.

With lead in 9mm I've had good luck with both WST (155g) and Titegroup (135g). The 125s i mentioned above were lee rn tl and I never really found the magic combo with them although a couple of combos were "ok" using Titegroup and Unique.

I'm not familiar with the barrel properties of an OLY 9mm- have you considered slugging the barrel or at least the throat area?

hotwheelz
11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Observations and ramblings:

4.2 g of titegroup and a 120g lead or 130g oversized plated bullet seems a little hot to me. It may or may not be at the top end of published data but in my experience has been generally better with medium-warm loads for my own lead bullets vs hotter ones.

By comparison, 3.4g of titegroup under my own cast 125g lrn hits 1350fps through a 16" carbine (IMI UZI B). The same load through a G17 doesn't hit 1000fps.

No doubt that the longer barrel of your OLY will push up the velocity by at least 250fps vs the same load in your handguns, maybe more. Seems like the slower powders theoretically would have a greater bump in velocity in the carbine than the faster powders.

My best guess:
4.2g of titegroup through a longer carbine barrel is going to push up your velocity significantly. the high velocity on top of the stress to the plating of an oversized bullet (the 38 super .356) probably is the culprit. Have you chronied the load?

On the 115g raniers I don't know, but maybe backing off on the charge would help.

With lead in 9mm I've had good luck with both WST (155g) and Titegroup (135g). The 125s i mentioned above were lee rn tl and I never really found the magic combo with them although a couple of combos were "ok" using Titegroup and Unique.

I'm not familiar with the barrel properties of an OLY 9mm- have you considered slugging the barrel or at least the throat area?

Thanks for the ideas I didnt use but 10 or 15 rnds of the titegroup loads before relaizing my error. I have a freind meetting me at the range today Im going to try out some litter loads and see what happens he is brining his crono so I can see whats happening.

454PB
11-30-2008, 05:37 PM
HS-6 is my favorite for maximum effort 9mm loads.

hotwheelz
11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
OK so just got back and the 115gr rn plated bullets with 4.8gr AA#5, 1000fps , the 147gr rn plated bullets with 4.0gr AA#5 were 850fps. The lead bullets wich are a 125gr tc with 3.6gr of AA#5, 750fps were a little soft didnt run the action on the gun well but were accurate I will try to build up from there. My friend brought some of his jacketed ammo along and it was 1300fps with out any issues were hitting hard and right on the money. I will probably pick up some jacket ammo for this gun for now and I will keep working on my lead loads. :Fire::Fire:

frank_1947
12-01-2008, 01:19 AM
4.0 WST works great for me in 9mm 147 lead, I do use 3n37 on 124 gr jackets and am now useing Ramshot Silouette and running jackets to 1300+ in a open class uspsa pistol, and have used HS 6

Le Loup Solitaire
12-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi, Using 115-120 grain cast bullets for the 9 MM and not wanting to use the faster powders; one of my pistols is a Luger and I want to avoid the higher pressures. I load either 3.2 grains of 700X or one of the following; 4.5, 4.7, 4.8 grains of IMR 4756 depending on which of my other two pistols in 9MM I want to use. All loads run the slides, burn clean and give good accuracy at 25 yards. They do not beat on the gun. Sizing is to .356 with NRA 50/50 lube and a slight taper crimp. Bullets used are H&G #7, Lyman 358212, and RCBS 115 Truncated Conical Nose. You can check the two powders mentioned above as to where they are located on the "rate of burning " chart and see if they are slow enough for your applications. I hope that this helps you solve your problem. LLS

hotwheelz
12-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Le Loup Solitaire
frank_1947

Thanks for input this is for use in my AR 9mm carbine IM not having any issues with my pistols....

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
power pistol is as slow as i go

Shiloh
12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
AA #7

I used 8.2gr with bulk Winchester 115 gr Jacketed bullets. Accuracy was only fair from a Glock 17 so I didn't experiment much. I find 6.5 gr. of AA #5 to be a lot more accurate with the same bullet.

Shiloh