PDA

View Full Version : What lever actions have the least and most parts?

mickbr
07-03-2020, 05:18 AM
Pretty broad subject but does anyone know a general ranking for which models are the simplest or least amount of working bits and pieces?

I had read the Marlin 94 is very simple

The 1892 is more complicated and the Rossi version even more parts than orginals.

While weaker the 1873 is actually a 'simpler and sturdier action', sure I have seen it written. I have seen some schematics for it though... 50+ plus parts , or is that pretty standard?

How am I doing so far, or is this subject too nonsensical :)

AntiqueSledMan
07-03-2020, 06:57 AM
Hello mickbr,

I'm not positive but I believe the Whitney/Kennedy probably had the least number of parts.

AntiqueSledMan.

indian joe
07-03-2020, 07:06 AM
I would think an 1886 Winchester would top the list for most bits
1892 less so but proly comes second - dunno where you got the info that a Rossi is more parts than an original - that would be splitting hairs on a technicality I think
Toggle links much simpler
never had a marlin apart but they look like much less bits in them.
250 + parts ????? I have a catalogue and parts list for the 86 stops just short of 70 bits - cant imagine where you got your number from

Just asking myself why did I waste time typing this .......................

Baltimoreed
07-03-2020, 08:29 AM
I believe the Marlin 1894 and their hammer pump shotguns have fewer parts than their Winchester rifle and shotgun counterparts.

mickbr
07-03-2020, 10:05 AM
I would think an 1886 Winchester would top the list for most bits
1892 less so but proly comes second - dunno where you got the info that a Rossi is more parts than an original - that would be splitting hairs on a technicality I think
Toggle links much simpler
never had a marlin apart but they look like much less bits in them.
250 + parts ????? I have a catalogue and parts list for the 86 stops just short of 70 bits - cant imagine where you got your number from

Didnt say 86, said 73, but sorry a typo on that number, meant to be 50+, and I see 70-80 seems pretty standard across a few of these actions.

Just asking myself why did I waste time typing this .......................

Well you gave pretty good answers then felt a flash of regret repling to someone with lesser post count I guess ;)

john.k
07-04-2020, 08:14 AM
The least parts Ive seen would certainly be a cheap rimfire rifle I recall ,a "Fieldman",I think ......the lever was made of nylon ,the action was the open bolt auto type .....as for the one with most parts ,if it wasnt one of the fancy rotating bolt high powers ,like the BLR,or maybe Sako Finnwolf,then it would be for sure the Bullard lever action.....Only made a few years in the 1880s.

Jsm180
07-04-2020, 08:55 AM
I can't imagine a lever gun with less parts than my Ithaca M49, I got it for xmas when I was 6 or 7.

indian joe
07-05-2020, 01:17 AM
Nah mate it was the typo did it ------ thought anybody believed there was 250+ bits was likely messing with us deliberately - we all started here with a zero post count .............

mickbr
07-05-2020, 09:29 AM
All good Indian Joe. I remember back in the day when gun forums progressed from the old bulletin board software to the current formats and I couldnt understand why they started listing post counts and joining dates. Seemed to me like being at a gun show and everyone wearing a badge denoting how many conversations they have had.

Texas by God
07-05-2020, 07:07 PM
I can't imagine a lever gun with less parts than my Ithaca M49, I got it for xmas when I was 6 or 7.
Another Ithaca- the 66 Supersingle shotgun might have less parts than the 49. The OP didn’t specify. If the “lever” had to be a repeater.....
What about the Spencer?

indian joe
07-06-2020, 08:14 AM
All good Indian Joe. I remember back in the day when gun forums progressed from the old bulletin board software to the current formats and I couldnt understand why they started listing post counts and joining dates. Seemed to me like being at a gun show and everyone wearing a badge denoting how many conversations they have had.

:drinks:

KWK
07-06-2020, 04:39 PM
The original 1893 and 1894 Marlin had lower parts count than their later versions. They lacked the extra, lever safety mechanism. However, the 1881 Marlin is a bit simpler yet.

The 1866 Winchester should have a lower parts count than the 1873, for it lacks a few of the later safeties. The dual toggle links surely ups the parts count compared to the Marlins, but it's a fairly simple mechanism overall.

Other contenders include, as another post mentioned, the Whitney-Kennedy, and the Colt-Burgess, both designed by Burgess, as was the 1881 Marlin. Burgess seemed to like simplicity.