PDA

View Full Version : Washer repair help

abunaitoo
07-03-2020, 04:17 AM
Whirlpool WTW4800XQO
Got it free
Guy said it was working, he just had the lock switch replaced.
When he last ran it, it made a noise, so he stopped it.
I'm thinking he pulled the plug.
Ran the check, and got spin fault, rinse fault.
Rinse fault was hair pins stuck in the pump motor.
Working now.
I think the capacitor might be bad. 45uf and I get 27mf reading.
If my meter is correct.
Could also be the shift actuator.
No idea how to test it.
Nothing is spinning.
Any suggestions????

No_1
07-03-2020, 05:07 AM
Yep. Search google. Apparently many manufacturers provide the same “spec” appliance under various names to different provider just like the old days with guns. Some whirlpool/Kenmore/? appliances can provide trouble codes to assist in repair. There are also plenty of appliance forums out there. In the last 2 months I have repaired 2 of my Kenmore appliances one being the side by side refrigerator and the other being my Kenmore dishwasher.

dangitgriff
07-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Good Lord, when I read the thread title I thought someone was looking for a doctor for their old lady.
If the washer works except for the spin cycle, that definitely sounds like a control line issue, maybe in the gearbox assembly or, if direct drive, the line voltage to the motor. The capacitor should not be too costly to swap out to eliminate it as a cause for the failure. With Radio Shack OOB, you’re probably limited to online retailers to chase a replacement down. Unless you have an electronics repair shop nearby.
Remember the days when appliances would last many years and require simple maintenance and repair intervals?
R/Griff

smithnframe
07-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Whirlpool forum!

Scrounge
07-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Whirlpool WTW4800XQO
Got it free
Guy said it was working, he just had the lock switch replaced.
When he last ran it, it made a noise, so he stopped it.
I'm thinking he pulled the plug.
Ran the check, and got spin fault, rinse fault.
Rinse fault was hair pins stuck in the pump motor.
Working now.
I think the capacitor might be bad. 45uf and I get 27mf reading.
If my meter is correct.
Could also be the shift actuator.
No idea how to test it.
Nothing is spinning.
Any suggestions????

appliancepartspros.com they have parts lists, and troubleshooting help and parts installation videos. I don't buy all my parts from them, because you can often get them MUCH cheaper from Amazon or Ebay, but I do buy some. Quick shipping, and I think it's good to keep them in business. Click the Get Repair Help tab to figure out the problem, then the Shop for Parts tab to get parts lists, part numbers, and their prices.

I used to do appliance repair, back when I was a teen. And again recently for an large industrial laundry.

edler7
07-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Is the lid closed? I know that sounds stupid, but I knew a guy that worked on one for 2 days because it wouldn’t spin after he repaired another problem. His wife closed the lid and it took right off. He got reminded of that often.

smoked turkey
07-03-2020, 10:15 AM
another star for appliancepartspros. I also use my search bar and look for an appropriate youtube, because I am a visual person and if I can see it done, it is a great help to me.

abunaitoo
07-03-2020, 01:05 PM
I hate these lid locks. Just don't see the point of it.
I've looked at some of the sites.
appliance parts pros, a few of the whirlpool forums
Got some ideas, but none tell how to bench test each component.
I checked on the price of the cap here and they want $55 for it.
Never paid that much for a cap.
Must be made of gold, or it's a big seller.
I'll keep on looking.

Hossfly
07-03-2020, 01:31 PM
I think they charge by the microfarad. LOL

jimlj
07-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Grainier or Johnstone supply should have the capacitor.

Lid lock switch is 1. To keep them from getting sued, and 2. To keep someone from getting hurt, l’m sure in that order.

jsizemore
07-04-2020, 12:35 AM
Used AC compressor run cap should be about the right size. Please bleed that rascal if it doesn't have a drain resistor.

abunaitoo
07-04-2020, 02:03 AM
I've been hunting around the house to see if I had anything close.
So far nothing.
Went on line to see how to test it.
My Craftsman tester has a CAP setting, so I'm assuming it's for testing capacitors.
Marked 45uf and I get 27mf.
Seems bad to me.
I also did the spooky discharge test.
Big snap.
Trying to trace the wires for the shift acuator to see if I can test that.
Going to ohm check the motor, then jump the motor to see if it spins.
This is kind of fun.
I'd start replacing parts, but have no idea if the main board is not the problem.
We picked up another washer today. Used of course.
So this one is just for fun.

jonp
07-04-2020, 05:19 AM
Is the lid closed? I know that sounds stupid, but I knew a guy that worked on one for 2 days because it wouldn’t spin after he repaired another problem. His wife closed the lid and it took right off. He got reminded of that often.

REM NDS me of pulling the rope on my rototiller and working on it for an hour cursing it the whole time then realized I hadn't turned the switch to "on"

Idaho45guy
07-04-2020, 10:05 AM
I've used the appliance repair site referenced above to fix a refrigerator and gas stove before. Amazing resource.

I used to work in the Maytag factory in Iowa and built the washer that my wife claimed in the divorce a few years ago. I worked there from `93 to `95. I loved that machine and when it had an issue after ten years, was able to diagnose and fix it easily. Now I have an Amana that does not impress me.

popper
07-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Whirlpool did use a jam clutch in the agravator that goes out easily. 1st on that went out they replaced, 2nd machine got replaced with the exploding China one. They are all crap anymore.

woodbutcher
07-04-2020, 02:02 PM
:D I have a Maytag washer/dryer set that was given to me for free.It is about 25/30 years old.Last year was the first time in it`s service life any repairs had to be done on either.The dryer door safety switch died.$ 28.00 for a new switch.Pretty good reliability if you ask me.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Scrounge
07-04-2020, 02:20 PM
I hate these lid locks. Just don't see the point of it.
I've looked at some of the sites.
appliance parts pros, a few of the whirlpool forums
Got some ideas, but none tell how to bench test each component.
I checked on the price of the cap here and they want $55 for it.
Never paid that much for a cap.
Must be made of gold, or it's a big seller.
I'll keep on looking.

Check ebay. Lots of parts there from China, which is where most of this stuff comes from these days. Usually a great deal cheaper than Appliance Parts Pro.

elmacgyver0
07-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Whirlpool did use a jam clutch in the agravator that goes out easily. 1st on that went out they replaced, 2nd machine got replaced with the exploding China one. They are all crap anymore.

Must have an "agravator" just to agitate you!

Scrounge
07-04-2020, 02:31 PM
I've used the appliance repair site referenced above to fix a refrigerator and gas stove before. Amazing resource.

I used to work in the Maytag factory in Iowa and built the washer that my wife claimed in the divorce a few years ago. I worked there from `93 to `95. I loved that machine and when it had an issue after ten years, was able to diagnose and fix it easily. Now I have an Amana that does not impress me.

I'm not impressed with any of the new appliances. Paid a grand for a Whirlpool Cambrio some years back. Had problems with it a couple of years later, and laid it on it's side to work on it. The high speed DC motor is built into the tub. Injection-molded plastic, and cracked all to heck. Junked it, bought the cheapest thing the base exchange had. Amana, and I'm not impressed by it, but so far (3 or 4 years) it's still working. I've had to pull the hose off the pump and clean out junk a couple of time, but so far, so good. I've been getting my dryers off craigslist for a decade now. Fix them when I can get parts, when the parts get over about $50, junk it and get another for that price. Most recent is a Kenmore, and I've had to replace the bearings the drum rolls on and the door switch. Bypassed that while waiting for the new one. One of the door hinges has broken the hinge rivet, been living with that, for a year or so now. Too much else to deal with. PITA, but not a show stopper. One of these days I'll probably make a new rivet for it.

One thing, all the US brands seem to use the same parts. My FIL used to work for Whirlpool as an engineer. Which is also Kenmore. When you're looking at a part, look at all the models it fits on. Odds are good it will be models for more than one manufacturer. And they'll often be Whirlpool Factory Specified Parts.

jsizemore
07-04-2020, 05:22 PM
You got to discharge the capacitor before you test.

abunaitoo
07-05-2020, 04:14 AM
Yep.
Always discharge capacitor before touching it.
We used to charge up auto capacitors, throw then to someone, when they catch it, had to run away fast.
Lots of fun.

Played with it some today.
Motor is good. I still thing the capacitor might be good.
Reading is off, but should be enough to turn the motor.
I put everything back together.
Getting faster at it every time.
Not the lid lock light is flashing
Took it apart and it seemed good.
Found it for cheap on evilbay, so I ordered one.
Seems if the lock is bad, nothing else will work.
I miss the days of the direct drive, no computer, simple washers.
Last washer the dies, we had for over 25 years.
Part no longer available, and couldn't find one on evil bay.
Forced to buy a now washer.

jsizemore
07-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Speed Queen.

richhodg66
07-05-2020, 02:06 PM
I'm not impressed with any of the new appliances. Paid a grand for a Whirlpool Cambrio some years back. Had problems with it a couple of years later, and laid it on it's side to work on it. The high speed DC motor is built into the tub. Injection-molded plastic, and cracked all to heck. Junked it, bought the cheapest thing the base exchange had. Amana, and I'm not impressed by it, but so far (3 or 4 years) it's still working. I've had to pull the hose off the pump and clean out junk a couple of time, but so far, so good. I've been getting my dryers off craigslist for a decade now. Fix them when I can get parts, when the parts get over about $50, junk it and get another for that price. Most recent is a Kenmore, and I've had to replace the bearings the drum rolls on and the door switch. Bypassed that while waiting for the new one. One of the door hinges has broken the hinge rivet, been living with that, for a year or so now. Too much else to deal with. PITA, but not a show stopper. One of these days I'll probably make a new rivet for it.

One thing, all the US brands seem to use the same parts. My FIL used to work for Whirlpool as an engineer. Which is also Kenmore. When you're looking at a part, look at all the models it fits on. Odds are good it will be models for more than one manufacturer. And they'll often be Whirlpool Factory Specified Parts.

I'm with you on that. Next washer I buy, I will look around for a 30-40 year old one, built like a tank with all mechanical timers and such.

The first set we had when we got married finally wore out a few years ago and we replaced it with a new one, water saving, quiet (it is quiet, almost too quiet when it was new) yada, yada. Wife demanded a front loader, which is the absolute stupidest feature for a washing machine to have. About a year ago, something happenned to it which would allow it to fill up with water even when sitting idle, then you'd forget and open it and have three gallons of water rush out. Something that was supposed to be telling it when to open and close valves was obviously bad. Called the appliance repair guy in town who is a great guy, but told me up front he was swamped and it would be a long time before he could get to it, so I talked to him about what it was doing, he told me what component it probably was and said it was an easy fix if I could get one and to expect that kind of thing with new ones. Anyway, got the model#, serial # etc., off of it, started searching and bought a new component off Amazone for $35 or so. Took longer to move the machine from the wall and remove the panel on it than it did to change out that part, works like a champ now.

I seem to be able to fix anything, but I can't trouble shoot or diagnose to save my life.

abunaitoo
07-05-2020, 03:27 PM
When my washer broke down, I went all over looking for one that did NOT have a computer.
Nothing.
Even craigs list didn't have one.
Emergency. Had to get one fast.
So ended up with a fancy, bells and whistles one.
But they did deleiver it fast.
Other than less noise, I don't see any difference from the old one.

Hossfly
07-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Just don’t by a washer that starts with S and ends with G. They make good tv and maybe phones but not washers.

Scrounge
07-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Just don’t by a washer that starts with S and ends with G. They make good tv and maybe phones but not washers.

I keep teasing my wife that we need the Samsung Refrigerator. It has a 25" touchscreen computer built into the front door. $3k or something like that. If we did get it, I'd have to put it in the bathroom in front of the toilet. Try not to picture this. ;)

richhodg66
07-05-2020, 05:59 PM
When my washer broke down, I went all over looking for one that did NOT have a computer.
Nothing.
Even craigs list didn't have one.
Emergency. Had to get one fast.
So ended up with a fancy, bells and whistles one.
But they did deleiver it fast.
Other than less noise, I don't see any difference from the old one.

This one is quiet. Also seems to weigh twice what a normal washer used to. It's some kind of eco-friendly water conserving design too, so a load takes forever it seems.I may need to start watching Craigslist for an old oneto buy just as a hedge against the future.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-06-2020, 08:54 AM
When our fancy washer quit I gave it away and bought a old, used Kenmore for $120.00. About 3-4 months ago it stopped working, I worried, prayed, and fooled with it for days. No good results. One night about 2:30 am I was awakened from a dream about repairing it. Turned on the computer and did a search about the problem. The FIRST video that popped up had the answer. I give credit to God for pointing me in the right direction. The lid safety switch that prevents the machine from spinning with the lid up was busted. The video had directions for removing the switch and a simple repair without moving the machine. I unplugged the machine, followed the directions, and sure enough it was busted. I put it back together with a zip tie and it has worked ever since that day. They get broken when the lid is dropped instead of being closed properly. My wife later admitted she had dropped it, I probably did also.

The switch is located under the rim where the clothes are loaded with a pointer on the lid that operates it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

edp2k
07-06-2020, 10:01 PM
Many areas have a used appliance place that will sell new or used parts and some will also help you diagnose the problem.