PDA

View Full Version : 2 free Mausers

Boondocker
12-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Did some work for the neighbor on his truck. He went and got to Mausers and a 22 out of the shed thats been in there over 20 years. A lot of rust gonna make a good winter project. He says I am always shooting so I might as well have them. One has a oval crest with a lot of lines coming off, swatiska and serial # x489 all thru out , straight bolt handle and bottom mounted swivels. The other has curved bolt ,side swivels and can hardly read the numbers till I clean her up. If anything I have some actions to work with. Boon

Jumptrap
12-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Could you post some pictures of your treasures? I have gotten so I grate my teeth when I hear of the possibility of old Mausers being hacksawed to death....especially when they are not of the latest import types. I have gotten so that when i know some old-timer has a bring back squirreled away.....always promised to the 'the boy' or grandson...for future butcherizing.....I ask them to allow me to take a picture of them...for posterity.

One I failed to get a picture of was an all matching, unfired 98k sniper found in a cave in Italy in 1944. No money this side of hell would buy it..nope...promised to the grandsons! The little ******** promptly sawed the stock off, had some bozo D&T it and they themselves a real deer gun!

Pardon me while I puke.

waksupi
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
boondocker, try to save that one with the original Nazi cresting. Those are getting kinda desirable, I do believe.

Boondocker
12-23-2005, 12:41 AM
I think I certainly can save the straight bolt one, I will get it cleaned up and see how the barrel looks. The other one is pretty beat up tho butt I am not in the bubba club. Ther is no crest markings on the other one butt I am in the process of finding the origins on these pieces. I will get some pics taken and post them once I figure it out on how to [smilie=l: . Thanks Boon

Boondocker
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Well took awhile got to get this pic thing figured out

Scotty
01-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Its a Chiang Kai-shek Mauser ...made in China from about the mid 30's to the late 40's....

Scotty, :redneck:

Boondocker
01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Not shown in the pic there is a little nazi swatsika in the lower stamping, did the chinese have these markings. I have to take some better pics. These old war clubs are new to me and are quite interesting. Thanks Boon

Scotty
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
The chinese used the swastika by it means something different to them.
Here is some info on chinese firearms... its in chinese but the pictures help.

http://www.chinesefirearms.com/

Scotty, :shock:

Scrounger
01-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I think the Chinese were using it long before the Nazis made it into something evil. If I remember correctly, some of the Indian tribes here in the Southwest (Hopi ?) had it on their pottery dating back several hundred years. And the Indians allegedly have Chinese origins thanks to the long-gone land bridge from Alaska to Asia. Small world.

Jumptrap
01-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I think the Chinese were using it long before the Nazis made it into something evil. If I remember correctly, some of the Indian tribes here in the Southwest (Hopi ?) had it on their pottery dating back several hundred years. And the Indians allegedly have Chinese origins thanks to the long-gone land bridge from Alaska to Asia. Small world.

Scrounger is right. The Swastika is an ancient emblem and if you will notice, is generally reversed from the driection the Nazi's used it.....note I said 'generally' not always. The indians also wove it into their fabrics....navajos i think.

I had several of the Chinese Dragon Rifles.....always called draggin' rifles because they looked like they had been dragged from one end of China to the other..9 times.'

The Chiang Kai Chek Mausers were actually pretty good guns. I had one rebarreled once and the guy told me the receiver casing (hardness) was as deep as any European made example he had ever seen. Ol' Chiang was sucked up tight with the Germans and bought a ton of goodies from them....amongst all that was tooling and technology to home brew mauser rifles. Anybody can be taught to follow a recipe....the Chinese had their German mentors show them the ropes and they made a pile of guns. Most of Europe and China as well would have continued to thrive on Mausers had not the Russians suckled their Communist puppet states and fed them a diet of Mosins. I think the Chinese had worn out their tooling and was glad to get new..maybe even free, tooling to make any gun that would go bang...it just happened to be Russian Mosins and of course the later semi and full automatic weapons.

Anyway, I will publically announce, I like the Swastika. I think it is a neat design that became taboo in theis country due to the Krauts and WW 2. When I was a boy, the big one had not been over all that long..20-25 years...less time than Viet Phucking Nam and all that stuff was still a hot topic. i will say this, i have never ever heard a WW 2 vet speak disrespect for a German solider.....they were always held in high regard. Japs on the other hand were disregarded as slant eyed rats fit only to be killed by any means handy. Such was the hatred in this country. People never forgot Pearl Harbor. Also, it was known how the Jap ******** treated out prisoners. i have a neighbor who was a German POW for a couple years. he said they were never mean to him, just about starved him to death...but so was half the civilian population.

StarMetal
01-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Oklahoma has alot of Indian history. And they are proud of it. So they have alot of museums dedicated to that. I was in one in Tulsa when I lived there. I saw a pair of mocassins that had swastika's on them. The Indians that made them uses little turquoise beads. One went clockwise and the other counter clockwise. These were made way before Addy came into power in Germany. They were either Commanche or Navajo, can't remember which. I've read that Addy was very interested in American Indians and that's where he lifted the swastika idea.

And now a funny story of Joe's things he did bad as a little boy. Like alot of youth I thought the swastika looked cool. Well I painted a big black one on a big piece of poster paper and thumbtacked it on the side of the house to dry and went over to my friends house. When I got home I went to see if it had dried. It was gone! Boy oh boy....my Dad was waiting for me...and man did I get it....good. He said quite a few neighbors had called. Man oh man.....one of the bad times in my life as boy growing up. My Dad explained that sign to me, which I didn't know...I mean I knew the Nazis used it on their flag and stuff, but I didn't know exactly all the horrible things that they had done in the war. I learned...the hard way .....and so did my ass.

Joe

Bret4207
01-07-2006, 02:22 PM
We had an old substitute teacher who came in to school 3 or 4 times a year. He was a Ranger I think. At any rate, we'd get him talking aobut WW2. My favorite story was when he was guarding a bunch of German prisoners. He had just relieved the previous guard on 10 or so prisoners. He said he had a Thompson and he went to put the mag back in it after checking it. Well, he dropped the mag and it slid down the icy hill to the feet of the "biggest, meanest looking Kraut you ever saw". He says about then the pucker factor was through the roof! He didn't know if he should go get the mag or try and reach for another one. About then the big German reaches down, picks up the mag and walks up the little hill to our hero. The German handed him the mag with a slight smile on his face and said,"Tired of fighting Joe".

Boondocker
01-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Scott you hit the nail on the head there. It seems to be Chinese as the markings are close to the markings and shape as in #33 in your pic. Above that there seems to be a bursting sun cresent. The rest of this gun is in sorry shape rust wise in an out, going to take my time on it to see if its a shooter or a hanger. Thanks all Boon
:castmine:

Herb in Pa
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
My cousin who lives in Northwestern Pa, close to the Ohio line, bought a craftsman style home built in the late 20's and in the front foyer there are swastika inlaid into the ceramic tile. I often kid him about owning AH's vacation home!

Buckshot
01-08-2006, 09:36 AM
.............Boondocker, it looks to be well made. At least externally. Look a the smoothness of the broad surfaces. Also consider the smoothness and eveness of the curves and especially as they transition from, or to a flat. Certainly has most the Turk Mausers I've seen beat all to heck.

.................Buckshot

Boondocker
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Well it looks like this Mauser is a wall hanger, the inside of the barrel is so bad by time I clean rust out it would probably be a 10mm smooth bore. I liked that barrel buckshot found but researching found that these barrels are 11 1/2 tpi so they say. [smilie=b:

scrapcan
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
An interesting note on the hated symbol mentioned in this post. In the 20's and 30's the symbol meant good luck. I have seen lots of old old photographs from archives that show many of the buildings, especially banks, that ahd tiles or brick border dispaying the symbol. Many old timers could tell you of good luck pieces given out by bankers that had it. As history shows, it may not been good luck to atleast one regime.

just a littel more history for ya.

milsurpcollector1970
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
It may be a germand made mauser for the chinese. Check out robert ball's military mauser book. Also the mauser shop manual by ????? He has several pages on how to spot the mausers the chinese made. Many of the homemade chinese mauser are not well made. The german military contract mausers are as good as any mauser ever made.

Jumptrap
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
It may be a germand made mauser for the chinese. Check out robert ball's military mauser book. Also the mauser shop manual by ????? He has several pages on how to spot the mausers the chinese made. Many of the homemade chinese mauser are not well made. The german military contract mausers are as good as any mauser ever made.

The shop manual is by Jerry Kuhnhausen and it is a first rate publication. The Germans sold the Chinese a contract of Mauser Banner rifles....the reciever ring has the Mauser banner on it...no mistaking them for what they are. I had a few of them too. The Chaing Kai Chek Mausers have the Chinese symbols but many of them are well made, produced on German machinery under Mauser supervision...early on at least. Read Olsons Mauser Bolt rifles.

lar45
01-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I bubbaized a Big-5 Turk special a few years back. The bore was way worn out. It slugged at something like .330? don't remember exactly now. I tried shooting it with Speer 150's and they held about a 12" pattern at 25 yds! At the suggestion of the guys here, I tried a longer bullet, the Speer 170. It had enough surface area to grab the rifleing and take a spin. Now it shoots into .8" at 100 yds loaded with 4064 to around 2600fps ish. I'm rather proud of my $125 Bubba. It was a rather well worn rifle to begin with.
My last Mauser, I picked up a couple of months ago is a Turk also, but it looks like it is brand spanking new. Their is not a blemish, dimple or smudge on it anywhere. I bought it with the intent of haveing parts, but I don't know if there is any collector interest in a nice looking Turk?? Is there? I'll go take some pics.

Ricochet
01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I'm interested in nice looking Turks as a collector, if the price is reasonable. I have no intention of Bubba-izing even a doggy one, frankly. I just love those old long Mausers, just the way they came. I like the Turks precisely because they haven't yet acquired a strong "collector" interest, and are affordable!