PDA

View Full Version : 45 LC Starline Brass/Rim Diameter Problems...

BCB
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I have somewhat of a mystery—at least it is to me…

I am shooting Starline 45 LC brass. And I am using a #20 RCBS shell holder. And, I am priming the cases with a Lee Auto Prime…

Unfortunately, I don’t have any new unfired cases to measure the rim diameter. I am using a Starrett micrometer to measure, so I am fairly certain the measurements are correct.

The problem I am having is when I place the primed and charged case in the press to seat the bullet, I can’t spin the case in the shell holder. I generally seat the bullet part way and the spin the case some and finish seating the bullets. Sometimes the case is even difficult to get into the shell holder. The case rim seems too large. New cases never have shown this concern.

I am shooting 9.0 grains of Unique or 17 grains of #9 and all of these fired cases fall from the chambers.

The rims of the cases that have been loaded and fired 3 or 4 times average 0.5113” in diameter. I can’t measure the inside of the RCBS shell holder.

Any thoughts? Is the shell holder a bit tight or are the rims flattening out and getting too large of a diameter? Starline brass a problem?

Thanks…BCB

leadeye
11-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I have some recently purchased new Starline 45 LC that I just measured at .509 rim diameter and it spins freely in the RCBS #20 shell holder. Rim thickness was .057. Hope this helps.

FN in MT
11-29-2008, 02:31 PM
.509" diam and .055" rim thickness.

BCB
11-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, I'm getting around 0.053" to 0.055" in thinkness for the rims also.

The rims seem to have some scratches on them--I wonder if the Lee shell holder is scratching them and causing a rough surface?

Anyone every have this type of problem?

Thanks...BCB

Swamprat1052
11-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I bought a set of Lee shell holders a while back and I couldnt get a case in 3 of them. I called Lee and they sent me new ones without sending the bad ones back. Sounded like it was a problem they were having regularly. Could be just a bad shell holder.

Swamprat

John Boy
11-29-2008, 06:09 PM
BCB ... My vote is with Swamprat. I've got 1500 Starline 45 Colt brass, from multiple lots, ready for the winter reloading. And I have never had a rim problem with any of the cases using a Lee shellholder or a Dillon 550

Tom W.
11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I've had scratches give me problems with my Redding shell holders and my rifles but it was brass that was given to me. My Starline brass hasn't been a problem with my RCBS shell holders.

timkelley
11-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I had that happen in the past with Winchester and Remington brass that had been fired a number of times. The problem turned out to be a shell holder that was a bit too tight (absolute minimum spec.), got a new shell holder and am happy as a clam.

be603
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Just ran through first 500 Starline 45 Colt cases I bought recently. Only "problem" I had with them on my LNL-AP was tight primer pockets and not getting some set deep enough. Just have to remember to grunt a little on the downstroke.

I'm sure I'll be glad for those tight pockets as they get loaded again (and again, and again).