PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the FA pile driver puller yet?

Rp-
07-01-2020, 08:45 AM
I have some magnum rounds with a heavy crimp that are taking 5-7 hard hits with my hammer puller. I was thinking about getting a collet puller but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the pile driver yet?

If so, dies it work well with a heavy crimp? Are they always working on the first go or do you have to do it 2-3 times on some rounds?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Rp-
07-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Well it looks like I'm gonna be the guinea pig [emoji23][emoji23]

Chuck Perry
07-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Ultimatereloader did a Youtube review of it. Seemed to work as advertised.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
07-02-2020, 02:20 PM
I've found that the striking surface makes a huge difference when using an inertia puller.

A pure lead ingot is the best thing I've found.

GONRA
07-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Over endless decades, GONRA has accumulated all sorts of "bullet pullers". Trick is - find (somehow) one that verks for YER particular application! NOT EZ!

Scrounge
07-02-2020, 07:12 PM
I have some magnum rounds with a heavy crimp that are taking 5-7 hard hits with my hammer puller. I was thinking about getting a collet puller but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the pile driver yet?

If so, dies it work well with a heavy crimp? Are they always working on the first go or do you have to do it 2-3 times on some rounds?

Never seen one like that. I've always used the hammer type, or done it the hard way with a pair of pliers. And that was long, long ago, and far, far away, and in another universe. ;)

I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

Bill

1hole
07-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Before trying to pull a bullet, seat it a few thou deeper to break the hold of the neck and any crimp.

Rp-
07-03-2020, 01:13 AM
Well I just ordered it from Amazon using my free gift cards. I use an app that gives me rebates for gas and cash it out in Amazon funds. It's pretty nice. I've bought a Lee ABLP press, Lee APP press, dies, night sights, a tumbler. .... It's great.

Any of you guys who drive a lot let me know. I use receipts from my work gas card.

Anyway, it says to expect it on the 12th-14th. I'll let you guys know how it does.

DocSavage
07-07-2020, 11:04 AM
I use a 4x4 post to pull bullets with my kinetic puller never takes more than two hits too work. End gets worn down to the chop saw and as good as new.

mattw
07-07-2020, 11:32 AM
How do you tie gas purchases to Amazon?

Rp-
07-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Ha. I use an app that gives me rebates for gas. It cashes out with gift cards for several different places (Cabela's, Walmart, target, Amazon, etc.) and I just pick Amazon gift cards anytime I get up to 10-20 bucks. In fact I just cashed out $18 last week and $10 yesterday. I'm thinking of using that for a couple Lee case length gauges. Ive made just over $700 since the end of September.

If you drive a lot (or at least buy a lot of gas) it's definitely worth using. You can ALS cash out to PayPal or a check if you have enough saved up.

Rp-
07-07-2020, 11:46 AM
How do you tie gas purchases to Amazon?If you buy a lot of gas and want to try it out send me a message and I'll get you going.

Rp-
07-12-2020, 01:35 PM
So I got the pile driver. It's interesting. It's a little hard to install but once you get that part it's easy to use. The problem is that it doesn't really work any faster or better than a hammer puller. It's sort of a lot of work. I'll try to post a video later.

Rp-
07-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Well, I put a total of 7 rounds through it Friday evening. Each taking an average of 3 "whacks" to remove the bullet. I decided to take a few minutes to make a video of it for you guys but decided to try another round before shooting the video.

...it failed on the first whack. The left side arm broke free from the carrier.

So, not only did I not even get 8 rounds unloaded, but the way the thing is mounted there are 2 screws under the carrier. I tried raising the carrier but the single remaining arm couldn't hold the weight of the springs and broke as well.

I was able to raise the carrier enough by hand to remove the bottom most screw but as you can see from the pictures I had to drill a hold through the carrier to remove the remaining screw to dismount the unit from the pillar.

I'll be emailing Frankford Arsenal now but last time I emailed them it took 3 weeks or so for them to get back to me. I'll keep you guys informedhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/40fd57375e37bad962906cc578b165ff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/5c012180b41e0fbf0185d7fc9a4ea909.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/3f8f9bc3e7694721c99a32f3ee1ef78f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/a7281fd1327a4444e7578864ccfad7a9.jpg

1hole
07-12-2020, 09:25 PM
I just watched the youtube pile-driver demonstration; that thing's an amazingly bulky, complex and awkward looking way to simply pull bullets. For small cartridges with little exposed bullet shank to grip, a kinetic puller works well. For bigger, longish bullets a collet type puller is excellent.

To each his own but I don't think I'm interested in a new fangled pile-driver puller at any price.

Rp-
07-12-2020, 09:29 PM
I would highly recommend anything else than this thing

abunaitoo
07-13-2020, 03:07 AM
Looks like a good tool if you have to pull lots of heads.
Not sure about it being made of plastic.

Burnt Fingers
07-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Looks like a good tool if you have to pull lots of heads.
Not sure about it being made of plastic.

Heads? Seriously? They're BULLETS.

Rp-
07-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Heads? Seriously? They're BULLETS.Apparently he also missed the part about it not being a very good tool...

onelight
07-13-2020, 12:57 PM
If I bought that through Amazon I would return it to them if you can .
Thanks for posting your experience .

Rp-
07-13-2020, 01:08 PM
I did start an Amazon return. It was sold through Amazon from midwayUSA. I don't anticipate any problems with the return. I'm just a bit disappointed.

onelight
07-13-2020, 02:55 PM
I did start an Amazon return. It was sold through Amazon from midwayUSA. I don't anticipate any problems with the return. I'm just a bit disappointed.

It's a shame it did not work better. The only FA tools I have used are the hand priming tool and the Rotary case tumbler kit and accessories they they both work well for me.
For pulling bullets I use the RCBS collet bullet puller or the hammer style . The hammer style works much better on concrete or a piece of RR track I use for an anvil or pulling bullets , but light bullets or heavy crimps require multiple whacks .
Thanks again for the review of the tool.

Rp-
07-13-2020, 02:59 PM
I have used a Frankford Arsenal dry tumbler for years without issue and within the last 5 months I've also picked up the F.A. wet tumbler and case prep machine. Both of those are great as well. I kinda feel like the pile driver had a design flaw. You can see in this picture that the piece that broke was a plastic piece. If they had a metal.rod that went all the way through and used c-clips to hold it together then this thing would work much better. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200713/3da3686fa5b84413c316621167683552.jpg

KenT7021
07-13-2020, 03:21 PM
I just set one up and used it today.I was pulling bullets from 1940 dated steel case 7.9 mm ammo.I have been unable to pull the bullets with collet bullet pullers and the hammer type impact drivers.It worked very well.The material used in construction doesn't inspire confidence in how long it will last.It does have a violent impact when activated.So far I like it.

Rp-
07-13-2020, 03:36 PM
It does have a violent impact when activated.

That's no joke! Mine was mounted to a 4x4 post on my back porch. My wife said it shook the whole house!

Hope you're goes smooth. Maybe I just got a bad one. **** happens. We'll see what F.A. says when they get back to me.

44magLeo
07-13-2020, 06:23 PM
I have not watch any videos of this thing in action. Too crappy an internet connection, Any way how does it work?
I did look at the pics from FA. You load a cartridge in the one part, Put this part in the tool and move the lever.
You mention springs, does this mean as you move the lever the cartridge is lifted, then the spring slam it down to remove the bullet? If so it seems to work a lot like the hammer type puller, but has more parts.
It cost a bit more as well.
I'll stick with my hammer tool.
When I first saw the pics I thought it was a tool that was a stand alone unit that either used a collet or some sort of spring type bullet gripper.
I'll keep whacking away with my hammer type or use the pliers.
Leo

Rp-
07-13-2020, 07:00 PM
You mention springs, does this mean as you move the lever the cartridge is lifted, then the spring slam it down to remove the bullet?

Yes. Basically an overly complicated inertia (hammer type) puller. I wish I could have made a video for you guys.

megasupermagnum
07-13-2020, 08:50 PM
I've got the Hornady collet pullers, but I don't like them for anything but certain jacketed bullets. The very fastest way is to drill a hole (I did 3/4") in a steel plate of about 2"x2". This plate protects the threads of the press. Then, using a shell holder of course, run your cartridge up in the press, and grab the bullet with whatever pliers works best for you. Finally lower the ram, and the bullet is removed. The bullet is destroyed in the process, but I only get so-so results with any remover, so I just plan on melting all pulled bullets.

I do use the inertia hammer most of the time. The keys are a hard surface, and a snapping action. I've tried a linotype pig, but I've got an old, hard as a rock railroad tie that works just as good. Plywood doesn't work well, pine 2x4 is horrible. Then the key is don't hit hard, hit fast. Rather than swing a hammer, snap your wrist. Most of the time it is a two hit deal for me. They rarely go all the way in one hit.

abunaitoo
07-14-2020, 02:32 AM
Heads? Seriously? They're BULLETS.

We call them heads here.
If you say bullets, you'll get loaded rounds.
It's a local thing.
But I've also seen them called heads in a few on-line sites.
To me, bullets is easier to say then cartridges.

abunaitoo
07-14-2020, 02:47 AM
Apparently he also missed the part about it not being a very good tool...

I did catch that.
But like any other tool, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Many think the collet puller is just junk.
Most leave a mark on the heads(bullets).
Hammer puller will not.
So which is better?????
Depends on the users preference.
It would probably be a great tool for those with arthritis.
Looks like the handle doesn't take much to move.
I have three different brands of collet pullers.
It makes less noise than the hammer puller.
Which one do I use the most?????
Hammer.
I'll probably never buy one of these pullers, but I can see the beauty of the design and concept.
Now if it were made of metal, and used a electric solenoid/motor to raise the ram, it could just find a place for some reloaders.

onelight
07-14-2020, 03:56 AM
We call them heads here.
If you say bullets, you'll get loaded rounds.
It's a local thing.
But I've also seen them called heads in a few on-line sites.
To me, bullets is easier to say then cartridges.
We call the head the end of the case where the primer is the end opposite the bullet . That's why people on the forum don't understand what you are referring to when you use head referring to the bullet .

Rp-
07-14-2020, 07:48 AM
I did catch that.
But like any other tool, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Many think the collet puller is just junk.
Most leave a mark on the heads(bullets).
Hammer puller will not.
So which is better?????
Depends on the users preference.
It would probably be a great tool for those with arthritis.
Looks like the handle doesn't take much to move.
I have three different brands of collet pullers.
It makes less noise than the hammer puller.
Which one do I use the most?????
Hammer.
I'll probably never buy one of these pullers, but I can see the beauty of the design and concept.
Now if it were made of metal, and used a electric solenoid/motor to raise the ram, it could just find a place for some reloaders.Fair enough. I'm looking at the grip and pull. I think I'll get one of those guys and see how it works for me. I'll have to fine sh these rounds with a hammer puller though because they're lead and the grip n pull might not work for it.

rockrat
07-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Have a guy in our gun club that moved here years ago from New York. He was talking about loading "heads" and I just looked at him with a questioning look on my face and said "loading what"?!!! Pulled out a box of bullets and I told him we say "bullets" here. He handed me a 270 round and said "this is a bullet", so went to say that is a cartridge or a round.

Your vernacular depends on where you grew up.

onelight
07-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Have a guy in our gun club that moved here years ago from New York. He was talking about loading "heads" and I just looked at him with a questioning look on my face and said "loading what"?!!! Pulled out a box of bullets and I told him we say "bullets" here. He handed me a 270 round and said "this is a bullet", so went to say that is a cartridge or a round.

That is true is a case head separation is supposed to happen with each pull of the trigger :grin:

1hole
07-14-2020, 05:56 PM
It has always astonished uneasily astonished me how many people who should know better can comfortably call stuff what it plainly isn't.

Like cartridges are "bullets" and bullets are "bullet heads" and brass cases are "shells" and black semi-auto rifles are "assault rifles" and a thousanth of an inch is written "0.0001 inch" and the many bullet casters who call melting lead in a pot "smelting" and a lot of other words which are not what they're being called.

Oh well, it's dumm but we learn to smile a bit and move on don't we? ;)

abunaitoo
07-15-2020, 02:46 AM
Reminds me of "soda".
Many places they call it "pop".

megasupermagnum
07-15-2020, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I also say "I'm heading up to _______"... even if I'm going somewhere south. It's still incorrect. At least pop is a nondescript word that can't really be mixed up with another drink. When the base of a cartridge case is called a head, it is kinda confusing to call the bullet a head too. Just sayin.

Scrounge
07-15-2020, 08:45 PM
It has always astonished uneasily astonished me how many people who should know better can comfortably call stuff what it plainly isn't.

Like cartridges are "bullets" and bullets are "bullet heads" and brass cases are "shells" and black semi-auto rifles are "assault rifles" and a thousanth of an inch is written "0.0001 inch" and the many bullet casters who call melting lead in a pot "smelting" and a lot of other words which are not what they're being called.

Oh well, it's dumm but we learn to smile a bit and move on don't we? ;)

And sometimes we grind our teeth while smiling and moving on...

Bill <--- too long as an editor, now resembles a grammar Nazi.

abunaitoo
07-18-2020, 02:35 AM
It's interesting how in different parts of the world, the same thing is called something else.
Here we get a kick out of people who say "Tuna Fish" when we call it "Ahi"
When I was young, I didn't know Ahi was Tuna.
Of course it's a different type of Tuna.
Bullets, heads, boolets, projectiles, cartridges, bullets, rounds, cases, shells.
Does it really matter what we call them, as long as we know what we're talking about????

ulav8r
07-18-2020, 09:03 PM
It matters if the person you are talking to is use to using proper terminology. In a forum like this, you are talking to persons from all over the world.

salpal48
07-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Looks like another gadget I have no intention on buying

1hole
07-23-2020, 06:38 PM
Bullets, heads, boolets, projectiles, cartridges, bullets, rounds, cases, shells.
Does it really matter what we call them, as long as we know what we're talking about????

Well, the problem isn't if we know what we're talking about; the problem is a lot of other folk won't know for sure what we're talking about. Like, if happen to tell someone I have three bullets in my pocket he may think I know what I'm talking about and believe me OR he may think I have three cartridges.

Words mean something. Being sloppy with our language by saying one thing when we mean another is not conducive to good communications, especially if one knows what he's talking about. That's how all autoloading rifles of any type and caliber have come to be evil "powerful military assault" rifles and it's very hard to intelligently discuss anything about that issue with the ignorant. (I think ignorant is a valid synonym for Democrat but none of them agree with me, they all think they're much more intelligent than average Americans no matter how dumb they are.) [Witness: The supposedly lovely and obviously semi-brilliant 30 year old Mz. A.O.C. from NYC!]

1hole
07-23-2020, 06:57 PM

Vernacular is one thing but there being no reference to "heads" on any box of factory bullets makes me wonder if that guy had ever bought a box of bullets or even read a reloading book! Or had he ever gone to a sports store wanting a box of .30-30 bullets in a 20 round box labeled "CARTRIDGES", etc.!

And those reloaders who call mechanical powder measures "powder throwers"; where in the world did they get that name?

Ah, well ... we in the South know we can alway tell the Irish, we can always tell the Dutch, we can always tell a Yankee but we cannot tell him much! (No offense intended to the north but southerners will know exactly what I'm talking about! :))

salpal48
07-23-2020, 08:33 PM
There is no Excuse for bad terminology. Loaders should No better

David2011
07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Just don’t trust any terminology from ar15.com.

pwc
07-30-2020, 11:59 PM
Well, the problem isn't if we know what we're talking about; the problem is a lot of other folk won't know for sure what we're talking about. Like, if happen to tell someone I have three bullets in my pocket he may think I know what I'm talking about and believe me OR he may think I have three cartridges.

Words mean something. Being sloppy with our language by saying one thing when we mean another is not conducive to good communications, especially if one knows what he's talking about. That's how all autoloading rifles of any type and caliber have come to be evil "powerful military assault" rifles and it's very hard to intelligently discuss anything about that issue with the ignorant. (I think ignorant is a valid synonym for Democrat but none of them agree with me, they all think they're much more intelligent than average Americans no matter how dumb they are.) [Witness: The supposedly lovely and obviously semi-brilliant 30 year old Mz. A.O.C. from NYC!]

I was banned for life from another well known site for precision shooters for calling COAL from the tip of the bullet to the cartridge base, and not from the base to the datum on the bottleneck and the space between the bolt face and a chambered round "headspace"...I was told that isn't what SAAMI defines as headspace. Well, everyone I know recognizes it as headspace, and Phil Sharpe defined it as such in his book, and I see it all over the i'net, but I guess that moderator got his panties on a bunch. He said I was giving dangerous information.

1hole
08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
I was banned for life from another well known site for precision shooters for calling COAL from the tip of the bullet to the cartridge base, and not from the base to the datum on the bottleneck and the space between the bolt face and a chambered round "headspace". ... that moderator got his panties on a bunch. He said I was giving dangerous information.

You're right of course, COAL means Cartridge Over All Length and Over All means exactly that, not the length to some headspace datum line on the shoulder.

That moderator has been "educated" beyond his intelligence level and he should be banned for life from anything with a key board.