PDA

View Full Version : Broken platinum nipple

Claudius
06-30-2020, 06:20 AM
Hi all, a friend of mine had a problem with a platinum nipple, it was new and never fired before. The hammer of the rifle, a Pedersoli Tryon Creedmoor, was damaged. Never seen a similar problem before, can the platinum nipples be used safely?

fgd135
06-30-2020, 09:57 AM
I think you need to post more details of what exactly happened and how.

Claudius
06-30-2020, 11:52 AM
The platinum nipple was used for the first time on the Tryon Creedmoor, the platinun insert jumped away and the tumbler was broken.

megasupermagnum
06-30-2020, 12:52 PM
It had an insert inside the nipple? No, I would not shoot anything with an insert that could blow out the top. All good nipples are one piece. Some say the longest lasting are made of Ampco. The stainless steel ones from TOTW have been great to me.

arcticap
06-30-2020, 01:54 PM
The platinum nipple was used for the first time on the Tryon Creedmoor, the platinun insert jumped away and the tumbler was broken.

The hammer blew back with enough force to damaged a lock part?
When the insert blew out, a lot more gas than normal escaped through the nipple?
I didn't realize how those platinum cones were made, but thought that a lot of long range competition shooters used them.
He should probably contact the vendor or the maker to report the incident and see if they'd be willing to own up to paying for the damage.
Or at least get some free replacement nipples.
When defective cartridge ammo damage guns they pay for repairs and want the ammo returned for inspection.
While defects can't be totally eliminated, thankfully no one was injured.
Where did he buy the nipple?
That could help warn others to be aware, and put the maker and the vendor on notice.
If someone else gets hurt after they're given notice, then there can be a lawsuit.

Claudius
06-30-2020, 03:42 PM
That defective platinum nipple is about 20 years old, so my friend doesn't remember where he got it.
Yes, and yes to your first 2 questions. Fotunately nobody was injured by this very bad accident.

waksupi
07-01-2020, 10:27 AM
It doesn't make sense that would break a tumbler. Something else is involved. I've seen nipples completely blown out of rifles without doing that.

Claudius
07-02-2020, 07:12 AM
It depends by how the nipple is blowing out, the pressure on the hammer is extremely high and a broken tumbler is a well known consequence.

Woodnbow
07-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Ampco nipples are well known for longevity, but if you shoot big bullets (450 grains and up) on large powder charges (70-120) from smaller bore rifles like.40 and up, the Ampco nipples won’t last as long as the platinum lined versions. Nipple erosion wreaks havoc on accuracy at long range which is the purpose of such rifles.

fgd135
07-05-2020, 05:00 PM
To even begin to get to a root cause, agreed.... more info is required. Sometimes a first clue is, "a friend had this, that or the other happen".

Agreed. Fwiw, the platinum lined nipples I use have the insert installed at the threaded end of the nipple. Looking at that it seems impossible for an insert to blow out of the rifle completely thru the nipple and towards the hammer, without the nipple itself exploding...