PDA

View Full Version : Why is is that I feel like I need a new caliber of gun???

44Blam
06-30-2020, 01:36 AM
I've got work to do on various powders/boolits for various caibers... BUT I am always tempted to get a _______....

The latest _______ is a 350 legend upper... I've got the hots for one, but why don't I just dial in my 308 with the new SW Precision powder???

This hobby - it just never ends...

Bazoo
06-30-2020, 01:54 AM
I have a slight case of it but mostly I'm more of a work out what I have kinda guy. There is a couple guns I want, but the list isn't endless. I've only got 8 guns at present, And most of them are the ones I want, so I really enjoy working out loads for them.

sutherpride59
06-30-2020, 02:57 AM
I’ve had the same temptation but I always buy new guns and and calibers based off of a specific job. If you assign a role to the gun and caliber you won’t regret it. For instance I had an M-1 carbine that wasn’t GI or collectible. Fun gun with zero recoil but not good for hunting anything serious, the brass isn’t very common and it just didn’t serve a real purpose. Love my 300 BO because it runs great for cast pressures, use it for hunting and S hits the fan defensive gun. 223 brass will be around forever to convert to 300 brass, I can shoot subs with my suppressor or supers for bigger game. It has a purpose and won’t become a safe queen. Just my opinion and some folks are collectors and some love having safe queens but it ain’t my deal. That being said anyone want to buy a 1919 A4 lol

Cosmic_Charlie
06-30-2020, 07:17 AM
Because you want to buy brass and dies and a shell holder and some molds and some different powder. And you like finding packages on your front steps.

MrWolf
06-30-2020, 07:40 AM
If I see something I want I basically buy it. Divorce did give me some freedom to do that so...

10x
06-30-2020, 07:48 AM
When I started I wanted every caliber, each one had mystique and magic.
Then I started to cast bullets, and every 30 caliber, 30/06, 308, 300 win mag became the ballistic equivalent of my 30-30.
Bore diameter is another trap for the cast bullet shooter. Gotta have a 22, 243, 270, 7mm, 30 cal, 8 mm 35 cal, 9.3 mm and 45 caliber colt, and 45/70???
My 222, 223, and 22/250 have all become variations of my 22 hornet except they take more powder to do the same thing with cast bullets.
Powder coat? An exciting new bullet coating that is an alternative to greasy bullets and it does give increase accuracy and increased velocity - your mileage may vary.

The worst was when I scored several thousand range brass in 308 after a LEO qualifying shoot.
With powder coated cast bullets my new 308 is my new 30/30 (ballisticaly speaking.... )

There is no such thing as saving money by going to cast bullets and reloading. It is like owning a jet boat - a hole in the water surrounded by aluminium in which you can pour limitless money....
Well a gun is a hole in a tube which you pass cast (and other) bullets through and it can cost you every spare nickle you have to feed it.

sharps4590
06-30-2020, 07:49 AM
If it's interesting to me, is in a rifle that appeals to me and is chambered for an exceedingly uncommon, out of production cartridge which requires thought, forming, turning and load development on my part, it usually ends up in my toy box. If it's popular, common as dirt and every mother's son has one...it doesn't appeal to me in the least.

nueces5
06-30-2020, 08:04 AM
20 years ago, I bought my single station press, to save money.
I've only shot more.
I have weapons at the bottom of the safe that come out once a year for cleaning.
I prefer to have few and shoot more.
But I think I could sell some and get a 300 WM or 338 LM long range rifle, if in Argentina there was always powder for those calibers.
And a single action 44 mag.
With those two I'm fine.

bedbugbilly
06-30-2020, 10:37 AM
A couple of years ago, I decided "O.K. . . enough is enough". Like many, I had accumulated "stuff"" - dies, molds, brass for cartridges that I thought that I wanted to load and shoot - but didn't have a rifle/pistol for at the time. I went through and sold off the stuff I didn't sues - 30-06, 32-20, 308, 45 ACP, etc.. It felt good to be "lighter" and I was going to concentrate on just what I was shooting. Well . . .that plan went south after about a year ago. I added a .223 rifle as I had shot with a buddy who got me hooked on the cartridge. I had sold my 30-30s as I no longer hunted nor shot them much - now I'm looking at another rifle since I have a place to shoot our here in AZ and a friend to shoot with. The "hobby" is a "sickness" with o cure . . . so just enjoy it and keep o telling yourself that you are "saving money" by reloading . . . there's bout to be someone who will believe you! LOL

Dapaki
06-30-2020, 10:47 AM
I've got work to do on various powders/boolits for various caibers... BUT I am always tempted to get a _______....

The latest _______ is a 350 legend upper... I've got the hots for one......

YES! Buy it! It's only $229.00!

You want it because it's sexy, it's a straight wall, it's legal to hunt deer with in.... gosh dern near every state now? Because You can size just about any .38 or .357 round and if it has an ogive or a TC, it will feed! 90gr .380 PC boolits to 200gr +, you pick your poison!

Also... black powder. Yupper, kicked with a few grains of 4198. Messy? Yes but fun to try!

I love mine, cant you tell?

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/350-legend-16-parkerized-m4-barrel-1-16-twist-carbine-length-gas-system-12-mlok-split-rail-side-charging-upper

bluejay75
06-30-2020, 11:39 AM
I streamlined all of my firearms to limit the components I needed on hand. I salivate over the new calibers but I like knowing I only deal in calibers that are so cheap it renders reloading unnecessary, common enough to find everywhere, ammo I can use in a pistol and a rifle. Just my 2 cents. 38/357, 44 Magnum, 7.62x39 AR’s, 308 Rifles and the one outlier...450 Bushmaster. Only because it can do what a 44 could never do.

mdi
06-30-2020, 11:58 AM
A new caliber is always exciting and the research into dies, components, and load data is always fun. I often get a thought; "I don't have one of those and I wonder...". The last few times I thought that resulted in 3 new guns, 2 new die sets, new bullets or molds, and maybe new powders (I already have a lot of powder). Researching loads and fine tuning each takes a few months before I see a "new and exciting" caliber/gun to me. In the last 18 months I have delved into a new 9mm pistol and loads added to my 9mm group, a 380 ACP pistol and loads a 32 ACP pistol and loads.

Conditor22
06-30-2020, 03:34 PM
I had the delusion that I could complete load workup on all my handguns last year and all my long guns this year:groner::holysheep WAS I WRONG.

Maybe IF I had a shooting range out my back door or better yet out the window or my reloading room. I think I'm trying to find the best load with tooooooooo many different powders and boolits (weights and designs).

Either I limit the extent of my testing or plan on spending several more years at it (which isn't a bad idea).

As to getting a new gun --- this is a high probability, getting a new caliber, dies, molds........ not likely for a while.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-30-2020, 05:27 PM
Handled a plain jane Rock Island 1911 today. Tight barrel lock up and nice trigger. And being that it is devoid of custom parts I could have some fun perfecting it. Yes, I would need molds and dies and sizing bushings and a holster. I really do need a 1911 again.

dverna
06-30-2020, 06:30 PM
I am so glad I got past that stage. Just mental masturbation thinking you "need" something new and "improved"

I have sold off dozens of guns and do not miss any of them. There is nothing that I need done, to kill game, defend my home, or have fun that cannot be done with my .22 LR's, 5.56's and .308's in rifles and .22 LR's, 9mm's, .38/357's, 40's in pistols. And I could shed the .40's but have kept them for now. When I think back of the BS I devoured from gun rags and "experts" it makes me smile.

I have a buddy like that. Had the hots for the 6.5 CreedLess when he had a great Tikka in .270.

BTW, add in a 12 ga and there is nothing that walks or flies within 1000 miles of me I could not hunt.

Most of my shooting is with the .38 Spl in both carbines and pistols. Just so darn cheap for ringing steel, flipping the dueling tree or punching paper. Love the total lack of case preparation (except for cleaning) and making 700 per hour on the 1050 without any dramatics.

I will never buy another caliber. I have thought about me needs carefully.

mdi
07-01-2020, 11:50 AM
I wonder if anyone bothers to analyze a new rod or reel purchase? Or what about the new super catfish/bass/crappie/ling cod/ tuna/barracuda killer lure?

Scrounge
07-01-2020, 12:06 PM
...That being said anyone want to buy a 1919 A4 lol

Yes, but... Gotta win the lottery first. Not doing so well on that score. ;)

Scrounge
07-01-2020, 12:13 PM
I am so glad I got past that stage. Just mental masturbation thinking you "need" something new and "improved"

I have sold off dozens of guns and do not miss any of them. There is nothing that I need done, to kill game, defend my home, or have fun that cannot be done with my .22 LR's, 5.56's and .308's in rifles and .22 LR's, 9mm's, .38/357's, 40's in pistols. And I could shed the .40's but have kept them for now. When I think back of the BS I devoured from gun rags and "experts" it makes me smile.

I have a buddy like that. Had the hots for the 6.5 CreedLess when he had a great Tikka in .270.

BTW, add in a 12 ga and there is nothing that walks or flies within 1000 miles of me I could not hunt.

Most of my shooting is with the .38 Spl in both carbines and pistols. Just so darn cheap for ringing steel, flipping the dueling tree or punching paper. Love the total lack of case preparation (except for cleaning) and making 700 per hour on the 1050 without any dramatics.

I will never buy another caliber. I have thought about me needs carefully.

Some people outgrow addictions. Or find others. When I was a teenager, I had a 3-pack a day smoking addiction starting up. Found out one day that I could get 5 used paperback books for what it cost for my 3 packs a day. ($0.35/pack) Quit smoking that day, gave my last pack to my dad. Won't claim it's saved me any money, but I think it's a bit healthier. ;) Trying to back off the books a little bit, now. Need something a bit more active. So I'm puttering in the workshop trying to clean up, restore, and convert a couple of old Stevens boy's rifles in .32RF to .32 Colt centerfire. Once the conversions are done, I'll have something to walk a field with. Then I need to find a field. ODTAA.

quilbilly
07-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Who doesn't love a new toy to play with? A new challenge that will keep you entertained for months.

mdi
07-01-2020, 03:09 PM
I don't consider my hobbies an "addiction", even in a humorous way of speaking. when I started shooting and reloading I didn't have much money for my hobby and was able to get along just fine if I wasn't able to partake. But for my addictions (smoking, booze and women) I had to find a way no matter how much angst it caused...

Bazoo
07-01-2020, 07:50 PM
I don't consider it an addiction. A lifestyle, a passion, life's work, but not an addiction. The only difference between being into guns and technology is that guns no longer are a driving force in our economy, like they were for the 3 centuries prior.

megasupermagnum
07-01-2020, 08:04 PM
I don't consider it an addiction. A lifestyle, a passion, life's work, but not an addiction. The only difference between being into guns and technology is that guns no longer are a driving force in our economy, like they were for the 3 centuries prior.

From what I can tell, 12-16 million firearms are sold in this country every year currently. That seems like a rather important sector of an economy to me.

megasupermagnum
07-01-2020, 08:09 PM
I buy all kinds of stuff, just because. For guns, one of my most recent was a Contender in 309jdj. I don't like Contenders, and I don't like deer hunting with rifles. Yet, I felt it would be cool to have one. And it was cool, until I realized it would likely just sit forever, never used.

Some have been great. I've got a Henry rifle in 327 federal, just because I wanted a rifle in that caliber. I love it. I've got a Springfield M1A that I bought for no reason other than I always thought the M14 was the finest semi automatic rifle ever produced.

If need had any part in this, I should have stopped at a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger GP100.

44Blam
07-02-2020, 01:53 AM
YES! Buy it! It's only $229.00!

You want it because it's sexy, it's a straight wall, it's legal to hunt deer with in.... gosh dern near every state now? Because You can size just about any .38 or .357 round and if it has an ogive or a TC, it will feed! 90gr .380 PC boolits to 200gr +, you pick your poison!

Also... black powder. Yupper, kicked with a few grains of 4198. Messy? Yes but fun to try!

I love mine, cant you tell?

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/350-legend-16-parkerized-m4-barrel-1-16-twist-carbine-length-gas-system-12-mlok-split-rail-side-charging-upper

Damn you... Convinced the wife and now I got one in the mail... Pretty sure I'm gonna love it...

fastdadio
07-02-2020, 05:57 AM
Damn you... Convinced the wife and now I got one in the mail... Pretty sure I'm gonna love it...

You're not alone. Mine arrived two weeks ago. You will not be disappointed. Give the barrel a good scrubbing when you get it. Mine took a lot of cleaning to get a clean patch out of it. I got a mil-spec, Aero Precision lower on sale from my local dealer for $200.00 bux, and a brass catcher that clips on to the pic rail.
I live and hunt in a no rifle zone, so this little carbine is going to be a nice addition.

MrWolf
07-02-2020, 06:20 AM
My girlfriend and I were just talking about my "hobby" last night. Told her could be worse. I could be smoking, drinking, and womanizing. I like my guns. Unlike the Left's, mine dont go running around shooting people when I am not looking. They are a bit promiscuous though as I swear they breed. Cleaned out my walk in closet for her to use and found two ar15 lowers. Did I mention I love my hobby and have not nor will I ever sell or trade one? Let the kids worry about it when I am gone. Hoping son keeps them but who knows.

Texas by God
07-02-2020, 07:49 AM
I have a core group of "needed" guns. The others come and go as I get something I want, play with it a while then let it go to someone else. But the core group grows for some reason.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tctender
07-02-2020, 08:44 AM
New toys are fun to play with. Have one i have been wanting showed up recently and keep telling myself dont need it. Have about 10 contender barrel sets i have not even shot yet. But they are nice to have and looking forward to them when i get time.

mdi
07-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Hmmm. I may have one or two of those promiscuous guns as they seem to multiply when I ain't looking. That or my gun safe is shrinking...

fcvan
07-05-2020, 09:48 PM
I wonder if anyone bothers to analyze a new rod or reel purchase? Or what about the new super catfish/bass/crappie/ling cod/ tuna/barracuda killer lure?

When I was still fishing for tuna out of Crescent City, the most productive lure was a plain corky. Colors didn't seem to matter. Ling Cod was lead head jigs, other bottom fish was shrimp fly rigs. I think its time to wet a line, I'm out west visiting grand babies and my brother.

Big Boomer
07-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Few years ago I made what I thought was a reasonable low-ball out-the-door offer for a new S&W in .41 Mag. The dealer nearly cried as he sniveled around for a few minutes, then took me up on my offer. I'd had a few .41s before and had an ample supply of brass so why not. Shortly afterward a gun dealer advertised that he had a couple of Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers. The price was dirt cheap (a little over $ 500 for a new Blackhawk, so I got that one. Both the .41 S&W & Ruger .30 Carbine are great shooters. Over the years I've been a brass scrounger (no one else here so afflicted I presume) and I have a lifetime supply of .40 S&W brass (already de-primed, cleaned & ready to load), dies, etc., but no .40 gun. So what's a guy to do in a situation like that? Big Boomer

44Blam
07-05-2020, 11:08 PM
Few years ago I made what I thought was a reasonable low-ball out-the-door offer for a new S&W in .41 Mag. The dealer nearly cried as he sniveled around for a few minutes, then took me up on my offer. I'd had a few .41s before and had an ample supply of brass so why not. Shortly afterward a gun dealer advertised that he had a couple of Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers. The price was dirt cheap (a little over $ 500 for a new Blackhawk, so I got that one. Both the .41 S&W & Ruger .30 Carbine are great shooters. Over the years I've been a brass scrounger (no one else here so afflicted I presume) and I have a lifetime supply of .40 S&W brass (already de-primed, cleaned & ready to load), dies, etc., but no .40 gun. So what's a guy to do in a situation like that? Big Boomer

Buy a Glock 35 and a KKM barrel... Then the NOE HTC402-188-WFN really shoots nice under some AA#7 in it... Super accurate and just fun to shoot. ;)

Big Boomer
07-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Thanks 44Blam. Just might do that. Big Boomer

hpdrifter
07-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Because the mystical rifle/caliber does not exist; there is always one more that might do the trick.
Always searching for that magic combo that answers all desires.

If my eyesight would cooperate, I could be happy with just a few rifles..........now,
The Winchester 94 carbine in 38-55 could handle just about all my NEEDS.
I am extremely hesitant to mount a scope on a lever; to me it just defeats the purpose of a carbine.
If I wanted to use a scope, I'd have to have a bolt and TO ME they are not "elegant".
So, just that dilemma throws me into the search.

but it demands that I look for THE ONE.

charlie b
07-06-2020, 09:42 PM

Well....yes!!! I do. Whether it is a new fly rod or reel or both. Or a bait casting rig or spinning reel. And just today I had to run 50miles to Cabella's to replace a bunch of crank bait lures that I had lost due to fish, rocks, trees, etc. And, yes, only those would do. :) And don't get me started on fly tying and getting specific threads, hooks, beads, etc. Then there are tippets, leaders, indicators, etc. Whether or not I need new fly line this year and if I do which brand and model do I get. Or which model of fly tying vise I needed to buy to replace my 20 year old beginner version.

Mr_Sheesh
07-09-2020, 01:16 AM
Why would you NOT feel like you need a new fun toy? :)

I am sooo tempted to get a Glock 40 in 10mm just to play, but there are other fun things I want too...

Fishing stories - Once was bottom fish fishing and the darn things wouldn't bother biting our baited hooks, but they'd bite and hold on to the pyramid sinkers we were bottom bumping with (in Puget Sound area.) That was sorta ... weird. Too long ago so I'm honestly not sure if it was Ling Cod or Halibuts, that was about 1977 or something...

thraxx
07-16-2020, 10:27 AM
I've got the same "problem", I'm always finding a new and interesting caliber. The most recent is a .50GI glock conversion, but I can justify it! :wink: I have a .50AE that I bought a mold for... well that shares bullets with the .50BEO, so I had to get an upper... and those can cross over with the .50GI... and I can dabble in the .500S&W... and Mihec has interesting .500 molds...

gwpercle
07-16-2020, 01:22 PM
It's Fun !

Keeps you home at night and away from all those Bars and Strip Clubs !

I haven't gotten in a bar room brawl and arrested for D&D (drunk and disorderly) since I started casting and reloading ...my wife even approves of this hobby!

Gary

44Blam
07-17-2020, 01:59 AM
It's Fun !

Keeps you home at night and away from all those Bars and Strip Clubs !

I haven't gotten in a bar room brawl and arrested for D&D (drunk and disorderly) since I started casting and reloading ...my wife even approves of this hobby!

Gary

This is the most Cajun thing I've heard in more than a year. I'm inspired - after shooting this weekend, I'm gonna make some gumbo.

Geezer in NH
07-17-2020, 06:08 PM

The latest _______ is a 350 legend upper... I've got the hots for one, but why don't I just dial in my 308 with the new SW Precision powder???

Sexual insecurity. Are you not sure?

45-70 Chevroner
07-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Well I still have too many and in August I will turn 79. I have at present given away to my grandkids about 30 guns. Back in about 1977 I got the bug to get into Contenders, at one point I think I had about 15 different calibers. Of course I had to have all the casting and reloading equipment for each one. It took me a very long time to realize that I only need 3 different calibers, a 223, a 44mag, and a 30-30 all in 14". Those three will do every thing I need to do with a single shot pistol. I do get tempted now and then for a new barrel but then I remind my self that you can't buy just a barrel.

44Blam
07-20-2020, 11:29 PM
So far I really like the 350 legend upper...

fastdadio
07-21-2020, 07:28 PM
So far I really like the 350 legend upper...

I haven't shot mine yet. too much life getting in the way... maybe this weekend the planets will line up and I'll get it out to the range for a sight it.

Jtarm
07-23-2020, 01:28 AM
If you enjoy tinkering, it’s fun.

I have a lot of guns but not that many different calibers. I prefer to find a few loads that do what I need and run lots of them.

rmark
07-23-2020, 04:27 PM
I solved the too many caliber/brass problem by buying 13 muzzleloaders. Instead I have endless patch, ball, and bullet sizes to keep track of.