PDA

View Full Version : Boar raccoon--getting rid of??

rockrat
06-29-2020, 09:53 PM
Been having raccoon problems getting in the bird feed. Got a game camera and that sucker is pretty big. Can stand on its hind legs and is longer than the 30 gal trash can is tall. Been bending the metal lid to try and get in. Had a ratchet strap thru both handles and a few tie downs and thing still got in. Figured its a big male

Have a Havahart trap but thing is too wary. Using canned cat food. Anything else might be more tempting you can think of??

murf205
06-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Sardines, they are like crack to 'coons. Then apply a 40 gr CCI Quiet and it tits up for Mr Coon!

cwtebay
06-29-2020, 10:10 PM
#1 leg hold at the base of the trash can. Smear the aforementioned sardines on the lid of the can so he will stand in it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bayjoe
06-29-2020, 10:15 PM
good advice from cwtebay he knows what he's talking about

Ateam
06-29-2020, 10:16 PM
I use what they call a "dog proof" trap, raccoons love to stick their hands in things, haven't seen one yet that can resist one with a few dog food pellets in it. Then dispatch with whatever your preferred method is. Make sure you anchor it to something solid as they can tear up most anything shy of a t-post.

richhodg66
06-29-2020, 10:18 PM
We had one (didn't know exactly what it was at the time) coming on the front porch at night because we had an outdoor cat and sometimes there would be food there. I tried the Havahart traps, caught possums now and then, just erlocated them, but often, the trap would be tripped with nothing in it.

If you're in town, this won't work, but I decided I'd had enough and parked the truck backed in to the carport adjacent to the porch and sat in the passenger seat with the window rolled down with a .22 rifle. I had managed to nail down within an hour or two what time of night it came by, but could never see it. Anyway, about the time I expected, it came in, made a few passes to make sure the coast was clear, it even came up to the side of the truck and stared at the window, I just froze so as not to scare it. Darn thing was wary. Then it went up the steps of the porch which put a hedge between me and it so I could get into position to shoot. Didn't take long since there wasn't any cat food and when it stepped back down on the steps, I shot it four or five times. The first shot anchored it, but it thrashed and growled and kicked for a while so I kept shooting, those things die hard. It was a big, old smart one which was missing one of its front paws.

Winger Ed.
06-29-2020, 10:41 PM
Put a blanket or cardboard box over the trap except for the door.

We have some college educated raccoons here, and it works on them.

megasupermagnum
06-29-2020, 11:32 PM
If you can't catch him in the act, then the best thing would be 3-4 leg hold traps buried at the base of the bird feeder in question.

abunaitoo
06-30-2020, 04:11 AM
How big can they grow?????
They look kind of cute.
But so do skunks.

EDG
06-30-2020, 04:50 AM
My grandfathers trick for trapping feed eating coons.
The shed floor was small and he put 5 to 6 traps around the feed sacks.
When we checked the traps the coons would have several of the traps stuck on him as he thrashed around trying to escape.
A club or claw hammer did the dirty work. No bait, ammo or .22 was needed and was a good thing since some of the ranch land was 5 to 8 miles from the house.

RU shooter
06-30-2020, 06:21 AM
When I used to trap a cheap brand peanut butter was all I ever used as on bait , would just smear a big dollop of it on the base of a tree above the leghold trap . A small strip of tin foil on a string right above the bait would help peak their curiosity .

winelover
06-30-2020, 06:35 AM
I use DP coon traps set at base of birdfeeder. Dog and cat safe. Mini marshmallows for bait. Then dispatch with 22 LR.

https://www.duketraps.com/

Winelover

Thundarstick
06-30-2020, 06:46 AM
I use DP coon traps set at base of birdfeeder. Dog and cat safe. Mini marshmallows for bait. Then dispatch with 22 LR.

https://www.duketraps.com/

Winelover

Same here.

Neverhome
06-30-2020, 07:07 AM
Here’s what I do around here. I’m in the city but back up to the river. Lots of coons.
I establish a spot with visibility for me to sit and watch from inside the house through my back double doors. Game cam watches the spot and gives me an idea of when they come. They don’t quite come at reliable times but at least I get a ballpark. I have a red led spotlight shining on my chosen spot. I’ve tried green also but I got better results with all pest types with red.
I have a piece of pale wood at my kill location that they show up well against.
I use a 25 cal pcp air rifle with a 56 diameter scope so I can see. The red light is pretty dim so I need the help.
I bait with leftovers usually. Small things work best. Things they have to stay to eat. Dry dog food mixed with pan drippings. Anything really.
Anyway, I can sit with the lights off in my den watching tv and keep an eye on my spot out back.
It’s fairly effective until the foxes get wise to it and start stealing all the bait. I like the foxes here. No one has any chickens or other targets for them. They don’t cause any issues here. If they did I’d pop them too.

Neverhome
06-30-2020, 07:16 AM
To be fair, I’m sure my way isn’t the most EFFICIENT way. But I really enjoy it

snowwolfe
06-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Same here.

Me to. Duke traps are awesome and so are the mini marshmellows. Coons go crazy over them. And they don't stink or have any lingering oils like sardines do.

Froogal
06-30-2020, 10:05 AM
Raccoons are especially fond of sweet soda pop. Dissolve a little of something else in the soda pop and then you can just pick up that big 'ol coon and dispose of him. We call it raccoon kool-ade.

bedbugbilly
06-30-2020, 10:22 AM
I used to live trap them and then transplant them - miles away. My best baits were a small wedge of watermelon, a small wedge of cantaloupe, a can of tuna fish or a jelly roll. One thing I learned early on was to secure the bit iwht a piece of wire at the end opposite the opening or otherwise, those pesky coons would be able to get it out and not get trapped. The older ones were smart . . . the younger ones? Not so much.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Dogproof traps - then a 38 wadcutter, 22's OK but something bigger is quicker, the big ones die hard, Out here noise is not a problem. I like sub-sonic 22LR hollowpoints for quiet, have used CCI and Aguila out of a 26" Mossberg 46Bb. The longer barrel is quieter.

DougGuy
06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
We had coons in the neighborhood getting our feeders and getting in the garden. I set out a bait made with cat food under chicken wire they can't get at the can except by reaching through the openings, then I face it toward a window in the house that I have taken the screen off and left the window open and the door shut. I use a HF ding dong driveway alert to tell me when something is moving in the back yard. The back light is on and focused with tin foil to only illuminate the "bait" and it forces them to face me, where they are dispatched with a hot rodded .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder air rifle. Aim point is center of an imaginary X drawn between their ears and eyes.

I had an old she coon take a heavy pellet right in the middle of her skull, she recoiled and groaned and then took off much to my surprise. Buzzards found her in the front yard, dime sized flat spot on her skull but no penetration. I was shocked as she took this hit head on and wasn't drt. After I got done with the mods to the Marauder, it will shoot through 1/2" of plywood, so my coon medicine is powerful stuff now, would probably take a whitetail with a head shot no problem. And, neighborhood friendly quiet.

MaryB
06-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Been a few years since I had to deal with a trash panda. I would create a bait pile in front of a dirt pile out in my wild patch in the backyard, the back LED deck lights light it up well. I sat on my upper deck in the dark with a light right underneath me so looking at me from the bait pile you see nothing, then read and watch and when they came in to the bait(marshmellows, sweet rolls, tuna...) I use the 22 on them. I am in city limits but the neighbor across the street isn't and he shoots all the time so nobody notices a 22 pop...

I do have permission to take coyotes coming into town across the field behind my house so use of a rifle is legal. I use that upper deck as a shooting platform to see better into the dip in the field they like to use. Being 14' off the ground helps!

Winger Ed.
06-30-2020, 04:30 PM
. Being 14' off the ground helps!

That set up is also real close to being the ultimate deer stand.:bigsmyl2:

LUCKYDAWG13
06-30-2020, 09:44 PM
Put a banana in your have heart trap you will get him Putting smelly fish baits in you're likely will get a possum or a skunk

legend 550
06-30-2020, 09:53 PM
Be leave it or not Marshmallows are the best bait I've found, they cant resist em. Coca cola with a little Gold marlin if you want to poison them won't make it 10 feet.

rockrat
06-30-2020, 09:53 PM
Think I will double bait the trap, a part of a fluff-r-nutter sandwich and a piece of banana!!

As dumb as my cats are, they would probably like the Coca Cola and Golden malrin mix!!

Though about making some jello shots and let the thing get drunk then take care of him, except been coming around at about 2 am. Might still be there in the morning!!

Geezer in NH
06-30-2020, 11:39 PM
We use DP's also, baited with either Honey nut cherrios or fruit loops mix both with mini-marshmallows deadly on them mostly only need 1 nite sets. 1 shot with 22lr with silencer.

Coons kick like mad when shot in the head every time for 15-30 seconds, never had one not.

Don't worry about accidental dog or kitty catches.

Fine to take if your bird feed is for your livestock chickens. But at this time of year in NH it will be illegal baiting of a furbearer if for the tweetie birds.

Law allows protecting crops and live stock, not wild birds. Answer is take in your bird feeders when for the wild birds you watch.

Jniedbalski
06-30-2020, 11:45 PM
What is the golden marlyn?

762 shooter
07-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Feed him for a week with the havahart locked open so it won't trip.

When he gets comfortable at the feed station arm the trap.

Caught many a wary coon this way.

Buzz Krumhunger
07-01-2020, 06:26 AM
What is the golden marlyn?

A poison bait for flies. Golden Malrin. Manufactured by Starbar. Tractor Supply, Amazon, or your local feed store should have it.

trapper9260
07-01-2020, 06:46 AM
A poison bait for flies. Golden Malrin. Manufactured by Starbar. Tractor Supply, Amazon, or your local feed store should have it.

When you use that make sure no pets are around , it will kill anything that drink it. You normal mix it with mountian dew .

buckwheatpaul
07-01-2020, 07:12 AM
They love marshmallows.....

Froogal
07-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Think I will double bait the trap, a part of a fluff-r-nutter sandwich and a piece of banana!!

As dumb as my cats are, they would probably like the Coca Cola and Golden malrin mix!!

Though about making some jello shots and let the thing get drunk then take care of him, except been coming around at about 2 am. Might still be there in the morning!!

Nope! One of our cats followed me around the backyard as I we replenishing the kool-ade bowls. The cat stuck his nose into every one of those bowls, kind of just shook his head, and went on his way.

poppy42
07-01-2020, 11:25 AM
No no no! You guys are all wrong! Just put up a no raccoons allowed sign!:bigsmyl2:ha ha ha ha

Sorry I just couldn’t resist

MaryB
07-01-2020, 03:57 PM
That set up is also real close to being the ultimate deer stand.:bigsmyl2:

One of our deer stands used to be the deck off the island int he kitchen. it over looked a ravine the deer ran in. Shot a nice buck that was kind enough to run out into the yard by the tree we hang them from before kicking the bucket, tied to the tractor bucket, lifted it, tied it off...

jonp
07-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Been having raccoon problems getting in the bird feed. Got a game camera and that sucker is pretty big. Can stand on its hind legs and is longer than the 30 gal trash can is tall. Been bending the metal lid to try and get in. Had a ratchet strap thru both handles and a few tie downs and thing still got in. Figured its a big male

Have a Havahart trap but thing is too wary. Using canned cat food. Anything else might be more tempting you can think of??

Sardines in oil. If he is local find his den then set the trap against the opening with a blanket over it. Make sure you wear rubber gloves so there is no scent. Dish washing gloves will work if you have no elbow length trapping gloves

jonp
07-02-2020, 04:55 PM
One of our deer stands used to be the deck off the island int he kitchen. it over looked a ravine the deer ran in. Shot a nice buck that was kind enough to run out into the yard by the tree we hang them from before kicking the bucket, tied to the tractor bucket, lifted it, tied it off...

Step father was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast and watched a nice 8pt drinking from the pond out back. Got his 30-06 and shot him in his slippers and bathrobe out the back door then got his wool plaid on, loaded the deer and drove it out to hunting camp where he took pictures of it. Never let him forget that.

Blanket
07-02-2020, 08:31 PM
I use a piece of bread covered with peanut butter and dry cat food in live traps. Also the traps I make myself for bobcats so they are a lot bigger than a havaheart

snowwolfe
07-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Sardines in oil. If he is local find his den then set the trap against the opening with a blanket over it. Make sure you wear rubber gloves so there is no scent. Dish washing gloves will work if you have no elbow length trapping gloves

Coons could care less about human scent. I never once wore gloves when setting or baiting a coon trap.

richhodg66
07-03-2020, 10:58 PM
I use a piece of bread covered with peanut butter and dry cat food in live traps. Also the traps I make myself for bobcats so they are a lot bigger than a havaheart

Are these traps big enough for coyotes?

gnostic
07-03-2020, 11:50 PM
After having run into a huge skunk in my front yard a few nights ago, I did some online research. Apparently, coons and skunks will go away, if you spray predator urine, that can be purchased at feed stores....

Driver33
07-04-2020, 04:47 AM
I always used strawberry jam or dry cat food spiked with cherry flavoring for bait in live traps. I also would put cinder blocks around the trap so the the coon wouldn't move it around and accidentally trip it.

rockrat
07-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Have a game camera set up, durn thing was sleeping on the deck this morning and wife saw it asleep (about 7:30). Looked out the back door and it was headed out of the back yard. Took out my .22 but it was at the fence line of the neighbor ,so I let it be. Strange it being out in daylight.
It ignored the peanut butter, marshmellow and canned cat food in the trap.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Question on a related subject.

What do you guys use on ground squirrels? The whole neighborhood is contaminated with them. I have caught several in a have a heart trap, but I want to catch all that I can. I use peanut butter, but the snails have found it and eat it off the tray.

Thanks

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Winger Ed.
07-04-2020, 11:00 PM
I use peanut butter, but the snails have found it and eat it off the tray.

I put my 1/4 of a PB sandwich in a plastic bag, hang it from the top of the trap with holes, and pieces of the bag cut off
so the smell gets out, and they can still see it.

Brokenbear
07-06-2020, 01:11 PM
Have a game camera set up, durn thing was sleeping on the deck this morning and wife saw it asleep (about 7:30). Looked out the back door and it was headed out of the back yard. Took out my .22 but it was at the fence line of the neighbor ,so I let it be. Strange it being out in daylight.
It ignored the peanut butter, marshmellow and canned cat food in the trap.

Be very wary ..when a coon acts not normal it's likely not normal ..seeing a coon push a raid in waning daylight headed for sundown is one thing ..quite another asleep on a porch at 7:30 am bright light of day ..distemper, rabies and a whole host of virus and parasites come to mind as I read your post ..DO NOT go barefooted on your porch as many of the just mentioned ailments are transferred via urine and feces to humans ..even if the stuff is dry the parasite especially can survive a long time in dried feces ..for these reasons we have a constant coon removal process in place ..we used to live trap but there were just too many and too much damage and too much feces all over decks and porches ..we now have 6 dog proof traps permanently stationed around our house that I set with plain dry cat food and spray fish oil/water mix around each trap (coon like the smell but not the taste) of fish oil so do not get any on/in the trap itself ..I will set and keep set all 6 traps on an every other week basis ..my record is 5 out of 6 ..more than once! ..but now have it down to 1 or 2 a week when set and the garden, flower bed and porch poop'n is down to sort of tolerable ...;-)

Bear

snowwolfe
07-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Coons can be hard on local turkey populations. Since we started to get rid of the ones on our property we are seeing more and more wild turkeys. In the past we were lucky to see a hen with poults. The other day we seen two large groups walking around our backyard.

nelsonted1
07-07-2020, 01:12 AM
I somehow blundered into this article in 2006 on a cat and dog.killing herd of raccoons in Washington state. I'll never.forget it as long as I live. The.responses.after the.article are priceless. Beware the pansy-*** limp-wristed Washington pet owner. She'll turn you to stone (after.practicing on the coons).

gwpercle
07-07-2020, 11:25 AM
They love marshmallows.....

It's amazing how many marsh mallows a coon can eat .... one night , sitting around a campfire with my kids we fed one 2 1/2 bags of full sized mallows . The kids had more fun feeding him than roasting marshmallows ... He liked them uncooked , after 2 1/2 big bags , his eyes glazed over in a sugar stupor and he waddled off into the darkness . The next night he was back but we didn't have any more ... he did eat a large bag of roasted , salted peanuts , the kind in the shell .
I guess between all the sugar and salt we fed him his blood sugar and sodium levels must have been through the roof .... hope I didn't jack up his blood pressure too high ... we don't want to injure our wildlife do we .
Gary

winelover
07-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Trapped one the other night and have one in the Duke paw trap this AM. Both were on the smallish side, which I figured, since they were able to steal the mini marshmallows...........on several nights, with out tripping the trigger. First one had both front paws in the trap, this one is held by one.

I'll put this one out of it's misery, as soon as I finish my coffee. ;)

Winelover

bakerjw
07-10-2020, 08:05 AM
I raise chickens and have racoon problems on occasion,
I also have several AR lowers in my gun safe at all times. You never know when a new build will tickle my fancy.
I picked up a dedicated .22LR upper and barrel 1:16 twist.
Mounted a first gen night vision scope on it and had a blast.
The lil buggers will sit there looking at you like you can't see them in the dark.
Oh the surprise...