PDA

View Full Version : It's a good time to be a boolit caster.

rintinglen
06-29-2020, 10:25 AM
I just spent a half hour cruising through Midway's website looking for 9 mm jhps. I'm glad I bought my HP molds a few years back. Outside of a few expensive solid copper bullets, the cupboard was bare, and with the gun shows shut down until God only knows when, alternate sources are pretty much unavailable.
Unless you've got a healthy supply of primers, powder, and lead. Oh, and appropriate molds and sizers to cast your own boolits.:-)

Scrounge
06-29-2020, 11:09 AM
I just spent a half hour cruising through Midway's website looking for 9 mm jhps. I'm glad I bought my HP molds a few years back. Outside of a few expensive solid copper bullets, the cupboard was bare, and with the gun shows shut down until God only knows when, alternate sources are pretty much unavailable.
Unless you've got a healthy supply of ptimers, powder, and lead. Oh, and appropriate molds and sizers to cast your own boolits.:-)

and a lathe to make your own sizing dies... One of my projects for later this week if I can just finish installing a sink.

Neverhome
06-29-2020, 11:38 AM
I popped into Basspro yesterday on a lark. I had a gift card left over from Christmas.
The place was VERY busy.
All ammo shelves were bare aside from some some small amounts of 16 gauge and 410 shells.
2 pounds of powder on shelves that usually have at least 50-100 pounds on them.
The most glaring thing was the totally empty gun racks. Zero that I could see. Though I didn’t look that carefully because in addition to the empty racks there was a huge roped off line at the gun department counter. At this point it seemed less like a supply issue and more like a run on guns and supplies. That giant line told the tale

Gtek
06-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Academy and BP here I think almost gutted is applicable. Some rifle ammo was left though, 22-250, 243, 270, 7mm Mag only and quite a bit of shot shells (bird stuff). Just my thoughts, AR market had fell on its face a while back and with production/supply rolled way back. This one is not per se political and with the Corona probably hard to ramp up and then later rolling into an election, this one may run for a while!

Dapaki
06-29-2020, 05:20 PM
I guess this explains the neighbor stopping by to tell me to save some ammo for later? I was shooting a string for a workup I was doing on a surplus powder and got about 25 rounds down range when he biked up and spoke with me.

He doesn't know I cast or use surplus powders, he just hears me shoot and comes over to chaw a while and tells me I'm a liar when I show him powder coated boolits and tell him I make them myself.

Pretty sure he is a Fudd, as his 30-30 and single shot 20 gauge are all a person really needs, right?

Cosmic_Charlie
06-29-2020, 06:58 PM
I popped into Basspro yesterday on a lark. I had a gift card left over from Christmas.
The place was VERY busy.
All ammo shelves were bare aside from some some small amounts of 16 gauge and 410 shells.
2 pounds of powder on shelves that usually have at least 50-100 pounds on them.
The most glaring thing was the totally empty gun racks. Zero that I could see. Though I didn’t look that carefully because in addition to the empty racks there was a huge roped off line at the gun department counter. At this point it seemed less like a supply issue and more like a run on guns and supplies. That giant line told the tale

Good time to move the guns you did not bond with on Arms List. And if you have some ammo for them all the better.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-29-2020, 07:01 PM
I guess this explains the neighbor stopping by to tell me to save some ammo for later? I was shooting a string for a workup I was doing on a surplus powder and got about 25 rounds down range when he biked up and spoke with me.

He doesn't know I cast or use surplus powders, he just hears me shoot and comes over to chaw a while and tells me I'm a liar when I show him powder coated boolits and tell him I make them myself.

Pretty sure he is a Fudd, as his 30-30 and single shot 20 gauge are all a person really needs, right?

He didn't tell you about his suppressed 10mm MP5?

winelover
06-30-2020, 07:12 AM
Always been a good time to be a bullet caster...............been doing it for almost 50 years. Shot 150 rounds, outback, yesterday. Fifty 44 Specials and a hundred 9 mm. My neighbors don't stop by, but I guess they wonder. Guy across the holler, burns a lot of ammo, too. He might be a reloader, but I doubt he's a caster.

Winelover

winelover
06-30-2020, 07:13 AM
Double post. Must have something to do with the new server. Hit reply and got a message that said there must be a 15 second lapse between posts.:confused: So I hit reply again. Got a doubler.

Winelover

pworley1
06-30-2020, 07:46 AM
I learned my lesson in 08. I want be caught unprepared again.

Dapaki
06-30-2020, 10:38 AM
He didn't tell you about his suppressed 10mm MP5?

LOL!

He shoots a lot too, I have some good-ole-boys down the tar a stretch that will pipe up and return the volley whenever someone else starts shootin. I try to keep my target hunting limited to lunch time since we have an overnight sleeper 1/2 mile away in a trailer that has some anger issues before noon.

fredj338
07-01-2020, 12:04 PM
ITs never been a bad time to be a boolit caster. Though getting cheap or free alloy is getting rougher with the ban on lead ww everywhere. I do fine berm mining & swapping & trading. You do have to like casting though. I shoot about 10k rds a year in training & competition. So the savings is pretty significant for a bit of sweat equity.