PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Progressive Reloader

jcw1970
11-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I've been wanting a progressive reloader for a long, long time. Midway has the Hornady lock n load progressive on sale. I was thinking about getting the autocase feeder also. With both together, it's 600 bucks. Would i just be better off getting a Dillon 550?

Bret4207
11-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I don't own either, but if you look back through the posts here you'll find a discussion on this. As I understand it the 650 is closer to the LNL than the 550.

dromia
11-29-2008, 09:36 AM
This can of worms is getting some shaking this weather. :-D

Both presses are good the L-n-L and the comparable Dillon the 650 both do as advertised.

To me the L-n-L is cheaper therefore a better buy, so a no brainer really.

My L-n-L serves me well with no problems, the Dillons serve their owners well too. Just for me it seems silly to pay more just for a different colour.

Hornady are just relasing some upgrades to the L-n-L so it might be betterto wait 'till they come out or take advantage of price reductions on the older model.

Over to the blue boys. :mrgreen:

August
11-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I've owned both. Like both. Suggest you do NOT compare the LnL to the 550, as the 550 is not auto advancing. The LnL and 650 are comparable functionally.

Russ in WY
11-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I have 2 550's & like them. IMHO the 550 is a fine press. Cheaper to set up & for diff calibers later on then the 650. The lack of auto advance is really a very small factor in the overall scheme of things. At one point in time I was looking at upgrading to 650, even before I had the 2nd 550. The cost factor just did not work for the number of calibers that I was reloading for or was set up to do. I guess it mostly depends on your Bankroll, as for the case feeder , IMHO again unless you are shooting very Hi-volume, not worth the cost. Just anither bell or whistle to go south. Just my thoughts. A progressive is great, you will enjoy it . Russ.

runfiverun
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
like russ i went with the 550 cause it is simple and reliable, easy to check for problems with loads, fast to change, easy to maintain.
and i can use it if the power is out. i save time with a powered primer tube filler.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I owned the LnL without the casefeeder for many years. It's very fast even without the casefeeder. Were I you, unless you shoot one HECKUVA lot and need a kajillion rounds, I wouldn't bother buying the casefeeder unless you find you really need it.

Secondly, having owned the 550, I've found the LnL to have several details that make it better, such as a better powder measure, better runout, faster caliber changeover and generally faster running, even without the casefeeder. I can run off 400 rounds an hour if I'm going slow, listening to the radio, eating a sandwich and generally piddling around. I can run off 650 an hour without a casefeeder, which is about the same as the 650, if I get serious about reloading and work at it. Adding the casefeeder will jump your cartridge count per hour to a thousand (about a 50% gain in production), assuming you can keep it supplied with components.

Comparably, I got about 350 an hour out of the 550 when I was piddling around and 550 when I worked at it and the priming system was working (mine had a lot of problems that never got resolved, why I ended up with the Hornady in the first place). Adding a case feeder to the 550 gains you about a 25% increase in production according to Brian Enos.

Without the casefeeder and with the free bullets, the LnL is an excellent buy and is a significantly better buy than the 550. Since the latest evolution in design eliminates the ejection wire, the one weakness in the press if you don't use Hornady dies, the press has become an even better buy.

Buy the LnL with as much confidence as buying the Dillon. It really is equivalent (with a better powder measure, less runout and lower cost caliber conversions) to the Dillon 650.

Regards,

Dave