PDA

View Full Version : Fun Stuff

Wag
06-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Friday, I needed a mental health day, just because. Figured I had a lot of options of things to do that were fun, including the range, camping, gun shopping around town.... A bunch of possibilities.

When I woke up that morning, though, I realized that it has been a LONG time since I did anything with casting. My life got turned upside down about eight years ago and it's been too long. Although I've done some reloading here and there, it wasn't extensive, really.

So, I rolled out of bed (after lounging around in bed with the doggies for far too long). Even knowing it was supposed to be about 95 degrees outside and a possibility of rain, I decided to roll the dice and smelt out some wheel weights. They've been sitting in my garage for what seems like forever and it just seemed like the thing to do.

Of course, that mess stinks to high heaven and I always wonder if the neighbors are going to complain. Nope. I have the greatest neighbors. The one that lives behind me even poked her head over the wall and had about a thousand curiosity questions. No complaints at all, just genuine interest.

I have the best neighbors......... :)

And yeah, fun stuff. Well, maybe except for that afternoon and yesterday and today. I've rediscovered some muscles I had forgotten about. Dang, I'm sore now. I didn't weigh out or count anything but I'm estimating that I smelted out about 150 pounds of lead ingots.

Of course, now I need to cast a bunch of them into boolits. Been a long time since I did that, too.

--Wag--

Wag
06-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Oh, and the best thing was, it was overcast all morning and only about 85 degrees. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!

--Wag--

Wayne Smith
06-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Cast the boolits, load, and then go to the range.

CastingFool
06-28-2020, 03:28 PM
I'm almost in the same boat. Have abiut 150 lbs of raw wheel weights to smelt, plus almost 60 lbs of lead pipe and coww.

facetious
06-30-2020, 11:58 AM
I did kind of the same thing, I started going through junk in the garage and ended up melting the range scrap I had been putting in buckets under my workbench. When I got done I had 170 lb's of ingots. After messing with this for three days, moving ,melting, mixing and putting it in the shed my butt and legs were so sore I couldn't hardly get up for two days.

Garyshome
06-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Not so much for Daisy

onelight
06-30-2020, 05:54 PM
Not so much for Daisy
That is funny

Wag
06-30-2020, 10:13 PM
I haven't even gotten started on the raw lead products. They need to go into ingots now too.

More fun!

--Wag--

slim1836
07-01-2020, 12:01 AM
All my lead is in ingot form, extra boolits are cast, and more ammo than I can carry loaded. Guess I need to shoot more.

Slim

sutherpride59
07-01-2020, 03:30 AM
I got furloughed about two months ago but I have a large savings and I’m going to school on the GI bill so money will return for sure when I go back to class. However this has been a blessing in disguise because I have finally started casting and reloading again even though I live in an apartment now. Last Sunday I killed a piggy with bullets I casted and 300 AAC rounds I converted from 223 brass. This stupid corona freak out has done wonders for my shooting life. Need to cast some 45acp now that I have a hunting round refined and setup.

Take advantage of this time and get back into a rewarding hobby!