PDA

View Full Version : Die shims for different presses?

Bazoo
06-25-2020, 04:56 AM
I've only got two presses at present with perhaps another two in mind in the future. My press's are close as to the dies settings to get the same seating depth. About .040 if I recall correctly. I went down to the ace hardware and found a 7/8 washer that's .045 so I'm sanding down the washer methodically with fine sandpaper on a board. It's a tough washer.

Well anyways I got to thinking, wouldn't it be swell if there was a place a person could buy shim washers in various thicknesses that would allow the reloading die to be set in the press with the thickest top, and then shimmed for the others. So that you're not married to one press or constantly having to reset your belling and seat die.

Opinions and or options?

Bazoo
06-25-2020, 05:37 PM
No takers yet? I thought this was a brilliant idea. I'm even considering JB welding a shim on the presses that are "shorter" so I can regulate my dies with one setting.

jcren
06-25-2020, 06:49 PM
Machine washers? Most hardware stores carry them and could stack em to get a specific thickness. Sorry if I missed something here, just a thought.

jmorris
06-25-2020, 06:49 PM
Arbor shims, is what you are looking for. Use them all the time setting up cutting tools in the machine shop.

Here is a set down to the thousandth, stack up the total you need.

https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catalog/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=109460&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-vQjYae6gIVUhh9Ch0rfA9qEAYYBCABEgIrpvD_BwE

Most people never needed them because they don’t use the same dies in various presses. Even if they have a number of presses they likely don’t do a lot of die swapping between them. For those that do the shims would work as long as they noted and kept records of he depth change.

If your going to do that, this is pretty simple way to move a die a known amount, up or down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssw-AbNH7N4

Scrounge
06-25-2020, 06:58 PM
No takers yet? I thought this was a brilliant idea. I'm even considering JB welding a shim on the presses that are "shorter" so I can regulate my dies with one setting.

Jobs like this are why you need a lathe now and then. Making a washer you can't find or don't want to drive all the way to the store for is something they can excel at. It doesn't even have to be a big lathe. You can sort of fake one with a drill press for really light work.

Bazoo
06-25-2020, 07:04 PM
I appreciate the replies. Interesting. I'll have to look at those shims on the computer when I can get to the internet. The phone won't work it.

I would love a lathe and the know how to use it.

Gtrubicon
06-25-2020, 10:22 PM
I have cut down aluminum cans for shims, they work well.

Scrounge
06-25-2020, 10:39 PM
I appreciate the replies. Interesting. I'll have to look at those shims on the computer when I can get to the internet. The phone won't work it.

I would love a lathe and the know how to use it.

Just be careful, as it can be as bad an addiction as firearms & reloading. OTH, I got started at it to help support my firearms and reloading addictions. I got my first lathe, a Harbor Freight 93212 mini-lathe, in 2008. I'd taken machine shop in high school in 1973, but forgot just about everything. And I wasn't doing all that well in teaching myself, either. There are loads of videos on YouTube, but I had some trouble figuring out where to start. Plus life kept getting in the way. Late in 2014 my wife got tired of my b- ahh, moaning, and told me to take a class. I'd looked for one a couple of times before, but they were always too expensive. But one of the local Technical Colleges had a Precision Manual Machinist class for only $1800. So I signed up. Then found they had a tuition waiver for Desert Storm vets. YehAW! ;) Class started February 10 of 2015. My work juggled my schedule so I could go to day classes, and work nights. Did about 4 months of full-time, but it was killing me. Switched to part time, night classes that ran from 6-9pm, two days a week, and my work shift started at 10pm. Worked well. Not killing myself, and had time for SWMBO's and my medical appointments. Only problem was when I got done with all the bookwork, all the lathes were in use. Oh well. I started on the milling machines. When I grow up I want a Super Max (Bridgeport clone) for my very own. :) You can see where this is going, right? ;) Finally got to start working on the lathes about 1.5 years ago. I'm probably a dozen or so small projects from finishing the class. Been that way for about 6 months. Covid-19 cost me about 4 of them. I am hoping to have all the machines set up at home by the time class starts in August. And maybe have some of those projects done, too. When I say machines, I've three lathes now. The HF 7x10, which is a nice little lathe. About 115lbs, and almost portable. I also have a 1946 Atlas TH42, 10x20, and a bit larger at 267lbs. I've also got a restoration project 1941 South Bend Heavy 10L toolroom lathe. Weighs about 1000lbs. Needs a lot of work, but I got it for $950. The modern version from Grizzly/SB is $10K. Used ones from old production in good shape run around $3K or more. I've also got an Atlas MF horizontal milling machine, an HF mini-mill, three drill presses, three bandsaws, and a Lewis shaper. Plus some welding equipment and a 128lb London-pattern anvil. It's a sickness, I tell ya!:lol:

Bill