PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 911 in 380... my results and thoughts.

mattw
06-23-2020, 12:32 PM
I picked one of the up new on Friday, by Monday it was in the mail back to Springfield. I had read about some feeding issues, did not appear to be with all guns and I had hopes of getting lucky! I am a fan of Springfield as I own several of their 1911's and none have ever had to go in for repair. I have been spending some time with a Kimber Micro Raptor in 380 and fell in love with the platform and size. But, something felt better about the Springfield in my hand, have not been able to put a description to that something yet. BTW, the Kimber and Springfield mags are interchangeable between the guns, but the feed issues still persisted. The Kimbers do fit the Springfield better than the factory magazines.

I had a small mix of commercial ammo and my 92 grain Lyman cast reloads running 3.2 of 231. This pistol comes with a standard length 6 round mag and an extended 7 round mag. The 7 round mag really makes it fit a normal sized hand well, my daughter with tiny hands really likes it with the 6 round mag.

My daughter and I fired around 150 rounds in the little pistol, really love the feel. But, we had around an 11% FTF rate! For defensive use, it is about the worse kind to have. The round starts to engage the extractor but does not over come the tension and lack of radius on the extractor and does not make it up enough for the ejector to engage the round. They are actually hard to get under the extractor with the frame removed. The bottom edge of the extractor will scuff and sometimes really scratch the area behind the rim when it tries to go in. I think this is the root cause of the failure. So, it is a forced mag drop and clear, sometimes the shell is not even under the edge of the extractor and must be dumped from the chamber. This happened across all ammo I tested and was 100% consistent in this failure mode. There were not failures to extract, no stove pipes and it did not matter which magazine. Oddly enough my daughter (tiny hands) was getting beaned by brass often and the ejection pattern was 6 to 9 feet... ok so she limp wrists it. My ejection pattern was right over my should and 15 to 20 feet away. She had no more FTF than I did. It also did not seem to matter what the headstamp of the brass was. I also found out that Springfield will not sell internal parts for this pistol. It also did not appear to me that a chamber or feed ramp polish would fix this issue, the issue could not always be repeated with the same round of ammo but I was not able to fire the same round always loaded in a different mag count or mag.

I will say at 10 to 12 yards, it is one extremely accurate pocket pistol. Actually more accurate than the Micro Raptor, but the Kimber feeds everything all of the time. At 12 yards with the factory night sights and 4 flavors of ammo ranging from 960 fps XTP's to 850 fps Lyman I was able to keep all of my shots in about 2 to 2.5 inches about 1.5 inches below sight point and that was with 80 or so rounds and 2 that I pulled out. I suspect that will get tighter when the gun just runs and I can focus on shooting not clearing.

Here are a couple of pics of the FTF. I really hope Springfield returns me a pistol that will run 100%.

mattw
07-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Wow, got it back today... will not get to fire it for a week or 2 but it hand cycles everything now!

But, FedUp (FedEx) kinda screwed the pooch. Saw the truck on the street, walked out to sign for it and the driver shouts "Last name Ward?" I say yes and she tosses me the package... adult signature required? Guess not. She was going to leave it on the porch if I did not show up. Wish I had sent my 17 yo daughter to grab it. She also self signed the form M. WARD as witnessed on the FedEx delivery page. Holding now to file a driver complaint. Second time they were ready to drop a pistol... First time was a rare S&W 610 that Smith had done some work to and returned... It sat on the porch, in town in a S&W box for 3 days because we were gone for a long weekend. BTW, we live a block from our local k-8 school and we are on the main walk route.

FergusonTO35
07-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Whenever possible I have guns sent back to my FFL. Hope your pistol is fixed right!

mattw
07-28-2020, 03:12 PM
With factory ammo now it appears to work 100 percent thru 50 rounds. It did choke on a couple of my reloaded rounds, they are set at max OAL and I think I need to shorten them by a few thousands to make them 100% reliable. Accuracy is still good, but it still shoots 2 inches low at 7 to 8 yards and almost as much at 10 yards. That is ok, it is reliable!

FergusonTO35
07-29-2020, 04:21 PM
You use a six o clock hold on the target? My Kimber prints to the dot on the front sight.

mattw
07-29-2020, 05:12 PM
It prints low on any hold. I put the center of the sites at the point I want to hit and it hits low all the time. I have to use a 12 o'clock hold on the center circle of paper target to hit the center of the target. This is at about 9 to 10 yards. These are short range firefight tools, at their intended ranges it would not be a problem unless center of mass is not good enough.

Brassduck
07-29-2020, 06:41 PM
My wife bought one of these,shoots well,the more we shoot it the better it shoots, my cure for the low impacks is to put the front sight on top of the rear sight. gets that front sight up were you can see it.