PDA

View Full Version : Sks Side scope mount?

Wolfdog91
06-23-2020, 01:02 AM
Anyone ever use a side scope mount on a sks ? Got a old narinco that's mainly just a beater ( actually shoots really well for what it is ) but since it's already has been messed with I kinda want to make it into a SVD/PLS clone ( I know I know but really it's just for fun and it's something I've been wanting to do for a while ) a side mount seems like it would be the best option for function and looks but was curious what is a good one ? Wanted something that would keep the scope pretty low to the barrel. Was thinking of the kalinka one but $65 is a bit much. Any other options?
Thanks !

Remiel
06-23-2020, 01:09 AM
Isn't the reciver a little short for a side mount?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

kungfustyle
06-23-2020, 04:06 AM
How about this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008873578/
It's a Choate scope mount, you'll need to drill and tap the receiver but it should work well for you.

uscra112
06-23-2020, 04:53 AM
Best SKS mount I have is one I made by welding steel rings to a spare bolt cover, and adding a bit of braze to the fingers at the front to make it fit TIGHT. Offset the scope axis a bit to the left so it lines up with my eye properly with the aftermarket stock I'm using. Everything else I tried was a compromise.

Remiel
06-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Best SKS mount I have is one I made by welding steel rings to a spare bolt cover, and adding a bit of braze to the fingers at the front to make it fit TIGHT. Offset the scope axis a bit to the left so it lines up with my eye properly with the aftermarket stock I'm using. Everything else I tried was a compromise.

263990How well does it hold zero?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

06-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Seems I remember a long ~ ? 2" - 3" ? ~ bar afixed to the left side of the receiver, designed to slip a dovetailed scope base / ring set up on SKS's. It allowed you to slip a scope on and off. Never could find the base / ring part, even though I did look around for a long time.

uscra112
06-23-2020, 10:46 AM
@Remial: Minute of red dot, at least. Even the best SKS, (and mine would be near mint if the previous owner hadn't cut the bayonet lug off), isn't an MOA rifle. I've never adjusted the zero since first setting it up, despite the usual post range session field strips and yearly P/Ms. (I did this at least 15 years ago.) If it'll hit an 8" plate every time from the 100 yard line, offhand, with cheap ammo, I'm happy. And it does.

There are cheap commercial versions of this mount style floating around. They don't fit the gun properly, which has given the idea a bad reputation. They're probably made sloppy on purpose, because the makers believe their average buyer isn't going to want to take the trouble to fit the cover to the individual gun. I think I may have one or two in a junk-parts box somewhere, even. Thrown away because they also had bad ergonomics. They position the scope too high for an adequate cheek weld.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-23-2020, 11:40 AM
Seems I remember a long ~ ? 2" - 3" ? ~ bar afixed to the left side of the receiver, designed to slip a dovetailed scope base / ring set up on SKS's. It allowed you to slip a scope on and off. Never could find the base / ring part, even though I did look around for a long time.

I have seen this type of mount for AKs, but can't recall seeing them for SKS rifles. Might be though.

It's a Choate scope mount, you'll need to drill and tap the receiver but it should work well for you.

This one looks like it would require some wood removal to mount, and looks like it would still be quite high.

They position the scope too high for an adequate cheek weld.

This is true. Short of a solution something like yours, the only answer would seem to be a high cheek piece on a custom stock. Most of the aftermarket synthetic stocks I've seen have high cheep pieces. The one in the photos is totally customized, and has a cheek piece.

264012 264013

mooman76
06-23-2020, 12:21 PM
They make a replacement receiver cover that has the mount already there. A little filing is needed so it has a tight fit. Is that not wanted for some reason?

Larry Gibson
06-23-2020, 12:45 PM

That is the best mount to use.....IMHO....

Texas by God
06-23-2020, 10:55 PM
IMO the SKS is best without optics due to its design. That said, my late brother used one for hogs that I adapted a QwikSite Win.94 side mount to with a 3x9x32 import scope. His gun came with a receiver cover that had two flat screw bosses on the left- it fit tight so I attached the modified mount to them. Quite awkward to me; I shot it best left eyed /right handed. A gas tube/ handguard scope rail Scoutwise might be ok, but personally a good frame mounted peep sight would be my pick.

uscra112
06-23-2020, 11:45 PM
Now that you mention it, it would be very simple to mount a ghost ring to the back of that receiver.

alfadan
06-23-2020, 11:53 PM
Dad's chinese had some crummy b-square on it. Only mounted at the rear with a screw that replaced the take-down latch pin. Dumb thing had a 1/4 inch of travel at the front. Iron sights are fast and the way to go.

uscra112
06-24-2020, 12:37 AM
The SKS irons are good until you get old and can't see 'em. A ghost ring is a partial solution to that problem.

Wolfdog91
06-24-2020, 03:23 AM

Yes that was on of the option I was looking at. Just wish it sat a little lower on the gun. Really wanted something that kinda worked like a old mosin scop mount with the rings on it since it would give the gun the look of want but seems all in all this would be the best option. This does also give me a way to slap on my night vision since it uses a PIC mount

ofitg
06-24-2020, 08:13 AM

I remember those - the gun was the SKS "Cowboy Companion", on the market around 30 years ago. I found this photo on the Web -

https://i.imgur.com/2V29qM4.png

RU shooter
06-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Now that you mention it, it would be very simple to mount a ghost ring to the back of that receiver.
Did this to a Yugoslav sks I had . Just a simple steel tab with the peep hole drilled into it I d/t two small screws into the rear of the action cover . Worked great and very low profile the cover was a snug fit already and never needed to tighten the fit of it any . Shot better than the barrel mounted leaf for me

Texas by God
06-27-2020, 09:49 AM
The peep sight I saw uses the takedown lever hole and set screws to tighten against the rear receiver- I don't recall the brand name. Here is our scope lash up- ugly but works. This is my sister's gun now. Whenever we get around to shooting it, we'll see if she wants to keep the scope.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/ff51fa81b5aea24ec6b6cf03aec5365a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

samari46
06-30-2020, 02:23 AM
Stay away from Leapers Chinese made scope mounts and scopes, they are junk. My mount had 4 cone type allen screws that actually did the clamping. after mounting the mount and while firing did some adjustments on the scope. Kept getting two distinct groups. Seems the mount screws would loosen and I'd have to snug them down. Pulled the screws and the cone parts were almost flat. Probably not hardened enough. And as far as the scope is concerned went to undo the windage cap and the whole section where the cap came out of the scope. Junk,pure junk. Frank

uscra112
06-30-2020, 04:10 AM
If you mean this:
https://www.leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&itemno=MTU017&midx=2144&allids=2142_2131_2144

No surprise. Too much mass on a long lever, and apparently it takes impact from the fired cases, too !

They gotta lotta gall asking $104 for that!

My SIL, who is an avid freshwater fisherman, talks about elaborate lures that he says are are "made to catch fishermen, not fish". Looks like we have an analog in the gun business. :wink:

Thinking I wouldn't trust any "sporting goods" vendor with an address in Livonia, MI., anyway. I used to live near there. Not exactly a sportsman's paradise, Livonia.

leebuilder
06-30-2020, 07:24 PM
I have installed many of the side bolt on, the screws always come loose. The screws that come with the mount are useless. The other mounts I find are to far back. I have installed a few PU style mounts, they come with lock screws. The bottom must be milled flat for mounting. Remember to leave lots of clearance for the mount in the stock.
Be well

06-30-2020, 08:38 PM
Also, there are the Williams Fire Sights. I put a set on one rifle. Fiber optic front sight and replacement rear peep sight where the original sight goes. Outstanding. Quick and easy on my antique eyes. That forward mounted peep is fantastic. Don't have to alter the gun to instal.

uscra112
06-30-2020, 09:25 PM
Haven't heard about that one. I do have an old boy's rifle that has a "forward peep"; a ring about 1/4" diameter instead of the traditional vee-notch rear. It's a safe queen, (princess?) but I remember liking the idea when I did the post-purchase tryout..

07-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Dig up some info on the Williams Fire Sights for the SKS. They are fantastic.

harm
07-01-2020, 10:11 AM
I've owned a number of SKS rifles - and have bubba'd up a couple of them, as well as bought previously-modified rifles.

In lieu of the receiver-cover mounted scope, I really did like the Williams Fire Sights.

One set of aperture sights I never did try comes from Tech Sights - may as well link it here, https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

There are a lot of cheap options out there, but a lot of them are sloppy. Some of the sets come with a replacement cover and need to be fitted - they'll hold zero somewhat better when fitted properly.

uscra112
07-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Most owners aren't machinists or gunsmiths, and don't know how to fit a part, even one as simple as that cover. If it's done right, it works fine, so long as you don't expect the SKS to be something it's not.

beemer
07-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I remember those - the gun was the SKS "Cowboy Companion", on the market around 30 years ago. I found this photo on the Web -

https://i.imgur.com/2V29qM4.png

Years ago I had a SKS with that side mount, the rings were a steel band that tightened around the scope. It was an odd dia. so it was hard to get another scope to fit. The supplied scope wasn't much either. The rifle shot as well as any SKS I have shot but the scope didn't help accuracy much, of course I had better eyes then. I sold it to a a friend that couldn't see all that well, the scope helped him see the target and he was happy.

My Dad tried every scope mount that he could find for his SKS but nothing seemed to work right. Back then most of the ammo was corrosive and nothing seemed to hold zero after it was broken down for cleaning. By the time he found the side mount he had moved on to something else. I decided years ago that for my use the SKS was fine for what it was but if you required a scope something else was needed.

Dave

samari46
07-02-2020, 01:29 AM
That is not the Leapers scope mount that I used at the time. Top cover style with base already installed. Four legs having the cone head screws were supposed to dig into the receiver. Those SLS frames must be harder than heck as all it did to the screws was flatten the come on each of the screws hence the shifting groups.
Frank

siamese4570
07-14-2020, 09:54 AM
I had one and found a mount that replaced the rear sight. Didn't require D&T and was solid. Used a red dot on it. Worked really well

Siamese4570