PDA

View Full Version : Old .22 ammo box

abunaitoo
06-22-2020, 11:01 PM
I've been collecting old .22 boxes for years.
Not really that much around here, but I do find some treasures from time to time.
One that I've been wanting, is a strange flip top box.
Regular size .22 box, but the whole top flips up to open.
I think it was made by Winchester.
White if I remember correct.
I've seen a picture of one, but I forget where.
Never seen any other flip top boxes.
Anyone have one or a picture of one?????

bedbugbilly
06-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Have you made a posting in the "Vintage Box" or "Vintage Ammo" section oaths site?

I collected 22 boxes for a few years and then ended up selling my collection maybe 20 yers ago. I donn't know if it is what you are referring to, but many of the earlier ammo boxes had a flip-top - later 1800s into early 1900s. The 22 cartridge has been around for many, many years - BP and smokeless. I used to be able to pickup nice vintage boxes at some of the gun shows where someone had been to estate sales. I'm no different - even though I sold my collection, I hung on to some fuel boxes of Remingtons, etc. from when I was a kid and they are now 60 or so years old. I always enjoyed the printing/design on the boxes - especially "off brand" ammo. Good luck with your collecting and I hope you can run across some nice older examples!

abunaitoo
06-23-2020, 11:01 PM
This one was not that old.
Maybe 60's or 70's.
Could have been Western.
If I remember correct, it was white.

Lead pot
11-23-2020, 02:59 PM
I gave away some old Rem UMC dog bone boxes a guy wanted for his collection plus a full box of .22 shorts Hiawatha ACE. Used to buy them at the local Gamble store for .18 cents a box.
I still have full bricks of Rem .22 standard velocity target from the 70's? and a couple full boxes of UMC dog bone boxes of .45-70

sailcaptain
11-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Don't know if this is what you are referring to, but they might be. I think the yellowish box was white at one point in time, years ago.