View Full Version : Where to Get Clover Lapping Compound

Chunky Monkey
11-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Where would one get the clover lapping compound? Or something the equivalent of it. I was reading the sticky on Leementing a mold. I have a few Lee's that I would like to work on a little!

Scrounger
11-28-2008, 07:25 PM
A machine shop, especially one that does automotive work or sells tools. Google lists many places you could order it from.

Chunky Monkey
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help scrounger!

I found it on the McMaster-Carr website. They have it but they offer it in either grease mix or water mix.

Grease-mix pastes are made with petroleum grease. They have the best lubrication qualities and leave a rust-preventive surface on lapped parts.
Water-mix pastes clean up easily with water. They're also biodegradable, so they're better for the environment than grease-mix pastes.

The grease mix is about $11 more than the water mix.

Any opinions on whether the grease mix would work that much better than the water mix. At least for the intended use (aluminum mold lapping).

BorderBrewer
11-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Chunky,
I buy it at my local True Value hardware store. You might check your local store before paying shipping.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

Bill*
11-28-2008, 08:03 PM
NAPA dealers carry it (for valve grinding jobs) in various grades/grits -both grease and water based. Water based is fine for your intentions (-in fact-best I would think!) you can get it in small plastic jars like 2 oz or so which will last forever. Coupla bucks IIRC.....Bill

Ben
11-28-2008, 08:04 PM
I bought mine at a NAPA Auto Parts store 25 yrs. ago. Mine is grease mix and is just as good today as it was the day I purchased it. I bought the fine and coarse. Have never found a use for the coarse.

Ben

JIMinPHX
11-28-2008, 11:26 PM
McMaster has the genuine Clover brand stuff. It comes in several different grits. Auto parts stores call their version of it "valve grinding compound". The water based stuff washes off more easily. The grease based stuff has better polishing characteristics in some materials. Any of them can be made to work.

docone31
11-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I tried water based, and grease based on both my molds, and jeweling the bolt.
The water based just does not do the job.
When I use the grease based on molds, I spin my castings, then cast a few and toss it all back in the pot. The castings pull any grit out of the mold in the cavity.
Have not had issues yet that way.

mauser1959
11-30-2008, 04:37 AM
I tried water based, and grease based on both my molds, and jeweling the bolt.
The water based just does not do the job.
When I use the grease based on molds, I spin my castings, then cast a few and toss it all back in the pot. The castings pull any grit out of the mold in the cavity.
Have not had issues yet that way.

If I am understanding you correctly that you clean the mold up with a few pours and then recycle the "new poured " bullets back into the pot... including the grit that they contain. I would think seriously about that as the grit might very well ruin the lands and grooves; though I would assume that the results would the be same as fire lapping. On a slightly different note , I have often wondered if the forensic techs could tell what a bullet would match up with after the barrel had been fire lapped.

Willbird
12-06-2008, 09:06 PM
If I am understanding you correctly that you clean the mold up with a few pours and then recycle the "new poured " bullets back into the pot... including the grit that they contain. I would think seriously about that as the grit might very well ruin the lands and grooves; though I would assume that the results would the be same as fire lapping. On a slightly different note , I have often wondered if the forensic techs could tell what a bullet would match up with after the barrel had been fire lapped.

The grit should float to the top and be skimmed off with all the other dross.

One nice thing about grease based is you can add oil and I often do for some lapping projects.

Bill

NSP64
12-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Chunky, I used crest toothpaste to leement my molds:drinks: Washes off with water:-D

opentop
12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I've read elsewhere on this site where comet soap was used as a laping compound on lee molds.

shotman
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I dont think it would be a good idea on aluminum molds. will cut too rough. I tried it on a steel mold and worked fast so it may work too fast on Al.