PDA

View Full Version : Chassepot

GregLaROCHE
06-21-2020, 03:45 PM
The Chassepot is a very unique cartridge. I’ve recently started making cartridges for mine and would like to know if anyone is or has made them. I would like to discuss what I am doing as well as learn what others have done. I am referring to making the unpatched version, not the authentic patched one. We could discuss here or maybe by PMs.

Harter66
06-21-2020, 05:50 PM
There's a guy in France I think that has an excellent set up for doing them and a few years back had a video up . I somehow just haven't gotten to the 1871 issue stamped example I have much past upkeep . I do have what I believe will be a serviceable bullet for it now which was a stumbling block for several years . I think in one of my note books (wherever it is) I have notes enough to make the mandrel for the tubes . I didn't care for all of the glue steps he used and having the cap sealed away from the powder creating an air gap .

Of course nitrated paper and rolling the case to become part of the bullet patch .

Where do we get waste silk to bag the cartridge ? :)
I'll just tag along if I can get notifications to work .

Der Gebirgsjager
06-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Did you do a " Search" of this website? Seem to remember at least two very extensive threads about other Chassepot owners that made ammo for them.

elk hunter
06-22-2020, 09:36 AM
youtube has videos on making the Chassepot cartridge.

Jedman
06-22-2020, 12:09 PM
I was given a Chassepot rifle with a matching bayonet as a gift once when I was young and dumb and kept it for about 5 years. This was long before the internet so I didn’t know nothing about what it was
and someone offered to buy it so I sold it because I had no idea you could make your own ammo for it.
I’m sure whoever got it was tickled with the deal as the bayonet alone was worth more than I sold it for.

Jedman

GregLaROCHE
06-22-2020, 12:42 PM
I am familiar with videos about making the cartridges. I have already made and shot some. I just have some technical questions for those who are making and shooting them. How type and quantity of powder effects trajectory, thickness of rubber disk etc.