PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new RELOADING press need help from casters

RyanJames170
06-20-2020, 11:21 PM
So I am looking at getting a reloading press to partialy replace my old RCBS RS3, my plan is to put my RS3 over by my Lyman No 45 to take on bullet sizing with lee type bullet sizers. and powder charging with my Dillion powder mesure.

what i am looking at are

Lyman Victory press

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme

Redding Big Boss II

i am curious what you casters think on this matter, i like aspects of all 3 presses and dont like parts of them as well.

i will also add turret presses are out as i plan to get a dillion down the road for bulk reloading as i can barrow stuff from my cousin and have acess to his Dillion any time i need to use it.

sigep1764
06-21-2020, 01:14 AM
I like my Lyman BrassSmith C press which is pretty close to the Victory in terms of capability, minus the on press priming ability of the Victory. It has served admirably sizing 9mm through 270 and 30-30 brass with no problems. I would however like more leverage for making gas checks with a PatMarlins check maker. The longer handle of the RCBS would help this.

Lloyd Smale
06-21-2020, 04:56 AM
hard to beat a rock chucker. Ive got a rock chucker, a lyman orange crush and Hornady lock and load for single stage presses and when real work needs to be done its the rock chucker I use 99 percent of the time.

JimB..
06-21-2020, 06:27 AM
Haven’t used any of those, but love my coax and wonder why you excluded it from consideration.

sharps4590
06-21-2020, 06:54 AM
+1 what Lloyd said. I was in precisely the same boat as you a couple years ago, looking to augment my Reloader #3. I went with the Rock Chucker....absolutely no regrets.

With what Jim said, I'd still like very much to have a Forster Coaxial.

charlie b
06-21-2020, 07:42 AM
I am a bit cheap when it comes to this kind of stuff. When I needed a new single station press I went to the gun shop we had in Albuquerque and bought a used one. It happened to be a Lee that I got for $20. Despite being aluminum it has done everything I have asked, including some 'heavy' sizing operations. My regular reloading press is a Lee Loadmaster.

If I wanted serious, put all my weight on it, take all kinds of abuse press, then I would get a Rockchucker.

If I had the money then it would be a coax.

ioon44
06-21-2020, 09:14 AM
The nice thing about a Dillon 550 you can use it as a single stage press, very versitle.

kmw1954
06-21-2020, 10:49 AM
For a single stage press I think it all comes down to local availability, price value and basic features. There is not much in the way of difference in any you've mentioned as to functionality or basic construction. Any one of them should last your lifetime.

I am only really familiar with the RCBS as that is what I was taught on long ago. Then there is also the Lee Classic Cast O Press which also gets high marks and much of it is because of the way it deals with spent primers.

It is not on you preferred list but if I were to be looking at a new single stage press this one would be on my list. One reason being is I like the open access to the front of the press. My very first press was a Bonanza "68" that was open this way. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-iron-press#!/

Best of luck in your quest for the perfect press, half the fun is shopping and researching the new stuff.

mdi
06-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Reloading presses are very simple machines, especially single stage. You will be OK with any press from the major reloading equipment dealers and it will last many years and hundreds of thousands rounds. Where a choice comes into play are cost, name, and minor differences, and personal preference. Cost? The Redding Big Boss is probably the most expensive in your list but a very good press (I owned one for several years). Name? RCBS is probably the most popular name in reloading presses today with probably millions out there still making ammo. Minor differences? Some reloaders insist on their used primers dropping in a container. Some insist on specific priming accessories. Some even need a specific handle shape and length. But mainly it boils down to what flips your switch. I used a Lee Challenger for many years because I didn't pay much attention to the old guys at the gun shop opinions and did my own research, and it was purchased way pre web so I didn't have all the internet wisdom telling me I couldn't make good ammo on the Lee.. I presently use a Forster Co-Ax mainly because it's precision, quality and ease of use. And the only bad, I mean really bad press I bought was a Smart Reloader (I bought it out of curiosity and it is so rough I couldn't reload a box of 38 Specials").

So, do our research, read up on the features of each press and take forum replies for what they are; personal opinion...

Alstep
06-21-2020, 01:19 PM
I started out in the late '50's with a new Pacific. That was "the" press back then and I'm still using it. Picked up a bunch of presses since then, Pacific, Lyman, C-H, RCBS, single stage & turrents, at gun shows & garage sales, some were even given to me as outdated. A little cleanup and lub and they're making ammo again. Never paid over $40 for any of them.

dragon813gt
06-21-2020, 02:01 PM
None of them. They’re all single stage presses and there’s no need to spend more than what a Less Classic Cast costs. It will do everything the others do. People even modify it for swaging bullets and holds up to that.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a bunch of presses. But the first thing I look for in any of them, outside of a progressive, is primer disposal. If it doesn’t have a hollow ram for disposal I’m not interested. Catch trays and the like just lead to picking primers up off the floor and primer grit all over the press.

A single stage is a simple design. You will pay more for a brand name and paint job. If you’re serious about loading the most accurate ammo possible you aren’t going to use a reloading press.

RyanJames170
06-21-2020, 05:17 PM
The redding has threw ram primer disposal, the lyman has partial threw ram primer disposal, and the RCBS dose not. the new RCBS rebel has threw ram primer disposal but there still not out, bit over due actually why i left that one from the list.

Petrol & Powder
06-21-2020, 05:20 PM
I voted for the Redding although the RCBS is a close second.

Redding equipment is top notch. As others have stated, a single stage press is a simple machine and just about any press from a reputable manufacturer will fill the role.
Honestly, a well cared for press of even average quality will probably out last you. If you keep them clean and lubricated, there's just not much to go wrong.
The Redding Big Boss II is a high quality press but I think the new RCBS Rebel will be in the same class. The Rebel has a hollow ram which allows spent primers to fall out the bottom, which is a nice feature. Both of those models will set you back about $250 and that's really getting pricy for a single stage press.

Conditor22
06-21-2020, 05:55 PM
rock chucker, the most accurate press < $500

1bluehorse
06-21-2020, 08:57 PM
I have two SS presses. A Lee Classic Cast and a Forster Co-Ax. If I were looking today for a new one I'd take a hard look at the MEC Marksman. I think that one would be hard to beat. In fact I'm thinking of "moving" the Lee to a new home and buying one. It's not much more than the RCBS (which is a great press IMO) with some really good features that "better" the Rock Chucker.

RyanJames170
06-21-2020, 09:10 PM
I voted for the Redding although the RCBS is a close second.

Redding equipment is top notch. As others have stated, a single stage press is a simple machine and just about any press from a reputable manufacturer will fill the role.
Honestly, a well cared for press of even average quality will probably out last you. If you keep them clean and lubricated, there's just not much to go wrong.
The Redding Big Boss II is a high quality press but I think the new RCBS Rebel will be in the same class. The Rebel has a hollow ram which allows spent primers to fall out the bottom, which is a nice feature. Both of those models will set you back about $250 and that's really getting pricy for a single stage press.

what i have found for the prices on these is
redding big boss II is $195
RCBS RC II $180.00
RCBS Rebel $220.00
Lyman victory $172.00

dverna
06-21-2020, 10:45 PM
Personal preference plays into it.

I have both a Rock Checker and Co-Ax. Totally different machines. If I had to decide on one it would be the Co-Ax. I use the RC to size/deprime military cases the first time. Machine gun brass seem to need more force, at least the brass I have.

The Co-Ax was my first press about 50 years ago. Best $68 I spent. I like not having to reset dies except for the seating stem if I change bullets, and the lack of shell holders.

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2020, 05:15 AM
yup if I could have only one press it would be a 550. Nothing is more versatile.
The nice thing about a Dillon 550 you can use it as a single stage press, very versitle.

DHDeal
06-22-2020, 08:04 AM
An open front design press sure makes it easy. I'd glanced at the Hornady sometime back and thought it was a great idea, but has a lot of gimmicks on it.

I have many presses and have plates on each so I can change them out on an Inline Fabrication mount. If I could only have one of the presses mentioned, it would be the RockChucker. I also have a Co-Ax and will not be without one, but you can't easily use it to size bullets and if you reload lots of different cartridges you will get good at flipping the jaws on the shellholder plate.

Keep in mind that primer catching is important.

As dragon813gt states, save some cash and get the iron Lee if money is a crunch.

brass410
06-22-2020, 09:13 AM
I only have SS presses they do evrything I need as to manufacturer they're all pretty good. try to buy the biggest press you can afford , because sooner or later you'll want to use it for "other" operations like forming ,swaging,gas checks etc. Get it with the biggest opening, my hands are like catchers mitts, there's nothing more frustrating than having to use forceps to place cases in shell holder or bullets in the case mouth trust me try it some time. Get one that you can put/make a longer handle to make life easy and more enjoyable its nice to make the press fit you, not all do. Dont get hung up on colour, you can soon change that, and it has little to do with functionality. My next press will be from Corbins not because I need something that HD but I'm tired of pinched fingers .

lightman
06-22-2020, 09:22 AM
I voter for the Rockchucker because I have had one since the 70's. Both of the others plus several more would also serve you well. RCBS is known for their almost legendary customer service.

Everybody talks about the Rockchucker spitting spent primers out everywhere. I recently resized a full medium flat rate box full of 40 S&W brass. I didn't keep count but I only had a few primers miss the primer catcher. Maybe 10 or so out of a few thousand! It seems to be worse if you are depriming with an older style die set that had the depriming pin on the expander. It seems to build up pressure in the case and the primers pop out with more force.

Harter66
06-22-2020, 11:50 AM
I have a Hornady/Pacific 008 , Partner , RC , RCII , JRS , Big Max , a couple of Lymans and Pacific Deluxe . I've used 3 Lee's , Lyman Crusher , and another O frame I can't remember .

I will continue to recommend the RockChucker in spite of it's tendency to toss an occasional primer and the excessively long throw when doing basically anything in a pistol caliber . I can't speak to the new IV version . I contacted RCBS about my Partner showing its age and was advised that the design life of it is 50,000 rounds , 200,000 strokes , lab tested . I started counting ......... nevermind . I got my money's worth . I was told if I was ready to send it in they would check it out and repair or replace as needed . It's 25 years old and while I don't think it's loaded the whole 50k I can count 10k in standards 9/38/357/45 Colts/308/06' and 7/8x57 , and another 5 k sized/primed , 15,000 flared and 1k or so seating work ups . It's been a travel press for a while and lived in a dirt rich environment all it's life . I haven't decided on sending it or not . Moral me says " Dude you've used up the tool " . Cheap skate me says " It's a forever tool on their dime what the hold up ?" and logical me says "what if you get a Monday/Friday makes QC but just isn't as good press back ? You've legitimately used this one up . Besides you have 8-9 presses . It would be nice to give the Son In-law a brand new press though ."

2 yr ago I called about the shell holder snap ring being lost in Dad's RC (1971ish) and asked about a catalog so I could order a couple of primer catch trays . 5 days later the snap ring , 2 trays , and a catalogue are in the mailbox . Not a big deal , probably cost them more to send the package and book than the contents by 5x plus . My RCII was used I'm not even going to contemplate a count in the last 10 years but I expect it'll be making ammo for another 20-25 yr .

MT Chambers
06-22-2020, 12:03 PM
If you've got the money I'd go for the CO-ax if not, go for the Rockchucker.

dragon813gt
06-22-2020, 01:39 PM
Get it with the biggest opening, my hands are like catchers mitts, there's nothing more frustrating than having to use forceps to place cases in shell holder or bullets in the case mouth trust me try it some time. Get one that you can put/make a longer handle to make life easy and more enjoyable its nice to make the press fit you, not all do.

If that’s the criteria then there is only one press to choose. The CH4D Rock Crusher. All others pale in comparison.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Once you hit $200 you might want to consider spending a little more and buy a RCBS A2. It’s steel and has a lot of features that other presses lack. You won’t break that press and it can perform any duty you want. Just something else to consider. It’s also sort of an investment. They aren’t making them anymore and prices continue to rise.

RyanJames170
06-22-2020, 02:26 PM
I wonder once I get a new press if RCBS would look at my RS3 be kinda nice to get that think back to being closer to like new. Poor thing has a fair bit of ram play at the top of the stroke, not sure if it’s to much but.

greenjoytj
06-22-2020, 02:39 PM
LEE Precision Classic Cast. Got mine shortly after they came out.
I like that the linkage has built in stops that prevent cam over TDC.
I do like the Redding T-7 turret press but they cost a fortune.

redhawk0
06-22-2020, 02:51 PM
I have a RC-II and a Lyman Orange Crush press. Both are workhorses. The long throw of the RC allows for good leverage when resizing stubborn Military brass. Recently I got smart though and bought a ram extension for pistol calibers. It makes it much easier when you don't have to throw that lever all the way down.

My goto for the heavy work will always be my RC....the Lyman is setup for Lee push through boolit sizing, and the final crimp operation (Lee FCD).

redhawk

Dan Cash
06-22-2020, 03:01 PM
I am working with two Dillon 550s, a Redding T7 and 2 Co-Ax presses and an inverted Lyman Lyman turret for bullet sizing. The Co-Ax would do every thing a single stage or turret would do for me except allow the use of a Mecham type bullet seating die (the die is too tall for the handle yoke). I have reformed .308 brass to .300 Sav. and .250 Sav with no problem. None of the presses you list are bad, in my opinion but I have a Rock Chucker and 2 big Herters presses under the bench gathering dust. If I needed another single stage press, one of the old Herters would come out before the Rock Chucker.

Kraschenbirn
06-22-2020, 03:05 PM
I don't own as many single stage presses as some but do seem to have accumulated my share over the years. From the selection offered, I've got to go with an RC as that's my 'go-to' for anything that requires full-length sizing but, on the other hand, I actually used an old Lyman Spartan (C-frame) for about 90% of my rifle work...99% of my handgun ammo is loaded on one of the Dillons.

Given my druthers, though, I'd love to find another of the old Bonanza 68 O-frames. Was my first 'heavy duty' press and I've no idea how many rounds it loaded before developing a crack in the shell-holder recess at the top of the ram. Alas, though, those went out of production when Forster acquired Bonanza and there are no spare parts available. (When I called, the good folks at Forster even had one of their shop guys go through the 'return and reject' bin to see if there might be a junker that could be stripped for parts.)

Bill

Petrol & Powder
06-22-2020, 05:01 PM
RCBS is a great company and that may be enough reason all by itself to go with the Rock Chucker. The RC is a solid press. I do think it gets a little over-hyped at times. I'm not saying it is a bad press by any means, but it's not magical either. It is a good, basic, solid workhorse.

The new RCBS Rebel isn't available yet and it does cost a bit more, but it looks very promising. I like the fact that it has a Zerk fitting (I'm not convinced that's needed, but hey - it's a nice touch). I like the hollow ram, it has an iron frame and it's still a RCBS product. If I was in the market for a SS press, I might hold out until those became available.

The Redding presses are absolute top notch. You're going to pay a little more for Redding and that may be a good enough reason to stay with RCBS.
If I was in the market for that "lifetime" SS press; I think it would come down to the Redding Big Boss II or the RCBS Rebel.

An "O" frame Single Stage press is a strong, simple machine. It is very easy to over-think this stuff. A good basic "O" frame press will probably out last its owner if it is cared for. I believe that because the press is the foundation of most reloading operations, the press gets a little more attention than it probably needs.

If you wear out a good single stage press your carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis will likely be bigger problems in your life than the excessive tolerances of your press' ram and linkage.

45-70 Chevroner
06-22-2020, 06:31 PM
My first press was a RCBS jr. It worked great for the amount I was loading, that was back in 1971. I then graduated to a Dillon 550 that didn't last long I took it back to Dillon and up graded it to a RL 550 B for $75.00. I still have it. I now have 5 presses, the Dillon RL 550 a Dillon Square Deal, 2 Lee single stage, and a very old Lyman 3 position progressive that never worked, so I changed it to a two position and use it for 30-30 and 38-55 it works great for those two calibers. If I were to be restricted to one single stage it would be a Lee 0 press. Why?, price and ease of operation and it will handle all rifle calibers up to large magnums.

jimb16
06-22-2020, 08:05 PM
Of those you listed, the Rock chucker is the best. But take a look at the RL 550. It is a great machine. I have 2 of them one set up for large primers and the other set up for small primers. They are progressives that can be used like a turret single stage if you want to. 3-400 per hour once you get used to using them. Caliber changes take only minutes if you aren't changing primer size. And the warranty on the machine can't be beat. If ANYTHING happens to it, they will fix or replace it for free! And the warranty goes with the machine, not the original owner! I bought a damaged 550 from a widow and sent it to Dillon to be rebuilt, expecting to pay a fair price for repair since I wasn't the original owner. Two weeks later, it arrived at my house, rebuilt and upgraded for free! The letter that came with it said the machine was fully covered and it didn't matter how many hands it passed through since the original purchase! That is hard to beat! Personally I'd go Dillon Blue all the way.

OS OK
06-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Buy a quality Turret . . . a true turret.

https://i.imgur.com/ohrorMs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AhzXmqa.jpg

Even consider a used 'oldie but goodie' . . .

https://i.imgur.com/ehZLWZu.jpg

you will be miles ahead with a turret . . . 'a quality turret that is'.

charlie b
06-23-2020, 11:46 AM
I loved my old Lee turret. Father-in-law and I tried just about everything to break one, including some mild swaging. Never missed a beat. My Loadmaster is great for me, but, it did require some mods to work well, mainly in the primer feed (which they have redesigned) and the powder measure.

I haven't broken one or even bent it but they will send other consumable parts (springs, orings, etc) for free. So, I suspect they would fix or replace a broken one.

But, like I said, if I wanted something I could stand on with a breaker bar it would be a rockchucker.

And, yes, if I had the money, a Dillon 650 would be on my bench, maybe even a few of them.

brass410
06-23-2020, 01:35 PM
If that’s the criteria then there is only one press to choose. The CH4D Rock Crusher. All others pale in comparison.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Once you hit $200 you might want to consider spending a little more and buy a RCBS A2. It’s steel and has a lot of features that other presses lack. You won’t break that press and it can perform any duty you want. Just something else to consider. It’s also sort of an investment. They aren’t making them anymore and prices continue to rise.

I've got the BIG MAX and I do like it a lot also have a RC prefer the Max, availiblity is a concern, probably. for the OP . Thanks for the heads up on the CH press I didnt know they built one that HD price wise its nearly the same as the corbin I've been oogling either would last several lifetime in my opinion.

RyanJames170
06-23-2020, 02:17 PM
I may end up going Redding just due to the fact a place Im going to be buying some molds and gas checks from has it, so it will save on shipping.

onelight
06-23-2020, 02:28 PM
I would pick the press from your list I found the best deal on a clean used one , and add a lee delux APP press with the savings , and put the old single stage in the closet until I found someone who wants to get started loading.:grin: The APP is a real time saver

Green Frog
06-24-2020, 09:56 AM
From the two pages (so far) of responses, you should be able to see that this is a totally personal decision. You mention that there are things you like about the three presses in question and things you don’t like. Write them down in columns, then, unless there is a deal breaker somewhere (which you probably would have already noticed) buy the press with the longest column of advantages and the shortest column of disadvantages in your mind. If I were going to limit myself to one single stage press on my bench for the foreseeable future, what would I choose? My Herter’s Super U-3 would be my top candidate, but you can’t just go to your LGS and buy one of them! ;)

Froggie

RyanJames170
07-02-2020, 08:43 PM
Got the new press, I went with a RCBS Rock Chucker 4

HangFireW8
07-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Great choice, and remember it's not marriage. You can have more than one. :)

tmanbuckhunter
07-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Been running the same Rock Chucker for 12 years, and I'll never get rid of it. I wish the opening in the frame was a little bigger, but that's my only gripe with it. The removable bushing allowing me to run 1-1/4 x 12 dies is also a big plus.

RyanJames170
07-03-2020, 01:00 AM
I have 2 presses now, the old RS3 may get either rebuilt or replaced with another just like it, I kinda wana use it for light duty work and sizing bullets. With the rock chucker I just wanted something sturdy and long lasting.

onelight
07-05-2020, 05:29 PM
Enjoy yourn new press , it should serve you well.