PDA

View Full Version : New Meds Monday

country gent
06-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Gentleman,

Monday I am starting a new med for my MS. Its been on hold for a couple months now do to the covoid 19.

I talked to the neurologist in January about hard spots and other problems at the injection sites for the rebiff and that it was getting harder to "stab" myself 3 times a week. She agreed and also thought the rebiff had been long enough that there were better available now. Mid February I started the starting does of tecfaderra and this was a disaster for me. 9 days of diarrhea, Mobility, balance and urgency problems dont go well with that. So it was stopped. And then the covoid came.

She didnt want to lower my immune system while that was raging around with the Maven Clad.

Im looking forward to the Maven Clad. First month is 1 week of pills second month is a weeks pills and done. Like most MS meds it controls but dosnt cure.
While Im not expecting really big improvements, Im not expecting to walk with out assistance. It would be great to get around the house and shop with a cane and be able to get in and out of a car easily. My chairs for out and about and extended use. The Support at MS lifelines think this is realistic goals.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I start these treatments. Im looking forward to not having the injections at the least.

Country Gent

BillyCanuk
06-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Sending positive vibes your way brother.

BigAlofPa.
06-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Same here with positive vibes and prayers. This covid 19 is making things tough for all paitents. I was due this spring to have my aneurysm around my heart ultrasound done. To be sure it didn't grow. I emailed my cardiologist weds. Still did not hear back.

Pete44mag
06-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Country Gent you are in my thoughts and prayers!

MrWolf
06-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Same here boss. I've always been impressed with what you do. Good luck.

lightman
06-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Wishing you the best of Luck with this. I had the same problems with Tecfaderra, I just couldn't tolerate it. I handled the Rebiff much better but those shots were getting old! You will be in our prayers.

smoked turkey
06-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Yes, also praying for the new medication to be the "miracle drug" that will allow you the mobility you need and desire. In fact since I am praying I will just ask that there is healing in that medicine. May the Lord grant that request.
I too have been very impressed with what you continue to do and pray that your MS is put into total remission.

Wayne Smith
06-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Continuing to pray for you, now with more specificity.

Scrounge
06-21-2020, 05:13 PM
You made me aware real suddenly how blessed we are here. You're in my prayers, now, for the blessings you need.

country gent
06-21-2020, 10:39 PM
After the way the tecfaderra hit me Im just a little leery of the new med. I have the instructions down and will try it. Its a little hard to schedule since no other med can be taken 3 hours before or after. For me this means about 1:00 in the afternoon. I have small pill bottle to keep them handy until then. Talking to support the big issue with the new med is fatigue.

I we are still slowly going on the shop and getting things set up. Today we cleaned in the garage portion and moved things back against walls after the electrician finished. This gives me a lot more room to move around. I need to make a small bench for the little harbor freight 7 X 12 lathe. I really dont want it on the bench with tool boxes and vise. Wont be a big deal 20 X 30 with 2 up rights and feet will be a butcher block style to match the big bench.

Im all ready for new med Ive been hydrating yesterday and today as was recommended. will add a Tylenol to the morning meds to combat any headache as recommended. Its only one week so it shouldn't be to bad.

I Am just to plain old stubborn to give up. I may be slower and work a little different but I can still get things done. ( on the big bench I spent a week drilling the dowel holes when I was up to par would have been 2 days). I have to think things thru a little more before starting them.

WRideout
06-22-2020, 07:49 AM
May God bless you and bring you comfort and peace.

Wayne

lightman
06-22-2020, 09:08 AM
It looks like today is the big day! Wishing you the best.

country gent
06-22-2020, 07:48 PM
Took the first dose today at 3:00 so far so good no side effects so far. This med has to be separated by at least 3 hours before and after taking. SPent most of te day oitside too.

Wayne Smith
06-23-2020, 07:43 AM
Did you have air you can wear there like we did? I was working on the small lathe during our thunderstorm and the sweat was dripping off of me. If that was you it can change how the med works if you become dehydrated.

country gent
06-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Wayne I have air in the shop but the front wall is still open so not much there. Ive been drinking 40-80 ounces of water a day now to stay hydrated. Ine of the effects of this med is increased urination. Taken and when ingested into the nerves it flushes out.

So far no issues with it.

I can remember the Nationals at Perry during hot years. The lie officers medics and umpires would walk up and ask boldly Have you peed today? If nothing coming out your not taking enough in. LOL

lightman
06-23-2020, 07:00 PM
Its good to hear that you are not having trouble with it. Hoping it works for you.

gwpercle
06-23-2020, 07:13 PM
Best of Luck , prayers sent , keep the faith and positive outlook .
Gary

Wayne Smith
06-23-2020, 07:27 PM
Good. I'm glad you know to stay hydrated. Many don't. Air you can wear is common here in the summer - 98% humidity or greater.

I will keep praying that this medicine is your miracle.

country gent
06-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Finished the first cycle last friday on issues. I seem to have better control and am standing easier now but I am betting its more mind than meds right now. Next cycle is next month

lightman
07-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Hoping its for real and that it continues to work for you.

jonp
07-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Always in my thoughts and prayers. Your giant shed is an inspiration to me and your "Karen" neighbors something I can relate to

country gent
07-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Well so far after the first cycle 2 weeks ago no side effects, not expecting any now really. It went pretty well with no problems.

I do seem to be able to stand up better from chairs. Dont see much difference in vision, ( now theres a pun for you), some in improvement in "control". And it seems more feeling in hands.

I start the second cycle the 20th another week long of pills. Then Im done till next year this time and cycles 3 and 4

Doctor wants me to distance for now due to lowered immune system.

But all in all I think its doing as said +

Wayne Smith
07-14-2020, 07:45 AM
We all need to be distancing anyway. And wearing masks. Virginia was one of the few states with no significant increase, then yesterday Virginia Beach had 400!

I'm glad no unpleasant multiple effects. I pray that this lasts.

country gent
07-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Started the second cycle today. Will be all week 2 pills today and tomorrow then 3 days of 1 pill a day. Then Im done till next year this time, and another 2 cycles.

BrassMagnet
07-21-2020, 09:09 AM
WooHoo!!!
Sounds like improvements in life. I sure hope your improvements come through as hoped, and even more! No daily needles is sure worthwhile!
Are you going to pop a few caps to celebrate?

country gent
07-24-2020, 07:31 PM
Today was the last dose of the second cycle Im now done till next year this time. Thank-you one and all for your support and prayers.