PDA

View Full Version : Had the old truck made safe!

Freightman
06-20-2020, 04:21 PM
BIL (Mechanic) called said the old 1989 F250 was ready had to have new rotors, new pads and bearings on the front. New drum brakes on rear new springs. new cylinders on both side. Glad to have it done as it was unsafe he said someone was looking out for me, as the rear brakes were apart, the front wheel bearings were rusted to the spindle. so I am set for another 31 years. Dont think I will last that long.

Scrounge
06-20-2020, 04:26 PM
BIL (Mechanic) called said the old 1989 F250 was ready had to have new rotors, new pads and bearings on the front. New drum brakes on rear new springs. new cylinders on both side. Glad to have it done as it was unsafe he said someone was looking out for me, as the rear brakes were apart, the front wheel bearings were rusted to the spindle. so I am set for another 31 years. Dont think I will last that long.

I don't feel so bad now. It only took me about 8 or 9 years to do a tuneup on my 98 chevy PU.

Beerd
06-20-2020, 07:14 PM
How's the clutch holding out?

Dieselhorses
06-20-2020, 09:04 PM

Is your F250 gas or diesel?

john.k
06-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Friend of mine had a truck used to lock brakes on one wheel ......its the bearings causing it ,he says.......How s that?......Well ,he says ,each time a wheel cylinder starts to leak ,I put a ball bearing in the hose fitting.....so its the three bearings causing the skid.

Dieselhorses
06-20-2020, 11:24 PM
My 87 had this and I’m sure the 89 was similar but there was an “anti-skid” manifold apparatus located right under the truck on drivers side that would get stopped up. I guess it was the early version of ABS now days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangitgriff
06-21-2020, 06:03 AM
My ‘96 Silveraydo is scheduled for rotor replacement next Saturday morning. 299,050 miles and counting.
R/Griff

kbstenberg
06-21-2020, 07:16 AM
R/Griff not 2 weeks ago i did the same to my 02 Ford pikemup with 215 K

Tatume
06-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Last weekend I was pulling stumps with my 1999 F250 SD 7.3 TD. A friend was sitting in the cab holding the brakes, and I operated the hydraulic winch. All of a sudden the truck started rolling, and my friend said the brake pedal went to the floor. The right flexible brake line had blown. Turns out the front brakes were worn out anyway, and I wound up replacing the two brake lines, rotors and calipers.

I had done the same on the rear last fall. The line that runs on top of the rear axle had rusted through. Pedal went to the floor, and we found the rear disk brakes completely worn out. Replaced everything.

Makes me wonder about the value of annual state safety inspections. Two years in a row, and the brakes passed inspection both times. Rotors were about a thick as a sheet of paper.

DougGuy
06-21-2020, 09:24 AM
What most people skip right over is this. Brakes and tires work together, and one can work to ruin the other if not checked and or replaced near the same time.

A worn brake rotor or one with a hot spot will cause a change in resistance in the same spot(s) every time it goes around, and this will wear the tire in that spot more than the rest of the tire, so the tire actually gets a little bit shorter on that spot.

Now, you replace the brakes, and the tire with the flatter spot will cause the brake rotor to wear more in the same spot every time it goes around because the tire height changes, and this changes leverage against the brake rotor.

A couple years later you replace the tires, and the brake rotors will start wearing those new tires in the same spots the old tires were worn in, the cycle repeats itself.

I recently put a set of Michelin Defender LTX (70k mi warranty) on my 2008 Nissan Xterra, there were some worn and bumpy old Goodyears on it, and they had worn their own "pattern" into the brake rotors, so when the new tires got put on, the brakes were good but not as smooth as they could be. Me, who has always been a rather poor blue collar welder kinda guy, had NEVER bought Michelins, was rather shocked at the near $900 'investment' I had made, and wanted to insure they lasted and ran smooth so I replaced the rotors and pads, and now it is smooth as silk braking on those new Michelins.

After pricing rotors and pads at Advance, I had been eyeing up the Z23 performance brake kits, drilled and slotted rotors, metallic ceramic pads, I found the same $420 Advance Auto kit at Summit Racing for $308 and free shipping. This was cheaper than the Advance budget parts and they work very smoothly plus they are zinc plated and will retain their no rust appearance.

shaune509
06-21-2020, 02:51 PM
Just had to have the master cylinder and booster replaced n my '93 f350 diesel after 198,000. First change was brake pedal not returning after stop and then next day NO boost. Master was leaking into booster and for how long as you get used to the slight change along with the seldom heavy use, it was still stopping up till Wednesday. $680 parts and labor, not bad as with my health it would have takin me 2-3 days to do the job with al the under dash, under hood and under truck to bled.
Shaune509

Freightman
06-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Is your F250 gas or diesel?

It is a 5.7 L Winsor Bought it brand new 4/13/89, it would have taken me a year or more as I can't get down on my knees unless someone strong is there to help me up. To many birthdays 81 of them.