PDA

View Full Version : Got all the stuff to load 8x58R for my Remington. Couple questions.

koger
06-18-2020, 09:33 PM
I was out of town today, when my Lee 225 gr mold showed up, and my CH dies and shell holder. I am all set to fireform some brass if I can get everything together by Saturday. I have some questions, has anyone shot the 225 gr without a gas check? How about Powder coated? I dont have any gas checks yet, but some are on the way. I also have several hundred GC .324-180 gr 8mm cast bullets with lube grooves. I did not slug the barrel, but it looks mint. I stuck one of the slugs in the muzzle, and the grooves engaged the slug on the round nose, not even close to the driving bands. I think they would be alright for fireforming and shooting in general, I know they are not under bore. Also, what Unique charge should I use in fireforming, 13 grs or so.

marlinman93
06-19-2020, 11:25 AM
No reason this caliber can't be loaded with plain base bullets, just like almost any other can? As for powder coated bullets; I refuse to shoot them in any of my older BP era barrels personally.
13 grs. of Unique would be fine if you plan to fireform with a seated bullet. But it's too much if you aren't using a bullet during forming. And Unique is a great powder, but I prefer hotter powders if I fireform without a bullet, and just use a small charge of something like Bullseye, and fill with Cream of Wheat.

koger
06-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Marlinman thanks for the info. I ended up going with 15 grain of unique with the cast bullet seat out to touch the lands, perfect fire forming. No soot, no wrinkles, just great. Now I need to order another 100 rounds of the PPU brass before it is gone! Thanks everyone for the feedback and info.

Boz330
06-22-2020, 05:32 PM
I had very good luck with that boolit and 4759.
I even tried it with BP but the fouling was so bad I gave that idea up. Might work with a duplex load but I never tried that.

Bob