PDA

View Full Version : Back from Hiatus

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Like the title says, I’m back from a Hiatus of nearly a decade...

After several deployments, several moves, living in apartments, changing jobs several times in the civilian world, and finally getting settled into my more recent, and permanent, residence, I’m back.

So fill me in, what’s changed since the early 2010s? Other than the crazy nonsense of 2020. I’ve gathered that lots of lead has been sent down-range, and people finally gave up on casting for the AR platform (sadly I barely tested my NOE mold). What else?

On a related note, looks like besides some surface rust the molds survived being kept in a cardboard box in a storage unit in the south... little bit of penetrating oil and some steel wool have them brightened right up.

I ordered 50lbs of WW ingots until I could manage to get my lead out of storage (locates about 3 hours away).

And found a scrap yard locally that may potentially be a source for scrap lead.

P.S. H&G Molds Rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewer12345
06-18-2020, 09:39 PM
What is new? Mostly the advent of powder coating and that lead is far harder to get than it once was.

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 09:45 PM
What is new? Mostly the advent of powder coating and that lead is far harder to get than it once was.

Yeah, powder coating was just coming around when I left. One or two guys were toying with it. In fact I think one guy was actually using it with cast zink boolits.

As for lead, yeah sticker shock had me going for a bit. But I expected that with the foundries shutting down. I’ve got probably 60-70lbs worth of WWs in storage. So, I’ve got an ok supply for now with the 50lbs I ordered. But the price was about twice what I had been accustomed to. But that’s par for the course.

Next, after I finish cleaning my equipment, I’ll get to see how much powder I get to keep, and what needs to be dumped in the yard as fertilizer. I’m not too worried about them, as they were stored inside in a closet. Hope those two kegs of Unique I have are still good....

Winger Ed.
06-18-2020, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=jdgabbard;So fill me in, what’s changed since the early 2010s? [/QUOTE]

I found out myself that everything is more expensive now than it used to be.:bigsmyl2:
Powder seems to be up the least, but most other stuff has gone into lunar orbit.

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 09:48 PM
I found out myself that everything is more expensive now than it used to be.:bigsmyl2:
Powder seems to be up the least, but most other stuff has gone into lunar orbit.

Yeah, I noticed. Even equipment seems to have gone up. Haven’t checked molds, but currently have everything I need for those at the moment. Though, I wouldn’t mind getting ride of my aluminum ones and replacing with iron or brass versions. I don’t even want to guess what H&G gang molds go for....

Winger Ed.
06-18-2020, 09:51 PM
I don’t even want to guess what H&G gang molds go for....

I hadn't checked on them.
My credit may not be good enough to get financing for one of those.

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 09:53 PM
I was smart and bought two 4-banger molds when I realized I would be in the hobby for a while. One is the 38 wadcutter, I can’t remember which the other is, but I’m thinking another 38/9mm mold. Haven’t dug that deep into the box yet.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Well, welcome back, and welcome home! :D

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 09:57 PM
Well, welcome back, and welcome home! :D

Thanks. Hopefully will be slinging lead soon.

murf205
06-18-2020, 10:01 PM
New powders. A bunch of them for every thing from 22 Hornet to full throttle cannons. Shooters World (Lovex) powders, Accurate, IMR, Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant, you name it.

charlie b
06-18-2020, 10:04 PM
It's ok. I started casting again after 20 years of not much shooting. The thing I like the most is the wide variety of molds available now, and so well made. Second best is powder coating. I don't miss my lubesizer at all. The thing I do miss is the over 100lb of pure lead I had to get rid of. Lack of good wheel weight source means I buy all my lead alloy now. Since my casting is for my .308 then it isn't that big a deal.

jdgabbard
06-18-2020, 10:09 PM
Wow, powder coating is that advanced now that it’s common practice? What am I gonna do with all my carnuba red?!?!

I’m not sure when I’ll need to buy more powder. I’m hoping what I have is still in good shape. Although I am thinking about getting into some Holy Smoke. Probably need some pure PB for that...

Why did you toss so much lead?

LenH
06-19-2020, 01:44 PM
jdgabbard, welcome back. I am on the fence with the powder coating, I have tried it and still not sure. I have reverted back to sizing and lubing. I guess I am too
old school. I'd keep the CR and use it but that is just me.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-20-2020, 08:04 AM
jdgabbard, welcome back. I am on the fence with the powder coating, I have tried it and still not sure. I have reverted back to sizing and lubing. I guess I am too
old school. I'd keep the CR and use it but that is just me.

I am having good luck with PC 9mm boolits. But I find it time consuming and fiddly compared to tumble lubing.

lightman
06-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Welcome Back!

The need thing is probably powder coating. Those that do swear by it. There are probably a few powders available. And there are a good number of companies that make quality custom molds. Lead is getting harder to fine but its still out there. If you find a scrap yard that will sell to you stock up when you can.

I love my H&G molds. I've paid around $150 on average for nice 4 cavity molds with handles. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

Anyway, Welcome Back! Looking forward to seeing you post.

Thumbcocker
06-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Could you post some pics of Hiatus? I hear there is some beautiful scenery there.

sundog
06-20-2020, 10:30 AM
jdgabbard, try Jerry's Reloading (https://www.jerrysreloading.com/) for local supplies. Good folks to deal with.

Also, Crusader Tactical (https://www.crusadertacticalok.com/). More good people.

I have not 'greased' a boolit in a couple years or more. Powder coat working well - handguns and long guns.

Maybe we'll meet ftf. I belong to Oil Capital and North American.

Shuz
06-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Welcome back! Thanks for your service!
Your 2 kegs of Unique will be just fine if stored under normal heat conditions.

jdgabbard
06-20-2020, 12:54 PM
jdgabbard, try Jerry's Reloading (https://www.jerrysreloading.com/) for local supplies. Good folks to deal with.

Also, Crusader Tactical (https://www.crusadertacticalok.com/). More good people.

I have not 'greased' a boolit in a couple years or more. Powder coat working well - handguns and long guns.

Maybe we'll meet ftf. I belong to Oil Capital and North American.

Thanks, I’ve been to Jerry’s before. If I remember correctly they found some wildcat reloading information for me out of an old manual a long time ago.

Not familiar with those clubs, but do seem to remember we met up once when I bought some powder off you. Was some surplus powder for 5.56 from pull downs. Forget the name, but still have the powder....

EDIT: WC844 was the powder.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/14be7eb33cd5e5e41d88e5798b48c167.jpg

jdgabbard
06-20-2020, 01:01 PM
Maybe I only had one keg of unique and one of red dot...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/6ba5fd0c068f1c2542eab20d407dd8b6.jpg

jdgabbard
06-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Welcome back! Thanks for your service!
Your 2 kegs of Unique will be just fine if stored under normal heat conditions.

Thanks Shuz, I’ve actually been out for a while. But the reintegration back to society was part of the hassle.

sureYnot
06-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Only some people gave up on casting for the AR platform. Lots of us are shooting cast out of our AR-15s, 10s, and blackouts.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mainiac
06-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Welcome back,,i was gone for about 5 years,,job changes,and work gets in the way,now im back,though!

curiousgeorge
06-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Good to have you back safe. I'm there with you on the H&G molds. About 25 years ago I picked up two 6 cavity (#68- 38 wadcutter / #50- 45 swc) & a 4 cavity (#43- 38 swc). Allng with a 4 cavity Lyman #429421, a 2 cavity RCBS 45-250-swc, & a Lyman #311041 I really had all the molds I needed. Now wkth over 30 molds I really can't remember how I came up with all of them. Check and see if any of yours multiplied while in storage.

Very seriously though, thank you for your sevice.

jdgabbard
06-20-2020, 03:51 PM
Good to have you back safe. I'm there with you on the H&G molds. About 25 years ago I picked up two 6 cavity (#68- 38 wadcutter / #50- 45 swc) & a 4 cavity (#43- 38 swc). Allng with a 4 cavity Lyman #429421, a 2 cavity RCBS 45-250-swc, & a Lyman #311041 I really had all the molds I needed. Now wkth over 30 molds I really can't remember how I came up with all of them. Check and see if any of yours multiplied while in storage.

Very seriously though, thank you for your sevice.

Unfortunately I don’t think they multiplied. I’d like to have a nice 4-banger 160gr RN mold. I don’t remember the H&G number off the top of my head. I have the 2-cav 358311 from Lyman. But I’d prefer the H&G variant due to build quality. Maybe one day I can afford to buy one.

15meter
06-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Next, after I finish cleaning my equipment, I’ll get to see how much powder I get to keep, and what needs to be dumped in the yard as fertilizer. I’m not too worried about them, as they were stored inside in a closet. Hope those two kegs of Unique I have are still good....

Powder lasts a lot longer than is commonly assumed, earlier this year I loaded up some Swifts with H380 that came out of Hodgdon cans that did not have a ZIP code on them. Almost finished off a can of Hercules Bullseye on a batch of 38 Specials earlier this week.

Kept reasonably temperature stable/moderate temp., it should be just fine.

jdgabbard
07-01-2020, 06:40 PM
So, looks like most of my dies got rusty during the long break... Hopefully it’s mostly surface rust and I won’t have to replace too much. So far, only two sets out of the last ten haven’t had rust on them. But, there is hope. After 5 minutes in Evapo-Rust, here are a set of 223 dies. Posted before and after...

Before

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/628bb0c73d11a0ef306e4f03b5c75c2c.jpg

After 5 minutes

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/ad8b99320108263c1b398914de36da37.jpg

And here is the finished set.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200702/5f4683c8f4440d57aa886c4b11c9eeba.jpg

Alferd Packer
07-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Yes
Welcome back jdga!
A stationary grinder with a fine grade wire wheel will make those dies shine again in short order.
Any rust inside, bronze bore rush in a drill and some kerosene.
But you know all that already so I'm just glad another soldier made it back to enjoy what he fought for.
Good Luck!

36Power
07-10-2020, 08:38 PM
...and people finally gave up on casting for the AR platform (sadly I barely tested my NOE mold).

Not all of us

jdgabbard
07-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Yes
Welcome back jdga!
A stationary grinder with a fine grade wire wheel will make those dies shine again in short order.
Any rust inside, bronze bore rush in a drill and some kerosene.
But you know all that already so I'm just glad another soldier made it back to enjoy what he fought for.
Good Luck!

Thanks, Alferd.

jdgabbard
07-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Not all of us

Nice looking ones there.

Vdubman27
07-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Welcome back I’m kinda in the same boat different circumstances but the powder coat is on my short list of new skills to learn also hi tek coating looks promising equipment is pretty great these days too 🤓

jdgabbard
07-10-2020, 10:16 PM
Welcome back I’m kinda in the same boat different circumstances but the powder coat is on my short list of new skills to learn also hi tek coating looks promising equipment is pretty great these days too [emoji851]

Powder Coating is interesting. For me I think it he advantage would be in longer storage of loaded ammo. Where lead exposure could be reduced. And potentially fattening up a few boolits for use in larger bores. I’m not sure I’d ever completely give up my lubrisizer. A few too many proven combinations to forget about. But I’m open to experimentation.

jdgabbard
07-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Looks like I also may have just found a new source of lead. My neighbor behind me and I can easily see each other in our backyards. Since I have a deck that overlooks his. While smelting up some COWWs yesterday he noticed and asked. After a short discussion, he volunteered to see what they do with their WWs (he is a tech at a local high volume shop). So, I may have access to several buckets a week.

Looks like I better buy a Dutch oven and a turkey fryer...

35remington
07-12-2020, 02:38 PM
In many areas most WW’s are no longer made of lead

jdgabbard
07-12-2020, 02:39 PM
In many areas most WW’s are no longer made of lead

I’m in Oklahoma. We’re the last to change anything. But I imagine there will be more in the bucket these days.

skeettx
07-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Welcome HOME
Thank you for your service
Well done, well done
Now enjoy
Mike