PDA

View Full Version : shipping a milsurp

oconeedan
06-18-2020, 06:39 PM
I may be putting up a Finnish 1944 91/30 for sale. Can I assume this is C&R rifle, and can be shipped across state lines to a C&R license holder or FFL holder?
Thanks, Dan

WebMonkey
06-18-2020, 07:17 PM
50 years old is c&r BUT states have their own rules about things.

missouri can ship in and out without restriction on c&r but other states have their own 'rules'.

so, you'll have to check whatever your state says along with the state you want to send it to.

good luck

MrWolf
06-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Check states laws. If I remember correctly New Jersey doesn't recognize C&R.

oconeedan
06-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Thanks fellow shooters!

higgins
06-20-2020, 05:06 PM
A few years ago the local ATF office verified for me that I (an unlicensed individual) can send a C&R rifle to a C&R license holder.
You can send it to a license holder through USPS mail, but check with your local PO before you show up with the rifle to make sure they, and you, understand the rules. They may have to verify that it is unloaded (my PO did) so consider that when packing it.

Get a copy of the license to pack with the rifle and keep for your records. The ATF can also give you a phone number for their license center so you can verify that it is a real and active license. Not too complicated a process really.

Shawlerbrook
06-20-2020, 06:13 PM
I don’t think you can here in NYS because the SafeAct requires background checks unless you have an 01-ffl .

Stewbaby
06-20-2020, 08:23 PM
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

oconeedan
06-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Thank you!

Uncle Grinch
06-20-2020, 09:44 PM
In Georgia you can ship a long-gun to another Georgia resident without going through an FFL dealer. Not sure how this applies in other states. I always do my due diligence to confirm eligibility of the receiving party.

pietro
06-21-2020, 10:07 AM

You can ship/mail your C&R rifle to any purchaser in your state, but must ship/mail to only an FFL or C&R holder in other states.

YOU only need to check your state law to determine if you can ship w/o using an FFL/C&R holder on your end.

It's incumbent on the buyer to know and observe their state & municipal laws, not you (the seller/sender).

If you mail it (USPS), the parcel contents do not have to be revealed beyond the mailability questions (are the contents hazardous, explosive, fragile, liquid, etc, etc ?) that the Postal Clerk is bound to ask.

If you ship it (UPS/FEDEX), the contents must be truthfully revealed on the shipping form - why I use USPS faithfully.

USPS cannot be used to mail assembled/live ammo, but UPS/FEDEX can be so used.

USPS will mail a handgun for FFL holders only.

oconeedan
06-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Thanks! A very good summary pietro.

pietro
06-21-2020, 08:15 PM

The best of luck with your sale ! :)

bullet maker 57
06-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Must ship to an FFL if going to New York.