PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Sweetie

Hogtamer
06-18-2020, 02:16 PM
10 yr old grand daughter and I payed a visit to the neighbors blueberry patch this morning and picked, washed and put up 10 qts. of blueberries. Minus enough to make a batch of muffins of course. This counts as one of our "adventures" we both look forward to from time to time. I am blessed beyond measure!

263784 263785

Texas by God
06-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Good memories for you both!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ozark mike
06-18-2020, 02:27 PM
Back when i was younger we used to pick blackberrys along the gravel roads in missouri mom would make cobblers and whatnot fond times

gon2shoot
06-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Take her out again tomorrow, they grow up real fast.

jdfoxinc
06-18-2020, 04:44 PM
The berries or the grand daughter?

smithnframe
06-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Good source of antioxidants!

MrWolf
06-18-2020, 08:43 PM
Good for you. Congrats

tankgunner59
06-18-2020, 08:49 PM
I love blueberries and blackberries. We used to have blackberry pies and cobblers when my grandparents in Missouri were still here, many years ago. And having adventures with the grandkids was absolutely great, when I was able to spend time with them. I miss them more than I'd miss about anything else. Keep up the adventures and spend a lot of time with them.

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 02:11 AM
I tried to grow them here.
It just didn't happen.

Wayne Smith
06-19-2020, 07:30 AM
I tried to grow them here.
It just didn't happen.

No, even Southern Highbush need some cold. 24 years ago I planted blueberries around the back yard - and last year we froze 29 quarts. We are picking them now. In Hawaii you would need to plant papayas perhaps. Something tropical. I wish we could plant rhubarb or artichokes here but both of them can't stand their roots wet. Around here you did down two feet and you have a wading pool! I would love to have an apple tree but again, not enough cold and roots wet.

dragon813gt
06-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Blueberry picking this time of year? Can’t do that around here till around the end of July at the earliest. Wish my Aunt hadn’t gotten the family cabin when my Grandmother passed away. The dock by the creek was lined w/ blueberry bushes. Probably ate my weight as a little kid after a long day of swimming.

Markopolo
06-19-2020, 08:51 AM
good source of memories, especially your grand daughter... she will never for the time when her and grandpa did.......

GOPHER SLAYER
06-19-2020, 12:49 PM
When I was a little tike in Missouri my Mom would take me to pick blackberries. She would give me my own little can to put them in. I ate most as soon as I picked them. She didn't seem to mind.

WRideout
06-20-2020, 09:02 AM
No, even Southern Highbush need some cold. 24 years ago I planted blueberries around the back yard - and last year we froze 29 quarts. We are picking them now. In Hawaii you would need to plant papayas perhaps. Something tropical. I wish we could plant rhubarb or artichokes here but both of them can't stand their roots wet. Around here you did down two feet and you have a wading pool! I would love to have an apple tree but again, not enough cold and roots wet.

In Southern CA there are some apple varieties that don't need a lot of cold weather. One of them is the Gordon.

Wayne

bedbugbilly
06-20-2020, 10:33 AM
My grandmother passed away when I was eight . . . . . it's been 60 plus yers ago but I still remember with great fondness the simple things in life such as you describe that we did together . . . picking berries, making cookies and pies and then feeling so grown up when we would sit at the table and she would pour us both a cup of hot tea from a tea pot that looked like a black cat and we would sample the fruits of our labor.

Your grand-daughter looks like a real sweetheart and the things you do tobethher like berry picking, baking, etc. are always going to be fond memories for her. Thanks for sharing and it looks like you two had a great day . . . and thanks for there memories it brought back to me.

BrutalAB
06-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Weve had a row of about 7 bushes that have been producing for a few years now, this spring we came across a blueberry farm that was retiring and selling off all their plants at a small premium to the bare roots that nurserys sell. We now have around 22 blueberry bushes.

I think weve got a decent patch now.