PDA

View Full Version : TV sound bar

abunaitoo
06-17-2020, 09:16 PM
I'm sure some use them.
Have two TV's and the sound is not as good as the old TV's that died.
One is a small 18" table top. Other is a bigger 45".
Looking for a sound bar that would not need a separate remote.
I've read some work in place with the TV speakers.
I think it plugs into the HDMI port.
Not looking for anything fancy.
Just better TV sound.
Nothing to expensive.
The small TV was under $75 when I bought it.
Suggestions????

edler7
06-17-2020, 09:56 PM
I had an LG. Paid 300 or so, it lasted 2-3 years.

I’ve stayed away from anything LG since then.

Brokenbear
06-17-2020, 10:48 PM
I have a ZVOX ..have had it for 5 or 6 years ..it is very good ..bought it simply because I could not always hear clearly the TV speakers ..The parts I like about the ZVOX is it has a "dialog emphasis" button which blocks out other noises within the movie sound track ..for instance 2 people at a restaurant at a table talking ..the dialog button "dims" the background sound of dishes,glasses etc clinking and the general all around murmur is toned down ...AND base and treble tones can be changed in seconds which will also improve clarity of dialog.

The one thing you asked for was not to have another remote but I've got to say that if you want a sound bar that actually works ..you will need the remote for the sound bar as NO cable remote,universal remote or tv remote is going to have the buttons(controls) to make the above functions work which are a BIG part of how the sound bar blows away the tv speakers

PS: a good sound bar at $200/$500 is a heck of a lot cheaper than $3000.00 worth of aggravating hearing aids ...PLUS with the sound bar and no hearing aids ..I can still put my good ear down on a pillow and everything goes away [smilie=6:

Good luck
Bear

Petrol & Powder
06-17-2020, 11:02 PM
With the flat LCD TV's of today's world there is little room for real speakers. Manufactures don't pay much attention to the sound quality of TV's and pretty much assume the purchaser will supplement the audio system of the TV. For all practical purposes, TV's have become monitors with multiple inputs.

There are some low cost routes you can go to improve the audio output of a TV. The simplest is to just add a sound bar, which is just a fancy name for an external speaker. That generally means a separate remote for the audio but not always.
An inexpensive and highly effective route is to purchase a FM transmitter and feed the audio to a stereo OR FM radio headphones. CCrane makes a great FM transmitter with a standard 1/8" stereo input jack and RCA adaptor that will fill this role nicely.

https://www.ccrane.com/item/acc_trans_trans2/100/digital_fm_transmitter_2_for_sending_near_broadcas t_quality

MT Gianni
06-18-2020, 12:39 AM
I got a couple at Wallyworld for $60 each. They have a small remote but work great. Easy hook up with four options for sound delivery.

clum553946
06-18-2020, 12:57 AM
Just got an Insignia for $59.95 from Best Buy, works great.

fn1889m
06-18-2020, 02:45 AM
I bought a Samsung sound bar and bass woofer for my Samsung TV. It plugged into the TV, and had excellent sound. It did have a separate remote. Once set up I only used the On/Off and Volume controls. The cost was under $200.

Since then, I have got rid of my TV (and stereo) but kept the sound bar. It had a Bluetooth connection that works great with my iPad for music, TV, movies, etc. The sound quality is very good. If I ever bought a stereo receiver I would use it for that as well. But I am waiting for Digital FM to come to my area first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

winelover
06-18-2020, 06:55 AM
I like and use Sonos sound bars for my TV's. They also can stream music from stations like Pandora, Sirius, iHeart Radio and others. I have multiple units, throughout the house and shop. When I sit out on the covered porch, I take a smaller unit out there.

Winelover

10x
06-18-2020, 07:40 AM
A sound bar is a great investment. Get one with Bluetooth so you can listen to podcasts from your phone.
I am considering a sound bar for my workshop.
My son shared his "Spotify" Family plan with me and I like to listen to podcasts while I reload or do the interesting projects that catch my fancy.
A sound bar with Bluetooth also can make an very nice portable sound system that runs off of 12 V with an inverter.
But a sound bar does not replace a quality set of blue tooth hearing aides.
My wife likes the sound on the television at a "reasonable" level. I turn up my hearing aid volume when I need to,.

dragon813gt
06-18-2020, 09:54 AM
I like and use Sonos sound bars for my TV's.
I would stay away from Sonos. They have backtracked but they were going to brick older models through recycle mode. Thus forcing you to buy new. Any company that would do this is not one that I would willingly give my money to.

There are plenty of other options. If it has Bluetooth you can connect your phone and other devices. If it supports DLNA you can play directly from your media server.

GhostHawk
06-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Our last sound bar was a smaller, less expensive LG. The only thing I don't like about it. There is nothing on screen to tell you where the sound is set to.

It does have a small remote, it kinda does have to be aimed at the right end of the sound bar.
But it does work and was not expensive. Overall for me LG has been good, from DVD Opitical drives to washing machine.

DocSavage
06-18-2020, 11:21 AM
I've an older bose unit that works well hooked up to my Samsung 50".

Hossfly
06-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Have 2 Bose sound bars they have Bluetooth and connect to phone and IPad thru app expensive but works very well. Last word Bose....

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 02:18 AM
Only going to be used for the TV.
Don't have one of the dumb phones.
I'm looking for something small that will work through the TV.
I think they call it HDMI(A) or something like that.

brass410
06-19-2020, 06:40 PM
I have a vizo (Costco) sound bar and bass (Sub) wireless. absolutely love it no more snake pit of wire like when using stereo. Sound is very good.

jsizemore
06-19-2020, 08:10 PM
You can take the preamp out from the TV and hook it to a stereo. Set the volume for the stereo and use your TV remote for volume. Modern day AV sound systems accept HDMI. The used market for either of these systems are about the cost of a decent soundbar.

The vizio soundbar hooked to a vizio TV does sound good.