PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452664 won’t fit completely into chambers.

greenjoytj
06-17-2020, 08:16 PM
I have 2 Ruger New Vaquero’s 45 Colt.
Last summer I cast a bunch of Lyman 452664 250 gr RNFP bevel base single lube groove bullets.

They worked fine in my Miroku/WinM73 but won’t chamber completely in the Ruger’s.
The case rim won’t seat down onto the cylinder it stands off just enough not to allow the cylinder to rotate freely it binding terrible.

At home I cleaned the revolvers and with just a cylinder in hand I plunk tested several cartridges in all the chambers an found the case stopping just short of fully seating the rim onto the cylinder. A very firm push will fully chamber the round.

Close examination looks like a issue with bullet sizing.
After bullet sizing the top drive band is smeared wider towards the ogive creating a wide band like a semi wad cutter above the case mouth.

The width of the band is not evenly symmetrical all around as cast bullets don’t drop round from the 4 cavity Lyman mold.
The extra width of the top drive band where the lead is displaced the most is at the mold part lines. It is this small bit of extra lead smeared up the ogive seems is causing the problem, it is hitting the throat before the case rim fully seats into the cylinder face.

Never had this problem with my LEE 452-255-RF bullets or my SAECO #955 .452”/.454” 255 grain RNFP and sizing that #955 bullet to .452” nearly smears way the crimp groove.

How down I fix this?

I don’t want to shorten the case length as there mostly at the trim to size now, although shortening the case would make this bullet work.

I’ll need to check case lengths now that they been fired twice.
Not expecting any case length growth in the straight wall cases.

I liked this Lyman bullet in the M73, the big single lube groove, the bevel base was not a problem and made bullet seating easier, lubed easier than the two groove LEE bullet.

I plunk tested all my handloads in a gauge, not the actual chamber they were to be fired in, learn by burn.

DAFzipper
06-17-2020, 08:19 PM
You could try a Lee push through Sizer. They are fairly inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

mehavey
06-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Your problem is the Ruger cylinder throat(s).
They are invariably way undersize, and need to be uniformly reamed out to a standard .4525"

See https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/cylinder-throat-diameter-hard-cast-bullets.862072/#post-11359851

lar45
06-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Other than sending your cylinder out for work to open up the throats...
You can just seat the bullet a little deeper until it plunks into the chambers without any problems.
For crimping, try the Lee Collett crimp die, it will crimp where ever you seat the bullet even if there isn't a crimp groove.
I just had to do this with the Ranch Dog 45-290TL

greenjoytj
06-19-2020, 07:04 PM
You could try a Lee push through Sizer. They are fairly inexpensive.
Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I have that LEE push up sizer. Tried it works it displaces the lead downward so there’s not lead displaced to jam against the throats.
I don’t pre-lube the bullets I thrust a lubed dauber up into the die, I wipe that lube off as the bullets will be sent through the Redding lubri-sizer to get Emmerts applied.

Double sizing is time consuming.

I think the problem maybe cause by the 4 cavity Lyman mold, specifically I maybe getting it to hot which causes the mold to expand lengthwise ovaling the bullets. The Redding sizer rounds the bullet but smears too much lead up the part line causing chambering interference at the throat.

greenjoytj
06-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Your problem is the Ruger cylinder throat(s).
They are invariably way undersize, and need to be uniformly reamed out to a standard .4525"

See https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/cylinder-throat-diameter-hard-cast-bullets.862072/#post-11359851

Tapping the nose of a bullet into one chamber throat and measuring the bullet as sizes by the throat I see .4513” dia. on my cheap micrometer.

I will look into this throat reaming, I’d like to do it my self hopefully you you don’t need a machine shop vertical mill to keep it all straight.