PDA

View Full Version : Installing 22lr barrel liner

Danth
06-16-2020, 10:50 AM
I've got a barrel in 32 long which I intend to line in 22lr. Because of the loose fit in the bore, would it be best to acraglas, solder or loctite in place? Best, Dan

Chill Wills
06-16-2020, 10:58 AM
I've got a barrel in 32 long which I intend to line in 22lr. Because of the loose fit in the bore, would it be best to acraglas, solder or loctite in place? Best, Dan

How close a fit is the liner drill to the liner? Based on that, you can chose the product you use. Be sure you read the provisions on each product to see how much gap it will bond.

Sorry I don't have any better advice than that.

LynC2
06-16-2020, 11:28 AM
How close a fit is the liner drill to the liner? Based on that, you can chose the product you use. Be sure you read the provisions on each product to see how much gap it will bond.

Sorry I don't have any better advice than that.

However that is some very sound advice. :-)

Der Gebirgsjager
06-16-2020, 01:07 PM
For a .22 liner that is a loose fit I'd go with the AccraGlas. It will create a bond plenty strong enough for .22 pressures, and fill the void around the liner better. It would take a lot of solder to fill that area. I can't imagine using Loctite at all given the circumstances. Be sure to de-grease thoroughly before using the epoxy.

Red River Rick
06-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Loctite "RC/680". Cylindrical high strength retaining compound works best. It will fill gaps up to 0.015".

I've used it to reline a number of barrels without any problem. Not as messy as AccraGlas or any other epoxy based products.

RRR

KCSO
06-16-2020, 03:36 PM
Does the 15/16 liner drill clean up the rifling on the bore? If the fit is not too loose acra glass will hold just fine. I prefer to have a very tight fit whenever possible and I swedge the muzzle a bit to give the gun a no liner look at the front. Really to do it right drill and ream is best but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get a shooter.

Danth
06-16-2020, 10:18 PM
Looks like there's .003" from the liner to the lands. How do you swedge the muzzle to hide the liner?

country gent
06-16-2020, 10:53 PM
I would be more concerned if the bore dosnt clean up of getting a good clean surface to bond to. I would think a epoxy worked in good making sure there's no air pockets in the joint should be fine. Maybe one of the repair epoxies with steel in it to aid in centering and strength. Plastic steel putty comes to mind but cant remember the maker now for the life of me.

You might want to sacrifice a bore brush and work epoxy thru with it, then the liner with epoxy on it and slowly spinning as inserted. A brush will give a even coat the length of the bore to start with. If the bore dosnt clean up with the drill a light acid etch may aid cleaning and surface

LAGS
06-17-2020, 02:45 AM
I Relined a .32 Rim Fire to .22lr using Epoxy.
It has held up great.

M-Tecs
06-17-2020, 02:55 AM
Loctite "RC/680". Cylindrical high strength retaining compound works best. It will fill gaps up to 0.015".

I've used it to reline a number of barrels without any problem. Not as messy as AccraGlas or any other epoxy based products.

RRR

680 is some amazing stuff. It's takes way more heat or cold than epoxy ever dreamed of. Easier to use and strong bond also.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-17-2020, 12:07 PM
Looks like there's .003" from the liner to the lands. How do you swedge the muzzle to hide the liner?

That's going to depend on a couple of things. First, if you use an epoxy, stain some of it black and apply it near the liner's muzzle. If using something else it will be more difficult to hide. Secondly, polish the completed job's muzzle and cold blue it. Another way would be to put the finished job in a lathe and give it a recessed target crown, with the liner set back into the muzzle maybe .02" or cut back at an angle like a "V".