PDA

View Full Version : What is it and evapo rust test

abunaitoo
06-16-2020, 01:28 AM
Another "What is it"
I like these.
I'm sure many will know what this is.

Being very rusted, I'm going to try evapo rust on it.
Pouring it out, I did notice a slight acid smell to it.
Nothing happened when poured.
I covered it and will leave it overnight.

nicholst55
06-16-2020, 02:32 AM
I have used Evapo-Rust fairly extensively, and it works well. It contains phosphoric acid, and is probably just slightly more aggressive than white vinegar. Good stuff, IMHO.

abunaitoo
06-16-2020, 05:58 PM
This is after 14 hours overnight.
Solution is all black.
Looks like it did take off most of the rust.
Still a lot more to go.

abunaitoo
06-16-2020, 06:00 PM
No guesses on what it is?????

CastingFool
06-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Plumb line for surveyors, perhaps

megasupermagnum
06-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Being as they are chained together, my first thought was a yard game.

metricmonkeywrench
06-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Dang it... seen it somewhere before... brain cells are not connecting tonight

Bilge or tank sounding gauge?

WebMonkey
06-16-2020, 09:43 PM
it's a b movie kung-fu weapon

:)

NyFirefighter357
06-16-2020, 11:20 PM
IDK but looks like a rain chain.

abunaitoo
06-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Two days in the evaporust.
I kind of expected it to do more.
Solution is getting darker.
Looks like a little more rust came off.

foesgth
06-17-2020, 03:24 PM
I think it is the Aloha version of a Wyoming wind sock. For use in Typhoons!

JimB..
06-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Kinda looks like a surveyors chain, but too short.

I usually take a brush to rusty stuff to knock off anything loose before I toss it into the evaporust. Take it out, scrub it again to get rid of the residue, and done.

I’d be tempted to run this item through the wet tumbler.

Gunor
06-17-2020, 07:10 PM
Evapo Rust - don’t leave too long in the solution. 6 hours, scrub with nylon brush. And then a another 6 hours.

Brush cleans off the converted rust - allows a little more penetration of the rust.

I think the evapo rust starts to remove metal after so long...

My 2 cents

thxmrgarand
06-17-2020, 08:26 PM
These could be weights for windows - older windows in older houses.

45workhorse
06-17-2020, 08:48 PM
They don't look like any window sash weights, that I have seen. But, I have been not correct in the past.:bigsmyl2:

abunaitoo
06-17-2020, 09:03 PM
It'll try and brush it off a little.
I thought it's not suppose to take off good metal.
That's what they advertise.

OldBearHair
06-17-2020, 09:11 PM
That thing could be used as a leg trap drag. More likely not what it is, but it would leave a pretty good drag line to follow to retrieve your trap/animal.

abunaitoo
06-17-2020, 09:17 PM
All good guesses.

megasupermagnum
06-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Judging by the picture, they are too small for window weights. Every window weight I've seen I'm guessing was around 12"-16" long maybe 2" wide cylinder, with one end an eye to tie the rope to. Plus they don't rust too bad being in a wall.

In this case, with the one end being a spike, and the other on a swivel, plus all the rust, the to me is some kind of outdoor implement. Possibly farm equipment. Maybe from some webbing for an animal drawn cart.

fixit
06-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Sounding chain?

Scrounge
06-17-2020, 10:29 PM
I have used Evapo-Rust fairly extensively, and it works well. It contains phosphoric acid, and is probably just slightly more aggressive than white vinegar. Good stuff, IMHO.

There is no phosphoric acid in Evaporust. If there was, it would be listed on the SDS. https://evaporust.com/SDS%20PDF/SDS%20Evaporust.pdf

Yes, it is good stuff. Only thing I've used it on that didn't survive was a set of very old feeler gauges. They were too rusty. Needed my draw knife this week, dragged it out of the box it's been sitting in for much of the past 20 years, and found it rusty. About six hours in the bucket of evaporust, wooden handles and all, and it's rust free. I'll need to oil it after I finish re-sharpening it. Had a couple of notches right in the center of the blade. Wahhhh!

As for what it is, I KNOW I once knew what they are. Can't find in the filing system in my brain. Hate it when that happens! :(

samari46
06-18-2020, 01:16 AM
Looks like the hitching chains for old horse drawn wagons??. Or have I been watching too many westerns??. Or something similar to what I posted. Frank

nicholst55
06-18-2020, 02:16 AM
There is no phosphoric acid in Evaporust. If there was, it would be listed on the SDS. https://evaporust.com/SDS%20PDF/SDS%20Evaporust.pdf(

You are correct, sir. I guess I misremembered what was in it.

dragon813gt
06-18-2020, 07:22 AM
It'll try and brush it off a little.
I thought it's not suppose to take off good metal.
That's what they advertise.

You should still prep it before submerging it. It will eventually work given enough time. But you’re making the solution do more work and killing it’s effectiveness at the same time. It has a limit to what it can do. W/ how black the solution is I would have changed it out for new.

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 01:56 AM
So it's the third day, and the solution is really black.
I'm thinking dragon813gt might be correct.
The solution might be dead, used up, useless.
Kind of like the damacrats.
It doesn't look like it did anything from yesterday.
I washed it and brushed it a little.
I put it back in to see if brushing it will help.
Experiment is to see how good it is, and how long it will last.

Keep up with the guesses on what it is.
I would have thought it was an easy one.
Probably not very common in the lower 48.

Ozark mike
06-19-2020, 03:30 AM
Looks like a oil lamp chandelier chain

corbinace
06-19-2020, 03:52 AM
Many guesses have come into my head and gone away, after Googling a bit to prove my theory.

I am down to something nautically oriented. A subject about which, I am woefully inadequate.

My first guess was some sort of depth or speed measuring tool for an old boat, but neither of those panned out.

It may still be some sort of measurement tool. As it seems like the marks on the bars are equidistant across the round links, ie; two lines on the bar equals the distance across the links. Maybe to measure the circumference of something?

It need to be non-rigid, to do it's job.
It needs to swivel on the one end.
One end may be driven into something.

So, even though you may not have a lot of guesses coming, rest assured there are some of us exercising brain cells trying to figure it out.

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 03:59 AM
Great guesses, but not close.
Keep on guessing.

JimB..
06-19-2020, 04:31 AM
Do each of the metal links swivel? I ask because the orientation of the holes does not appear to be consistent from piece to piece.

I’m no expert on fishing, ice fishing, or crabbing, but it doesn’t look like anything I’d expect to be used for those. Certainly nothing that would be submerged in salt water for an extended period.

Is “lower 48” a hint that it is likely from Alaska? I thought that Hawaiian Islanders referred to us as “the mainland” while my friends in AK always refer to us as the lower 48.

Oddball guess, is it a downspout chain?

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 03:50 PM
Well, it seems the solution is DOA.
No change today.
I had expected better results, but probably expected to much.
I'll try changing the solution and see if the last of the rust is removed.

I'm in hawaii.
We call the lower 48 "the mainland".
hawaii, we just call home.
Not sure what transplants call us.
Keep on guessing.

jreidthompson1
06-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Martial arts chain whip

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaNapper
06-19-2020, 04:24 PM
It looks like a chain whip. I first heard of such a thing last year. I had to do some quick reading since I was under the impression they were a relatively new fad. Seems they've been around in one form or another for a couple thousand years, more than long enough to build a good coat of rust.

If that's what it is, Wikipedia has a page on chain whips. It's a martial arts weapon. the pointy end draws the blood. It's supposedly also used for defense against a sword or knife

abunaitoo
06-20-2020, 03:48 AM
Three got it correct.
It is a chinese martial arts chain whip.
Just don't see them around these days.

I changed out the fluid.
Will see how it does tomorrow.

wildwilly501
06-20-2020, 08:39 AM
Do three of them have something on them?Looks like it did good on all but three one its doesn't look like it did much.Just wondering why.

abunaitoo
06-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Rust
Seems the solution died before it could eat all the rust off.
New solution helped some.
Still some rust on it.
It seems it's the best it can do.
No all that impressed with evaporust.

wildwilly501
06-21-2020, 07:50 AM
I know its rust I wondered if they had some oil or grease or something the others didn't.But they don't look as bad in the last picture.No chemical rust remover is going to make them look like new.

Scrounge
06-21-2020, 08:49 AM
Rust
Seems the solution died before it could eat all the rust off.
New solution helped some.
Still some rust on it.
It seems it's the best it can do.
No all that impressed with evaporust.
EvapoRust is water based, and it doesn't do anything to grease or oil. You need to degrease anything that has oil or grease on it before it goes in the solution. It doesn't do anything about paint, either. Electrolytic rust removal will get grease, oil, and paint, but it will also eat non-ferrous metals. Copper or aluminum rivets, bronze bearings, et cetera.

JimB..
06-21-2020, 12:13 PM
I’d spray it down with degreaser, or maybe soak it in gas for a couple days and then spray it down with degreaser, then back in the evaporust.

The stuff isn’t magic and I usually scrub stuff pretty clean and remove any coatings or oil before I use it, and then fine wool (steel or bronze) after to get rid of the gray. Honestly I’d be tempted to put this piece in the big ultrasonic or the wet tumbler.

abunaitoo
06-21-2020, 11:01 PM
I did clean it before testing with brake clean.
Took it out and rinsed it off.
Put it in the pin tumbler with just water.
Over an hour later took it out.
Water was all black.
Rust all gone.
Put it in my home made drier for about 1/2 hour.
Surface rusted.
I'm going to straighten out the bent rings, fix the point, tumble again, and try to parkerize it.
That's why I didn't oil it.
Never tried parkerize before, so good chance to try it out, and learn something.

Bent Ramrod
06-22-2020, 10:01 AM
You need fresh Evaporust to finish the rust removal. That was a lot of rust on that chain (or whatever). When the liquid turns brown or black, it is “spent.”

I just finished out a pint of used Evaporust with a bunch of rusty bolts and Allen wrenches, diagnosed by the little bit of red rust remaining amidst the black coating. I always leave the rusty parts to soak overnight (at least). It doesn’t remove unoxidized metal, but it will remove paint and other coatings.

If you let the Evaporust dry, it will leave a protective (but sticky) coating on the metal. If you wash it off, you need to dry with a rag and spray on WD-40 to keep the rust from coming back.