PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the snow

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 11:28 PM
Well looks like they have issued a winter storm warning just south of here for tomorrow night up to 15 inches of snow in higher elevations. Guess id better go put some antifreeze in the car and drain the water hose

SciFiJim
06-16-2020, 09:23 PM
Sounds cold. I think I would rather have that than the string of 100+ degree days that we are about to have in Central California.

NyFirefighter357
06-16-2020, 11:56 PM
I'll take snow as well!

JoeG52
06-17-2020, 07:12 AM
I'll take snow over heat and humidity any day!

smithnframe
06-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Well looks like they have issued a winter storm warning just south of here for tomorrow night up to 15 inches of snow in higher elevations. Guess id better go put some antifreeze in the car and drain the water hose
Don't you use anti freeze/coolant year round?

BigAlofPa.
06-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Same here id rather snow than hot weather.

KCSO
06-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Not me I have never had to shovel heat!

MrWolf
06-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Love the heat hate the snow. We have rain for next bunch of days. Rain and damp hurts my back/neck big time. Stay warm.

Murphy
06-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Oklahoma can have some crazy weather. About the only thing one can bet on with any certainty, is from this here on out we're going to be hot and humid until mid September. In my little corner of Oklahoma, we begin to feel the heat and the misery starts at 85 degrees. Along about September (if we're lucky) it drops back below 85 degrees and we sure welcome it. Most folks seem to be geared one way or another. I'm one of the winter fans myself.

Murphy

Markopolo
06-17-2020, 10:16 AM
I'll take snow over heat and humidity any day!

you guys say that now... but come winter you will be wishing for spring again...lol

jimlj
06-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Got about 2" snow in SW Wyoming last night.

Scrounge
06-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Oklahoma can have some crazy weather. About the only thing one can bet on with any certainty, is from this here on out we're going to be hot and humid until mid September. In my little corner of Oklahoma, we begin to feel the heat and the misery starts at 85 degrees. Along about September (if we're lucky) it drops back below 85 degrees and we sure welcome it. Most folks seem to be geared one way or another. I'm one of the winter fans myself.

Murphy

I'm fond of moderate and dry heat. Don't get much of that here in Central Oklahoma, either, but when we do it's really nice. Grew up in SoCal, where we wore our heavy coats and parka and such when it got down to 64 degrees. :) Moved to Western Colorado at age 15, and our first winter there, it got down to 20 below zero, and stayed there for a while. By the time it got up to 43 degrees, we were working in t-shirts. Nice and comfy. Only time after that I've been truly uncomfortable in the heat was August of 90 to March of 91, when I was in Riyadh, KSA, for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. That was a little much there, especially in the August to December time frame. ;) Cold, OTH, bothers me a lot. I started showing signs of arthritis at age 17. I'm a firm believer that ice belongs in drinks, and snow on mountain tops and postcards. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Scrounge
06-17-2020, 11:17 AM
you guys say that now... but come winter you will be wishing for spring again...lol

I firmly believe that the reason the weather here in Oklahoma is so crazy is God's reaction to all the folks praying for heat in the winter, and cold in the summer. "Will you MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!"

white eagle
06-17-2020, 11:24 AM
easier to track in snow
hate heat and summer if we could skip that part of year would be fine with me

swheeler
06-17-2020, 11:30 AM
One thing about snow in mid June here is it won't last very long! With out the moisture it provides we will burn up in August and September, let it snow.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-17-2020, 11:44 AM
We had 1 inch back during the first week of this month. Woke up in the morning, and everything was white, but melted of by 9 a.m. It was odd, because we'd already had three days in the low 80s. The little snow was followed by a couple of weeks of chilly and mostly overcast weather with some rain every now and then. But, I see that it's supposed to hit 80 again this coming Sat. Winter is a little reluctant to let go this year. I don't mind as it keeps the forest fire danger down. Meanwhile, all the Aspen trees have leafed out, green grass in abundance, as are the deer that migrate in each year. Just observed a 4 point (that's 8 for you Easterners) out at the salt lick, antlers still in the velvet. Life is good..... :-D

redhawk0
06-17-2020, 12:31 PM
I prefer the snow to heat also.

The way I see it...you can always add an extra layer when it gets cold outside....but in the heat...you can only strip down so far before people point and laugh.

redhawk

Scrounge
06-17-2020, 12:43 PM
I prefer the snow to heat also.

The way I see it...you can always add an extra layer when it gets cold outside....but in the heat...you can only strip down so far before people point and laugh.

redhawk

Speak for yourself! If I strip down that far, I sunburn so bad it's pitiful! I wear long-sleeve shirts and long pants all year round. Cotton ain't perfect for wicking moisture away from your body, but it works fairly well if you wear light colors and thin fabrics. And a hat that covers the ears so they don't burn anyway. Speaks from many years experience here! ;)

gnostic
06-17-2020, 12:51 PM
I'm in the high country Colorado 6300 Ft elevation and it's seventy with clear skies. Please be careful what you say, I've seen it snow in the summer....

GOPHER SLAYER
06-17-2020, 01:35 PM
I would love it if it were 75-80 everyday. I had that during my three years in San Diego in the early 195o's while serving in the Navy. San Diego, Ca has the best climate in the world, problem is, the world knows it. Don't try to buy a house there.

country gent
06-17-2020, 01:57 PM
KCSO. Years ago I shoveled (and stacked) a lot of heat its called wood and coal. LOL

abunaitoo
06-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Snow?????
I've heard about it, but never seen it.
Sounds cold.
:bigsmyl2:

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 09:42 PM
Don't you use anti freeze/coolant year round?

Well it might sound strange but the rest of my water cooled vehicles have kerosene as coolant but this is a 72 beetle that got a 1.6d out of a rabbit stuffed in it and for unknown reasons it didnt like the kero so i just threw water in it until i could get some antifreeze. Was draining it on cold nights but put antifreeze in it yesterday since i dont plan on pulling the engine any more. got most of the kinks out now.

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 09:46 PM
As far as the heat vs cold I'll take the cold anything north of 65 and i start sweating. Ive been known to ride the gl1100 standard with just a small windshield no faring @ -20 was cold enuf to loosen headgaskets and cause coolant leak till the block temp caught up with head temp.

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 09:48 PM
51 now and comfy

alamogunr
06-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Strange weather here in West Tennessee. It gets down in the mid 60's at night and we need a blanket. Days it gets up to high 80's to low 90's. I much prefer warm weather, just not the hot weather we know is coming. I can do without the 100º plus though.

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 10:00 PM
Strange weather here in West Tennessee. It gets down in the mid 60's at night and we need a blanket. Days it gets up to high 80's to low 90's. I much prefer warm weather, just not the hot weather we know is coming. I can do without the 100º plus though.

I'm from Missouri between the hot weather and trailer trash i was going to go on a rampage so i left and havent looked back. I lack the necessary skills to deal with it but that part of the country has unparalleled beauty in the summer

gpidaho
06-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Central Idaho has had it's fair share of June snow this year. Gp

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 10:06 PM
Central Idaho has had it's fair share of June snow this year. Gp

Makes ya wonder what winter will be like

gpidaho
06-17-2020, 10:12 PM
Makes ya wonder what winter will be like

Mike: Summer in the mountains of central Idaho is a long weekend sort of thing. Goes by way too fast. Gp

Ozark mike
06-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Same here i guess kinda like watching the hummingbirds and robbins hate mowing the grass though

10x
06-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Heat is lovely.
I have a friend from South Africa. His comment, "In the Southern Cape you can go outside any time without a jacket. Sometimes you need a jacket but you will survive without one, here you go outside on a cold day (-35C) in January without a jacket and the cold simply kills you in hours"
We live 400 miles straight east of Ketchikan AK and 120 miles from mile zero of the Alaska highway.

white eagle
06-18-2020, 01:01 PM
mid to high 60° mark would be perfect
when it gets in the high 80° to 90° I get a headache instantly
that is because at work I suffered heat exhaustion and nearly bought it
within a eyelash severe tiredness,vomiting,slurred speech and no sweat
had to leave work and try and make it home 40 or so miles didn't make it
had to pull over and nearly fell into it,so I hate heat

Ozark mike
06-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Well i guess the snow will stayaway for a while now. Were supposed to get to 92 today so i think i may hibernate till winter

Ozark mike
08-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Here we go again. I guess sunday night we could see snow in the upper elevations so all ya in the mtns of montana cover your crops if ya have any left and take care of any hoses or what not that could freeze and bust

Hogtamer
08-28-2020, 08:36 PM
We'll Be getting some next month...

CastingFool
08-28-2020, 09:55 PM
I, too, enjoy the cold weather over summer heat, and always look forward to fall and winter

dragon813gt
08-28-2020, 10:06 PM
I prefer late spring and early fall. This is when humidity is around 50%, average highs are around 80° and night temps fall into the mid to low sixties. Humidity can be uncomfortable but it doesn’t kill you like lack of humidity(dehydration). I’ve shoveled enough snow in my life and my hands literally don’t like working in the cold anymore. The older I get the further south I want to move. If I didn’t have children I would move to a tropical climate or island somewhere.

waksupi
08-29-2020, 04:06 PM
It used to be here in NW Montana, you could depend on snow Labor Day weekend every year. Maybe we will have an old fashioned Montana winter this year. I remember on September 15 some years ago back in the Great Bear Wilderness, we were dragging stirrups in the snow!

Buy stock in U-Haul

Idaho45guy
08-29-2020, 07:24 PM

I hope this winter is a bad one. It drives the California immigrants back down South.

I lived in the Midwest for a few years. Worst of both worlds with hot and humid weather in the summer and bitter cold and snow in the winter. Plus, very little public land to hunt and mostly muddy and stinky rivers. I felt like I was being punished when I lived there. But the food was good.

Idaho45guy
08-29-2020, 07:26 PM
My folks bought a horse a couple of weeks ago and it was 95 degrees out and the horse was already getting it's winter coat. Their ranch hand said that's a sign that we're going to have a bad winter.

Ozark mike
08-29-2020, 07:27 PM
I hope this winter is a bad one. It drives the California immigrants back down South.

Ive been saying that for years but in reality i haven't ever seen a mass migration. We need an ice age for that i think

Idaho45guy
08-29-2020, 07:28 PM
It's been in the 30's a couple of nights this week. I'm actually bringing a jacket with me to work tonight.

Ozark mike
08-30-2020, 09:06 PM
It's been in the 30's a couple of nights this week. I'm actually bringing a jacket with me to work tonight.

Got down to about 30 last night expecting the same tonight. Cant wait for some good cold temps maybe these idiots in cold areas will go hide in there parents basement and i wont have to hear from em for a while

Ozark mike
09-07-2020, 05:31 PM
As of 1530 mtn time

Der Gebirgsjager
09-08-2020, 12:30 PM
It was 34 degrees here this morning and will be 91 degrees this afternoon. Usually I have to start the woodstove by the last week of Sept. Not sure how it will go this year. Lots of forest fire smoke yesterday afternoon. Thankfully not burning here, but blowing up from CA and down from WA.

Texas by God
09-08-2020, 01:28 PM
I have lived an hour south of Oklahoma for 61 years. I doubt the snowfall I've witnessed here in all that time would fill a dump truck. God gives us October thru March but usually lets Satan give us April thru September. I'm half German and half Scottish but if I keep my mouth closed I get mistaken for Mexican due to the darkness of my skin. My ideal temp range is 30 to 80. I love fresh snow mixed with vanilla extract and sugar but I'm tired of it on the ground within hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jdfoxinc
09-08-2020, 02:13 PM
91 F yesterday afternoon. Currently 36 F.

Ozark mike
09-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Got down to 21 last night

MUSTANG
09-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Ive been saying that for years but in reality i haven't ever seen a mass migration. We need an ice age for that i think

Want to see a "MASS MIGRATION"? Just watch traffic headed South on I-5, I-15, I-25, and I-95 in September and October; massive RV's carrying Snow Bunnies migrating will run you over.

Ozark mike
09-09-2020, 07:55 AM
0600 and 25 degrees havent seen much precip though