PDA

View Full Version : .475 WFN groups

44man
12-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I was playing today with my own design WFN from my first double cavity home made mould. I did not weigh the boolits or keep them separate. I used Felix lube, Fed 155 primers and 296. The boolits weigh around 411 grains. Shot from my BFR with the Accu Dot at 50 yd's.
It was cold out with a glaze of ice on the snow.
I once posted that I never had the best accuracy from any WFN, the WLN always doing better. But the WFN is consistant with changes in the charge.
I also can't see a round dot in the red dots with my old vision, I see a jagged starry thing that covers the center spot and a portion of the 9 ring so I can't shoot as tight a group with them.
Starting from the left the loads were 25 grs, 25.5, 26 and 26.5. The alloy was water dropped WW's with a small amount of tin added except for the 26 gr load which had tin and antimony added for hardness. (I ran out of the other boolits with just tin added.) Notice I put 4 shots with this load in one jagged hole! Should make a dandy deer load. I am going to make more and separate them by cavities and weight to see what they do.

Bass Ackward
12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I was playing today with my own design WFN from my first double cavity home made mould.

I once posted that I never had the best accuracy from any WFN, the WLN always doing better.

Must be .... rewarding to have even made the mold yourself. Nice work.

felix
12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Excellent job, 44man! ... felix

475/480
12-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Well done and good shooting, gotta love those 475's

Sean

nighthunter
12-22-2005, 07:34 PM
44man ... good work. Try turning the brightness down in your red dot. I've foung that a bright setting can be pretty fuzzy to aim with. A lower setting can be used and let you be more precise.
Nighthunter

doghawg
12-22-2005, 09:34 PM

Good bullet, good gun and apparently the shooter ain't too bad either. That 26 gr. load would be pushing what........about 1350 fps or so? After the Holidays I'll get down to some serious tinkering with my own BFR .475. Only 40 rounds through it so far.

44man
12-23-2005, 01:44 AM
If you look at the target on the left of my posts, you can see the groups I get with my WLN boolits and the Lee 400 gr at 50 yd's. I have never had the WFN shoot as good but I really like the meplat for deer. Should have potential though, putting 4 in almost one hole.
It was way too cold to use the chronograph so I don't really know how fast they are.
I had the red dot turned down so far I could not see the dot until it was on the target. I wish they would come up with some way to focus them.
By the way, I have tried a whole bunch of different makes and weights of the WFN boolits and mine were as good or better. I also tried a 350 Keith semi- wadcutter and do better with a slingshot.
I think the WLN boolits fit the forcing cone better. Either the WFN deforms or the balance is off, being shorter. All I find is shrapnel downrange. Never found a fired boolit yet out of over 1200 rounds. I never found a boolit after shooting through deer either after digging deep holes, must be in China! I'm going to set up about 20 gallon jugs of water to catch some.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Got To Be Proud Of That!!