PDA

View Full Version : Gun holder/scabbard for a farm tractor?

RickinTN
06-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Hello all,
I've found myself in a situation where I would like to have a gunrack/scabbard mounted to the roll bar on my farm tractor to have it handy while bushhogging and such. I think I'm probably not the first person to need something of this nature and would like to hear from others who have adapted a product for such use. Which product did you use? and how did you adapt it to attach to the rollbar?
Any help and direction is much appreciated,
Rick

cwtebay
06-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Hello all,
I've found myself in a situation where I would like to have a gunrack/scabbard mounted to the roll bar on my farm tractor to have it handy while bushhogging and such. I think I'm probably not the first person to need something of this nature and would like to hear from others who have adapted a product for such use. Which product did you use? and how did you adapt it to attach to the rollbar?
Any help and direction is much appreciated,
RickI have a plastic boot type scabbard on the fender of a little open cab tractor. I attached it with molly screws and U bolts. While mine is supposed to be waterproof, I found that not to be the case - so I drilled several small holes in the bottom for drainage. Currently it holds a stainless BLR with a laminate stock, no matter how snug you think the fit is - there will still be motion resulting in rub marks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
06-15-2020, 12:32 PM
I've seen them advertised to fit on those 4 wheel ATV buggies, and they seem to work well.
That'd probably do what ya want it to.

Not on a tractor, but I've seen them mounted to the prop. cage on swamp running air boats also.

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Id make some mounting brackets and do a leather style

RickinTN
06-15-2020, 03:08 PM
I'll need something that is somewhat weatherproof as the tractor is out in the weather most of the time. Maybe can adapt something designed for and atv/utv.
Thanks for all the responses so far,
Rick

Petrol & Powder
06-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Vibration, dust and water will be constant companions. I think vibration will be your worst enemy.

If speed of retrieval isn't critical, I would consider mounting a Pelican style case to the roll bar. The egg crate foam will protect against the vibration and the water proof gasket will keep the dust and water out.
You will not be able to access the rifle in a hurry, so if that's a need; look elsewhere.

dverna
06-15-2020, 05:12 PM
For my Kakasaki Mule, I am leaning towards a coach gun. One reason is that I can wrap it with stretch wrap up to the breach. Add a large plastic bag over the action and rear stock that can be pulled partially off to access the lever, trigger and safety, and put it in a scabbard for quick retrieval.

My tractor is cabbed and my CAS 18" coach gun will be fine in there. I have mounts made for UTV's that grip the gun.

country gent
06-15-2020, 09:02 PM
On the plastic scabbards make a couple form fitting mounts to bolt to roll bar and slide case in the rings when done slide case and gun out and bring in. A flat bar with hinges t each end bolted to roll bar and the half hinge bolted to case remove and fit a looser pin put case in drop pins in and reverse when removing

This last would be a simple piece of 1/2" X 1 1/2" by length required maybe a couple 90* bends to give some room behind it, a half hinge bolted or welded to flt bar. Bolt each remaining half hinges on the case where desired. A couple clip pins and you good this could set on the front roll bar support out of the way and very handy.