PDA

View Full Version : Picking up 9mm brass

Cosmic_Charlie
06-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Was at a gravel pit today agate hunting and shooting some steel and I found about 400 shiny once fired 9mm. Thinking I'll never be short on it. There was perhaps that many .223 but I don't reload that. When you shoot cast, 9mm once fired is worth picking up.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-14-2020, 06:27 PM
I would pick it put I would stop to pick up a penny too

Valley-Shooter
06-14-2020, 06:33 PM
If there are fifty or more 9mm, I'll pick them up, unless they are S & B.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2A-Jay
06-14-2020, 06:34 PM
I pick up a lot of brass I don't have guns for. Odds are I have a friend that reloads for what I don't. I have traded it for either brass I need or a couple packs of primers. Sometimes I just give it to someone who can use it.

frkelly74
06-14-2020, 06:48 PM
At the very worst , they get $1 a pound at the scrap yard. I pick up every one I see even the stepped on ones.

RKJ
06-14-2020, 06:56 PM
I can't walk by brass on the ground, I have to pick it up. I've got so much 9 mm, 45 auto, and 223 it will last me for years.

kmw1954
06-14-2020, 07:05 PM
I have all the brass I will ever need for myself and now that I am working at an outdoor range there are a few calibers that I will pick up just for a couple of friends I know. With the lever action pistol caliber rifles I am now seeing more revolver brass on the ground. Many of these shooters shoot and do not pick up so once fired brass is everywhere.

lightman
06-14-2020, 07:37 PM
At the very worst , they get $1 a pound at the scrap yard. I pick up every one I see even the stepped on ones.

Me too! I save it, sell it or give it away. The junk goes to the scrap yard.

Shiloh
06-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Have to be able to pick up a lot with each bend down to get it.

Shiloh

Biggin
06-14-2020, 09:07 PM
I'm a brass hound myself. If I go to a public range I'll spend more time picking up brass than shooting! Hard to believe the amount of shooters that just throw brass away! Goes against my hillbilly upbringing!

Pete44mag
06-14-2020, 09:19 PM
I always pick up brass. If I can't use it sooner or later i'll find someone who does. I have met several people who have become shooting friends by making them a present of brass I don't need and they can use.

Loudenboomer
06-14-2020, 09:58 PM
I picked up several hundred stopping buy the local range today. I liken it to picking berry's. I can afford to buy them too but I still like to pick them.

Jal5
06-15-2020, 08:27 AM
I have enough 9s to last the rest of my life but other calibers i will pick up. Good for trade or gifts.

dale2242
06-15-2020, 09:07 AM
i pick up all brass i find, bent or not.
Bent goes to scrap yard.
i have 5 gallon buckets of brass.

Cast_outlaw
06-15-2020, 09:18 AM
I don’t pick it up any more as I have 4 old cookie tins 1500 each and 3 big coffee tins 1300 each full of cleaned resized and deprimed once fired 9mm brass and about 1000 In circulation. My dad and another old shooter picked them up and did that. As there both telling lies on heavens range I ended up with the brass

BigAlofPa.
06-15-2020, 09:27 AM
I bought a caldwell brass retriever. Saves on the back. Sometimes you still need to pick up by hand.

Hawks Feather
06-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Years ago I had bought some pretty cheap rounds and thought that I would just shoot them and leave the brass. When I finished shooting I looked at the brass on the ground and couldn't leave it. I think I have a 'brass' problem.

John Boy
06-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Just goes to prove ... reloaders are in the minority.

bedbugbilly
06-15-2020, 10:51 AM
It's hard when you are a confirmed "brass scrounger" not to pick up spent rounds. I'll bend over and pick up one casing and slide it in my pocket even if I don't load or shoot the caliber - I just toss 'em in a box and eventually sort by caliber and if I know someone who does load it, give it to them.

However, as I have gotten older and it's harder to do the bending over, I find myself torn by whether to pick up or not. With 9mm spent brass beings so prolific, I have such a quantity of it that I will never use it all up. I will admit that if I find my spent rounds, I do make an attempt to collect it but I just don't feel so guilty anymore if I lose a few and can't find 'em - my loss will be someone else's gain.

Burnt Fingers
06-15-2020, 12:25 PM
I'm a total brass *****. I see gold nuggets on the ground and I have to pick them up.

I've got 10 gallons of 9mm brass that's cleaned and ready to load. I've got a 5 gallon bucket of mixed range brass I need to separate. There are around ~8700 pieces of brass in a 5 gallon bucket. Between what I have loaded and what's in that bucket of range brass I must have close to 25K of 9mm brass. It's a very rare range day when I don't come home with a few hundred extra 9mm brass. Even better are those days I find 10mm or 45 ACP brass. The 10mm is pretty scarce.

There's something in my genetic makeup that doesn't allow me to walk away from brass laying on the ground.

I use a nut wizard to pick it up. I also carry a broomstick with a metal hook on the end to get the stuff that's not easy to get with the nut wizard.

bangerjim
06-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Problem with 9mm brass is if you put several of them together........they reproduce! I have buckets of the stuff. But I still pick up any cal I find just lying there all lonely and forlorn.

banger

fcvan
06-17-2020, 12:49 AM
My wife picks up everything, sometimes taking an hour before shooting. Over the course of a year she picked up 15K just in 9mm, and yes I loaded it all. 5k for the wife, 5k for my brother, 5k for me. I really scored one day when I guy was shooting his M1A and not saving his brass, another time it was 30-06. I can't even tell you how much 45 ACP I have. I picked up so much 357 SIG I ended up getting a drop-in conversion for my G22. I think the only stuff I don't keep but trade away is 25 and 32 ACP. It is a serious character flaw, find it, cast for it, load it, stash it, and shoot it.

kevin c
06-17-2020, 02:52 AM
The back screams at me, but I've got the habit bad, despite desperate attempts to reign it in.

It used to be everything. Then it was just calibers for what I shot and proposed to shoot. Then it was just once fired, but even that was bad: I can truthfully say that I saved so much once fired .45 ACP for the 1911 I wanted that I sold PART of it and bought the gun, NIB, with the proceeds.

OK, the next intervention was to only get once fired 9mm in the brands that reload best with the cast boolit I use. I figured that should do it, but, wouldn't you know, the agencies that rent our ranges weekdays are required to police up their brass. Some take it when they're done, but others leave it in the buckets the range thoughtfully provides. All pre sorted, once fired, single headstamp, single lot 9mm brass in one bucket left for range officers to take for personal use.

Too many enablers! **sob** What's a poor soul to do?

tomme boy
06-17-2020, 03:04 AM
I'm on my 17th 5 gal bucket for the year. Sometimes I don't even shoot when I go to the range. Thing is right now, since everyone is getting stupid, all kinds of people are showing up to pick up brass. Also have a couple old ladies that pick it up, they make jewelry with it. I see them at the shows and the farmers market. I usually just throw the brass in their buckets when they show up. Well after I cherry pick the brass I want..

fredj338
06-19-2020, 12:22 PM
I pick up good brass all the time. I think its waste to leave it to the elements or scrap yard. Though 400rds of 9mm would last me two days worth of shooting max.

Burnt Fingers
06-19-2020, 07:50 PM
My buddy and I picked up over a gallon of brass at the club today. That's a lot of mainly 9mm brass.

44Blam
06-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Pick up that .223 brass - you can turn it into other things like 300bo, 7.62x25 tokarev, etc.

trapper9260
06-20-2020, 09:17 AM
I pick up all the brass I see on the ground no matter it is not what I use. I always can sell it and the bad just go in the junk bucket .
Same with shotgun hulls if looks ok I will pick it . Some that is rusted I will past on them like the aluminum cases .

nun2kute
06-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Hello, I'm Kuster, I'm a brassaholic.

I'd say i'm rite next to Burnt Fingers, LOL. And every time I see this topic I have to laugh at myself. when I first started reloading, I saved everything to reload of course. every now and then i'd find something odd or strange to me, so the idea to create my own little oddball brass showcase was born, thereby "justifying" the continuance of my growing obsession. somewhere along the line, I thought I could save a bunch on the side and then sell it to fund my growing reloading habit. but after saving boatloads and a little research, I discovered 9mm brass online for as little as 2.75 per 100. Pfffft ..... not worth picking up. but my obsession still see's MONEY laying all over the ground.

Two yaers ago I quit trying to sort, what's the use ? I got more brass than my whole family will ever use. Even with me swaging pistol bullets I see no shortage of brass, they can laugh and haul it to the scrap yard after I check out. but now I leave most everything but the hard to come by. And I giggle at myself every time I see this topic.

Digger
06-20-2020, 12:26 PM
My downfall is with all the brass i collect of the different calibers is ... I need a gun for that caliber that I do not have !

sureYnot
06-20-2020, 02:11 PM
My downfall is with all the brass i collect of the different calibers is ... I need a gun for that caliber that I do not have !Lol. Ended up with a couple new guns that way myself.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Scrounge
06-20-2020, 04:22 PM
The back screams at me, but I've got the habit bad, despite desperate attempts to reign it in.

It used to be everything. Then it was just calibers for what I shot and proposed to shoot. Then it was just once fired, but even that was bad: I can truthfully say that I saved so much once fired .45 ACP for the 1911 I wanted that I sold PART of it and bought the gun, NIB, with the proceeds.

OK, the next intervention was to only get once fired 9mm in the brands that reload best with the cast boolit I use. I figured that should do it, but, wouldn't you know, the agencies that rent our ranges weekdays are required to police up their brass. Some take it when they're done, but others leave it in the buckets the range thoughtfully provides. All pre sorted, once fired, single headstamp, single lot 9mm brass in one bucket left for range officers to take for personal use.

Too many enablers! **sob** What's a poor soul to do?

Send it to me. ;) I don't even have a 9mm, and really don't want one, but I bet I can trade it to my brother, who shoots a LOT of 9mm. Just do it! It's for your own good! :)

kmw1954
06-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Since I started working at the outdoor range I quite looking at brass. what is left is now swept up and dumped into the recycle barrel.

To night I finished early on the 300yd range so I went down to help close up the 25yd range which is also the pistol range. As I walked onto the range first thing I noticed was the range was in horrible condition from being at capacity all day. Then at the end of each bench is a 1gal. bucket like ice cream comes in. 16 of them were absolutely full. That was just from today!

kevin c
06-21-2020, 12:57 AM
Send it to me. ;) I don't even have a 9mm, and really don't want one, but I bet I can trade it to my brother, who shoots a LOT of 9mm. Just do it! It's for your own good! :)
Actually, I have given away thousands of once fired cases, in a variety of common auto pistol chamberings and sorted by headstamp, as prizes at charity pistol matches my club runs. Before you praise my generosity, you should know I'd run out of storage space, and still managed to hang on to my favorite calibers and headstamps in unreasonable quantities.

The problem is I still collect brass when I already have enough. It really is a compulsion. Shucks, I pick up spent .22 LR cases (and, no, I don't plan on making 223 jackets). At least I can turn the real junky brass in to the recycler in trade for lead.

Your brother has trouble getting 9mm brass, and you can swap with him for something you can use, Scrounge? PM me, I might just send you some. All it will cost you is a small donation to support the forum.

Burnt Fingers
06-21-2020, 11:04 AM
My downfall is with all the brass i collect of the different calibers is ... I need a gun for that caliber that I do not have !

I have a set of 45 Colt dies, a 45 Colt conversion kit for my Dillon 650, and around 250 pieces of 45 Colt brass I've picked up.

I've got molds...all I need is the gun. One of these days I'll find one.

Wag
06-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Lol. Ended up with a couple new guns that way myself.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Exactly why I have two .40 S&W caliber pistols. I had a ton of brass, then my neighbor gave me a set of carbide dies he isn't using any more so next step, of course, was to get the pistols. Now I just need a mold (or ten) and possibly some j-words, depending.......

I've always picked up everything on the line. Got 40 cases for 45-70 that I later gave to a member on another forum. That kind of thing. I keep it all.

--Wag--

waco
06-21-2020, 06:10 PM
I don't ever buy 9mm brass. So much to be found out in the woods and on the range.