PDA

View Full Version : AR and Cast

J Six
06-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Are cast boolits used in ARs successfully?

poppy42
06-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Yes:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson
06-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Seattle?

"black lives matter" ?

Are you the dude with the AR standing front of the barricade entrance to chaz? Given the current circumstances there I'll not discuss firearms, reloading or shooting with you.

BTW; All Lives Matter

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 06:12 PM
He maybe the feller barricaded in his house with nothin but a pile of coww in one hand and a toy rifle (well im not a big fan of m16s) in the other. Just a thought

Larry Gibson
06-14-2020, 06:55 PM
That could be but then if he believes what he put at the bottom of his post then he wouldn't need to be barricaded in his house in chaz. BTW; no "houses" in chaz…..just several city blocks of big buildings..... and given the fear of lead the left has of lead in Washington, particularly Seattle, they'd have a conniption if they knew he had a stash of COWWs.... of course he could be a "believer" and not live in caz and is barricaded in his house all worried about the police or right wing radicals ……..

Anyway, there's a dearth of information regarding his question already on this forum. One would think use of the search engine would answer the question. Perhaps he should explain himself and his interest a bit more?

bangerjim
06-14-2020, 06:56 PM
If you want to waste your time/nerves/patience handling those teeny little pills powder coating or lubing them, then trying to get GC's on them, and then trying to get them to stay in the brass long enough to load......then yes......have at it!

I quite casting for AR's 4 years ago. Too much trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just buy FMLJ's by the thousands in bulk. Much easier and a whole lot faster.

banger

DAFzipper
06-14-2020, 07:03 PM
If you want to waste your time/nerves/patience handling those teeny little pills powder coating or lubing them, then trying to get GC's on them, and then trying to get them to stay in the brass long enough to load......then yes......have at it!

I quite casting for AR's 4 years ago. Too much trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just buy FMLJ's by the thousands in bulk. Much easier and a whole lot faster.

bangerI agree completely. Went that route and had success. Now I shoot cast in 300 blackout AR. Best caliber for cast in a AR platform for plinking and fun at the range.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
06-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Black wives matter too.

roharmon
06-14-2020, 10:53 PM
Hooah

roharmon
06-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Fans of the 458 would disagree.

I agree completely. Went that route and had success. Now I shoot cast in 300 blackout AR. Best caliber for cast in a AR platform for plinking and fun at the range.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

dkf
06-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Most of the bullets I use for my ARs range from 320gr to 420gr. ARs don't come in just one caliber. Though I do cast for the little .22cal ones too, I never found those too difficult to deal with. They just won't stay standing up for pan lube or PC.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-14-2020, 11:19 PM
Are cast boolits used in ARs successfully?

223/556 ...the answer is yes.
the trick is finding a load that is accurate and will also cycle the action, that is a narrow window with the optimum powder, and non-existent with powders that are generally used with j-words.

sutherpride59
06-15-2020, 12:37 AM
If you want low power loads the answer is no, if you want reduced loads just for range fun the answer is yes. Agree with the others though a quick search will turn up a plethora of information on this subject. Just FYI though guys when I was stationed in Seattle I actually had a much easier time getting wheel weights than I do now that I’m back in Texas.

Dapaki
06-15-2020, 10:00 AM
My AR's in 350 Legend and 7.62x39 both run wonderfully with cast PC boolits, no issues at all! The .223 is still getting dialed in in my 24" full rifle length gas tube upper, it like slower gas and a lot of it.

Burnt Fingers
06-15-2020, 12:27 PM
Seattle?

"black lives matter" ?

Are you the dude with the AR standing front of the barricade entrance to chaz? Given the current circumstances there I'll not discuss firearms, reloading or shooting with you.

BTW; All Lives Matter

If black lives matter why the hell aren't they doing something in Chicago?

Larry Gibson
06-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't you be asking the OP?

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 01:52 PM
I Dont think he'll be comin back with the reception he received

Larry Gibson
06-15-2020, 10:46 PM
J six

Perhaps you don't "know" as much as you think. Many of us know the bible and have been successful at loading cast bullets in ARs, even 223/5.56 ones. Many of us are also quite familiar with the "current situation". The thing we understand and you, apparently, don't is that when someone differentiates by race FOR ANY REASON that is "racist". That concept of "racist" has been pounded into us by the PC, celebrate diversity crowd for many years now. In our Republic is why "all lives" should matter, not just black lives according to that narrative of the "democracy" mob. However, as we've seen, with mob rule (anarchy), we are only supposed to now believe that the only "black lives" that "matter" are those killed by police [whether justified or not]. Under the black lives matter/antifa movement the black police officers and black civilians killed don't matter. Neither do all the black lives killed by other blacks..... let alone the other races.

That's the nice thing about our Country as a Republic under the Constitution....we have the freedom to believe what we want. Obviously under the "democracy" of black lives matter movement, heavily influenced and supported by Antifa, we don't have that right. If you'd care for further discussion on the topic perhaps you should take it to "The Pit".

As to reloading cast bullets in ARs, particularly for fast twist 223/5.56 ARs, then consider as bangerjim said;

"If you want to waste your time/nerves/patience handling those teeny little pills powder coating or lubing them, then trying to get GC's on them, and then trying to get them to stay in the brass long enough to load......then yes......have at it!

I quite casting for AR's 4 years ago. Too much trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just buy FMLJ's by the thousands in bulk. Much easier and a whole lot faster."

Additionally, a "search" as already mentioned will give you years of posts on the topic including many from myself and others. That's another nice thing about the freedom of our Constitutional Republic….you have the right to "have at it" if you want.....

Note; if this post seems "out of context" it's because the OP has deleted his post this one is referring to.

M-Tecs
06-15-2020, 11:27 PM
O When someone tells me that "all lives matter", or "blue lives matter", I know they aren't familiar with either their bible or the current situation. I also know they're easily distracted and haven't run cast in ARs successfully.

Please inform us uneducated and unwashed what we apparently don't know IN YOUR MIND's EYE? You can start with why one life matters more than any other??????????? Specially why doesn't BLM do anything to help solve murders like Demetrius Griffin Jr????????????????????????????????????????????????

J six

Many of us are also quite familiar with the "current situation". The thing we understand and you, apparently, don't is that when someone differentiates by race FOR ANY REASON that is "racist". That concept of "racist" has been pounded into us by the PC celebrate diversity crown for many years now. This is why "all lives" should matter, not just black lives according to that narrative. However, as we've seen, with mob rule (anarchy), we are only supposed to now believe that the only "black lives" that "matter" are those killed by police [whether justified or not]. Under the black lives matter/antifa movement the black police officers and black civilians killed don't matter. Neither do all the black lives killed by other blacks.....

Larry. Very well stated and that is the true reality of the situation.

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 11:30 PM
I think your waisting your time he cant even figure out my signature so im outta here

Patrick L
06-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Larry, you came on a bit strong, quite a welcome for a new member. J Six, welcome!

Now, as to your very legitimate question, if you are talking .223/5.56, apparently some people have been successful running cast in them. I am not one. I too gave up after about 3 years. And I do successfully shoot cast in just about everything else I own. That includes .223 bolt guns, and M1 Garands and M1 carbines. So it's not just the semi auto thing, it's not the tiny boolit thing, I got both of those to work just fine. Separately!!

For me, I found I could load ammo that shot well but didn't cycle, or cycled fine and shot like a shotgun. I posted questions on this very forum, tried lots of very helpful suggestions, just no happiness on my end.

With NY State's idiotic SAFE Act, I decided I wasn't going to invest any money in the AR platform. But if I were serious about running cast, I think I would get me an upper in one of the various .30 calibers (.300 Blackout, 7.62x39, etc.) As it is the ARs just don't thrill me, I have lots of other toys I enjoy shooting more. So I pour my time and attention into them. But that's just me, no offense to those who enjoy them.

Best of luck, I hope you do have success. Who knows, maybe a retirement project for me will be to finally figure it out?

M-Tecs
06-15-2020, 11:50 PM
Oh, I'm here. When someone tells me that "all lives matter", or "blue lives matter", I know they aren't familiar with either their bible or the current situation. I also know they're easily distracted and haven't run cast in ARs successfully.

Generally speaking, it appears to me that J-bullets just may be the answer for an AR, even if you found the right mold, the right weight, the right powder and assembled everything together into the right load, you stand a good chance of ending up with a product that simply might not work as well for a self defense AR as a good solid J-word load.

Patrick L. It's really hard to welcome a new member with an attitude as he has stated above.

Apparently the OP is asking which cast bullet load is best to shoot people with. Not a discussion I want to get into with something that believes black lives are more important than other races.

That is a call for #1's to make.

44Blam
06-15-2020, 11:55 PM
Hey fellas, OP is a troll. Probably should just ignore it.

RoyEllis
06-16-2020, 12:50 AM
Hey fellas, OP is a troll. Probably should just ignore it.

Yep, but I'm still trying to figger how they can write an internet post with a spray can.......

M-Tecs
06-16-2020, 01:23 AM
I think your waisting your time he cant even figure out my signature so im outta here

Never had a shot at a wolf but have have smoked more than one pack of yotes in a day. Caught 7 taking a whitetail buck right after we had 26" of fluffy snow. Got 5 straight out and killed the remaining two via sled. That was in the 70's and still common to use sleds in that manor. Went 3 for 3 a couple of times on called yotes with the AR.

Wolfdog91
06-16-2020, 01:35 AM
Jeez can't seem to get away from folktalking about BLM and having to say all lives matter

Wolfdog91
06-16-2020, 01:38 AM
Anyhow somthing I noticed is it seems people who started casting for the AR Platform seem to find it easier to get stuff going than those who started on bolt actions or pistols. Which I guess makes sense ,old habits and all.

Ozark mike
06-16-2020, 01:44 AM
Never had a shot at a wolf but have have smoked more than one pack of yotes in a day. Caught 7 taking a whitetail buck right after we had 26" of fluffy snow. Got 5 straight out and killed the remaining two via sled. That was in the 70's and still common to use sleds in that manor. Went 3 for 3 a couple of times on called yotes with the AR.

Any time a wolf shows its hide around here its toast they they have decimated the deer and elk kill dogs on your front porch butcher livestock they kill just to kill and will leave good meat to the buzzards.
There about the only animal i deem worthless. Lead is all they will get from me.
When i was growing up in Missouri you would drive by farms that had yotes hanging in the trees its a shame wolves are protected by govt morons or they would get the same treatment got to make sure noone sees the slaughter

Wolfdog91
06-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Northern guys still haven't adopted the three S's I see lol. You around Montana ? Lots of guys are chomping at the bit to be able to lay steel on a wolf

toallmy
06-16-2020, 08:20 AM
I noticed our new member has removed the comments he posted in his thread .

sureYnot
06-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Anyhow somthing I noticed is it seems people who started casting for the AR Platform seem to find it easier to get stuff going than those who started on bolt actions or pistols. Which I guess makes sense ,old habits and all.Indeed. My first casting was for the AR-15. Asked for some advice here and got the standard mix of "try this" and "give up". Next was 9mm. Almost wasn't even fun. All my other guns were a piece of cake. If I'd started with my .45, I probably would have given up on the AR-15.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
06-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Anyhow somthing I noticed is it seems people who started casting for the AR Platform seem to find it easier to get stuff going than those who started on bolt actions or pistols. Which I guess makes sense ,old habits and all.

What habits would be detrimental? It doesn’t matter what you started w/ since the same principles apply. Only real difference is gas volume to operate the action. Most people don’t want to take the time or are attempting it w/ a fast twist barrel. And I don’t blame them for bailing w/ the price of FMJs being what they are.

I’m one of the sadists that casts 22 cal bullets, makes my own gas checks for them and then has to lube and assemble. I agree w/ bangerjim, it’s not worth it. Out of six ARs I have one slow(er) twist barrel that I can make work. But the time spent figuring it out would have been better spent on other things. I have an upper is 357AR that I’m trying to get sorted. This is a better cartridge for cast in an AR.

Patrick L
06-16-2020, 12:41 PM
Dragon813gt,

I do have a 1:9 twist barrel on my AR. My Howa bolt gun has (I think) a 1:12. That might account for the difficulty I had with the AR, and the relative easy success with the bolt gun. Very interesting. I wonder if a slower twist bbl. would make a difference?

But, like I said, In NYS I don't want to spend a dime on my AR.

Larry Gibson
06-16-2020, 02:27 PM
I've had excellent success with cast bullets in 12" twist ARs giving functional reliability and 2 moa accuracy (10 shots) out to 200 yards. Excellent accuracy is also excellent in my 12" twist (M70 and M700) bolt guns. In a 14" twist M788 the success was even better and gave moa +/- accuracy out to 200 yards.

I seldom use cast bullets in the 223/5.56, especially ARs with faster twists, because it is a PITA. Now with my bolt action 22 Hornet with 14" twist barrel it's another story.

dragon813gt
06-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Dragon813gt,

I do have a 1:9 twist barrel on my AR.

I have one barrel in 1:9 that I can make work. The results are “okay” for a man sized target. The others are all 1:7 and a waste of time. If I was going to build one strictly for cast I would use a slower twist like Larry has mentioned. I’d rather pay for SMKs and call it done when it comes to the ARs.

J Six
06-16-2020, 05:36 PM
I noticed our new member has removed the comments he posted in his thread .

Nope. Not me.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-16-2020, 09:11 PM
I hear the CHAZ communal farm isn't doing so well. They are going to need boolits if they want to eat.

Antifa hipsters don't understand the "tragedy of the commons". That's why their paradise always crumbles and they resort to brutal violence.

These new posters with a political ax to grind should probably be reported to the FBI.

sigep1764
06-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Ive only had 1/7 twist AR's and have had pretty good luck with an MP mold in them loaded with W748. They're not going warp speed but they are easy to load on the Dillon and its a 6 cavity mold so it makes a ton at a time. I don't see the big deal.

sureYnot
06-16-2020, 09:47 PM
Ive only had 1/7 twist AR's and have had pretty good luck with an MP mold in them loaded with W748. They're not going warp speed but they are easy to load on the Dillon and its a 6 cavity mold so it makes a ton at a time. I don't see the big deal.Mine's a 1:7. Get about 2000 fps out of it with minute of squirrel head.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk