PDA

View Full Version : Flogging a dead horse(I never would,I love horses alive,and respect dead ones.totally

shootrj2003
06-14-2020, 12:27 PM
However,the representation is Marlin rifling profiles,I have heard and read many posts stating various knowledge and apparently ACCEPTED beliefs about these two types of rifling,but never have I seen mechanical drawings with dimensions side by side for comparison,one older thread had two posters one said Ballard rifling had deeper lands another said microgroove was higher(?!) No one questioned or corrected either ,so maybe both were right?
I have my own ideas and abilitys far below those of mortal men but have never seen mech. drawings to compare and if someone could share these here I would,along with others of my I'll ,enjoy this .
I am presently delving into the casting world again using my Marlin 336 and my 1895, both microgroove,and my 1893 which I assume might be the original Ballard rifling but they never said so then unless I did not hear them.
These drawings would be good even if they are not factory original,just true representations,thank you.
I am presently shooting Lee .460 día. .405 gr.HBFP over 40 gr.IMR 3031 when I get to the range and trying .311 150 gr. GCHP
30/30 over .22 gr. H 4895 ,in my 336 for the first time for 30/30 cast.,for those interested this load reduction was double and triple checked through Hodgden tech support, and is only recommended and approved with H 4895 -specifically -ImR 4895- has not been tested or approved for this load and any such load is NOT approved-Hodgden tech support.

waksupi
06-14-2020, 01:32 PM
It will depend on groove depth. They need filled +.002 for microgroove. Your .460 may be too small.

Tatume
06-14-2020, 01:38 PM
See if this doesn't fill the bill.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm

Texas by God
06-14-2020, 02:37 PM
I have seen the drawings you seek; remembering where is the problem.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

andrew375
06-14-2020, 02:59 PM
The problem with cast bullets and micro groove rifling is that all the Marlins I have slugged are over size. My 1895 was .4595" and that of a friend was .4592". Unsurprisingly neither would shoot bullets sized at the nominal .458" with any degree of accuracy. In my case I made a mould that cast out at .461" and accuracy went to 2 moa as a result, my friend just took my advice and used bullets as cast.

With .357 and .44 Marlins groove diameters are routinely at least .0015" over nominal. Trying to get these rifles to shoot well with commercially cast bullets is usually disappointing as the bullets are sized to the accepted nominal diameter, .429" for .44 magnum for instance. I've witnessed several of these rifles though transformed into real tack drivers simply by loading unsized bullets.

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 03:27 PM
I cast mine @ .461 and it does fine for a remlin.
460-502p coww

shootrj2003
06-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info,info is always worth something,I appreciate it,but like my friend from Texas ,I was looking just for the drawings and much like him ,I have seen them and misplaced the file telling me where I saw them!I am an honorary citizen of that great state but misplace that file also!much rather be there than in the Cuomo Empire,but sometimes we don't get what we want .(right away).