PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Al's Excellent Desert Adventure, Part 2. Photo's

Buckshot
12-22-2005, 04:05 AM
http://www.fototime.com/F27188E1E47685C/standard.jpg
These were the guys we assembled fo rthe trip. Left is Deputy Al, then El Pistolero, and Glen on the right. This photo is looking north. The mountain behind Al's head is a couple miles north of the 1-10 freeway. I'd guess were were 8-10 miles away from the freeway.

http://www.fototime.com/E7BB90F9776433D/standard.jpg
Al had excercised the Mini-14 and El Pistolero is helping to police brass. This photo is looking south. The area we're in was General Pattons Desert Warfare Training facility, opened in March 1942. In total it was about 250 miles by 350 miles in size.

http://www.fototime.com/9E2D60B2D4E2F88/standard.jpg
This was looking due west, and the direction we did most the shooting in. About 40 miles further west is Palm Springs. If you look real close in the brush in the middle distance, that straight line is tracks of the now abandoned Kaiser Steel's Eagle Mountain Railroad.

The tracks we figured were about 100 yards off, and beyond that another 75 yards or so and a couple feet above the tracks was a roundish pumpkin sized rock. This soon drew our attention as a target. Deputy Al and his Mini had no problem blasting it repeatedly in rapid succession. El Pistolero used a scoped Mauser sporter in 270 Win to rain some further destruction on it.

Glen asked me if I'd spot him and his M94 Marlin 44 mag on it. He unleashed a couple rounds and I could detect no dirt flying anyplace. At his 3rd shot I still didn't see anything but thought I heard something. I had him fire again watching lower and sure enough, the sound was him hitting the railroad iron. I said, "You're about 2.5 ft low, but good windage". He raised his rear sight a bit and held a little higher in the buckhorn and solidly connected with it from there on out.

http://www.fototime.com/118258F5783A453/standard.jpg
Our trusty steeds. El Pistolero's red '87 Jeep and Deputy Al's (I mean MARIE'S '01 Jeep). When we left, El Pistolero just couldn't help himself. There was a dry wash about 30 feet to our right and maybe 5' below roadgrade. He made a turn to the right and eased off into the dry wash and then took off at high port after Deputy Al and Glen, who were up on the road.

So he got to get a bit sideways, and I think he may have missed one or 2 of the larger cuts that previous rains had made, but he did a good job hitting all the medium sized ones as we raced along. I thought we were going to smack the side of a cutbank for sure one time, but timely (panicy?) application of more gas swung the rear end over to miss. We DID hit a mesquite bush a pretty good wallop, and I was afraid for his radio antenna but it made it through okay.

http://www.fototime.com/88A4A63D1949821/standard.jpg
This photo is to the north-west and later in the afternoon. As the sun is low in the sky this time of the year, as it moved it would move previously lit rocks into shade and shaded ones into the light. On the side facing us on this small hill it lit a bright white rock, or something (the red line is pointing to it and you can just see it).

I had some Wolf brand 7.62x54R for a M91/30 I'd brought so I guestimated and set the rear sight for 600 yards, leaned across the hood of Al's jeep, held 6 and squeezed one off. I was rewarded with the sound of a solid hit, and some dust flying. The rifles report echoed and re-echoed amongest the hills, and I fired a second for the same thing. I asked El Pistolero to spot me through his rifle scope and the 3rd, 4th and 5th shoots were called as hits.

On the peak behind it was a patch of sunlight, probably about as big as a car but via the Mk1 Mod1 Eyeball it looked small. I guestimated again and set the rear sight for 1200 yards and let fly. You could just see a tiny puff of dust jet up to be illuminated by the sun. Great fun! An the sound of the report eching around and then fading away was cool.

We had great weather for the day. When we arrived there was a lite breeze but the sunshine was nice and warm. As the day progressed it got warmish, but as the sun dropped it cooled quickly. At lunch, as the pop cans got opened we had a goodly number of bees show up who wanted to share :D. Glen had a few go in his Pepsi can so he had to set it down about 20 ft away. We hoped they'd stay over there. He'd no sooner opened a 2nd can and a bee fell in[smilie=l:.

He managed to coax the bee out. Pretty soon we had a bunch of empty pop cans in a pile and a goodly bunch of bees were going to town. They didn't otherwise bother us and later in the afternoon they all disappeared. We had a good time shooting 22's and 38's at some steel swingers. Glen found an old piece of steel channel and shot a bunch of 357 mag at it. He found lots of jackets on this side of the steel. Guess in going through the jackets got stripped off.

I'd taken along the golfball cannon and we shot it off a dozen times or so. A 150gr charge will send 2 balls away so fast you can hardly see'em go. Shot the P58 Enfield at some rocks an estimated 200 yards distant. Was rewarded with some good solid smacks and a few dirt clouds raised by close misses. Deputy Al was standing to one side, and he said he was watching the vapor trail of the Minie' in it's flight.

I think we all had a pretty darn good time. Got done shooting, had a beer and hit the trail home.

..................Buckshot

StanDahl
12-23-2005, 03:23 AM
Dang that looks like fun! Way more fun than the time I did that out by Landers on a day that ended up being 115°. I'd be able to do that again if the 3 knucklehead shooting buddies I used to have hadn't gotten married and/or overly involved in home breeding projects. I gave up hope and started to throw out the milk jug collection I've been keeping for long range ballistic experimentations. Can't give up hope completely though. Someday...

9.3X62AL
12-23-2005, 04:45 AM
That was a real fun day, for sure. Lots of long range possibilities, and the steel targets took up the slack with the handguns. Weather was a LOT nicer than on the previous two trips out that way.

The roadway we drove on is part of the old Bradshaw Trail over which emigrants traveled after the Gadsden Purchase secured southern AZ and NM from our not-so-peaceful at the time neighbor to the south. The Bradshaw is driveable with a few 4WD interludes from the Salton Sea (North Shore) to the Colorado River, if you are so inclined. A nice trip in December-March, not quite so pleasant in August. The railroad was built following the the Bradshaw's grade to some extent, as had the tank route from the Southern Pacific RR off-load point into the Desert Training Area. There are still a lot of tank parts and old laagers to be found all over the desert area.

This area had been part of my patrol sector during the first posting of my career. On graveyard shift, I would drive out Box Canyon Road from Mecca (old U.S. 60) after 3 A.M. and look for people stuck in sand--stealing copper cable from the transmission line service sites--and look for air smuggler drop zones out here. Once out at the freeway's junction, I ran through the two rest areas at Cactus City basically "showing the flag" to the hookers that serviced and occasionally mugged the truckers they called in on their CB radios. The working girls weren't real happy with me--I'd get on the patrol car's PA system and say things like "A tisket, a tasket--a condom or a casket", or "These girls neck the wrecks and steal your checks". Fine times, all around. After such adventures, I'd head for Chiriaco Summit and get a cold drink or breakfast. By that time, it was sunup--and time to head for the barn.

Lots less crime out there these days--air smuggling is a real low-profit low percentage way to deliver the goods these days, and the cable theft client pool largely drained off after Eagle Mountain (the Kaiser Steel iron ore mine and town) closed up in the late 1980's.

StanDahl
12-24-2005, 03:26 AM
I've spent some time cruising those side roads late at night looking to see what might be soaking up some heat on the asphalt. Some reptile-enthusiast friends of mine and I would take pictures or even take specimens home on occasion. A teacher friend has had a rosy boa from Box Canyon in his classroom for about 20 years. Lots of that habitat is turning into houses now.

One night we saw a black bear cub somewhere around White Rock? Dylan road? Can't remember exactly, but no one would get out of the car until we were way away from there. There was a spot on Dylan road that served as a shooting range.

A guy we knew wouldn't always obey the game laws and once met a game warden lurking around a bend. There's got to be something about a crappy old car going about 5 mph with about 27 lights on top that must make authorities wonder whats going on there. You have to have a fishing license to collect reptiles, and obey the bag limit, and above all, don't draw attention to yourself, I guess.

Singletree
12-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks folks for sharing the pictures and the renditions of your outing. I find the history and the past activities of the area interesting reading. It brings forth a desire to have joined in your shooting excursion. However, a smaller group of friends is often beneficial to a good outing. Thank you again for sharing and please do so often.

waksupi
12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
It sounds like you guys had a great day. And that desert country is beautiful.

NVcurmudgeon
12-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Blessed are they who have access to a desert with its beauty, freedom, and plinking with limitless ranges and possibilities. Your adventure sounds like and looks like some I've been privileged to enjoy with Nevada Duke and other friends.

GLL
12-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Nothing beats a warm, clear winter's day in the desert area of eastern California or Nevada. I have spent the last 45 years prowling this beautiful area under the disguise of doing Geology ! You can walk around for days or even weeks in some places and not see a single person.

Sitting around a desert campfire at night is one of life's great pleasures ! :)

Jerry

Bass Ackward
12-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Nothing beats a warm, clear winter's day in the desert area of eastern California or Nevada.

You can walk around for days or even weeks in some places and not see a single person.

Jerry

Jerry,

I .... don't know if I can agree with that statement.

My only experience with eastern California was a paid vacation just east of Barstow. Yep A real garden spot. I got there by flying nap of the earth through the Rockies. I was so sick that when the red light went on I kept pushin the stick till I got out. Landed in "beautiful" cactus and was drug for about 15 feet before I could release the chute.

Walked all over that #*@& place for two weeks and swore I would never go back. Sweat during the day and shake like a dog crappin razor blades at night. :grin:

But you are right on that second statement, never saw another living thing cept the guys I was with. I believe the tour guide called it Death Valley.

GLL
12-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Bass Ackward:

The key to enjoying the deserts of California and Nevada is to carefully choose the "guys" you take along as shooting partners ! :) :)

My partner took along her S&W 625 .45Colt for plinking with Lyman 454424 HP's from a mould that Buckshot modified for her. She killed a lot of one gallon water jugs (explosively I might add) !

Love the desert ! ;)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/EE91620C9B05F2C/standard.jpg

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Eastern folks unaccustomed to desert areas are often surprised at the rapid and deep temperature plunges at night, especially in wintertime. Some of the daytime temps aren't real warm in December and January, either. Some of the higher elevation areas at the northeastern edge of the Mojave--New York and Ivanpah Mountains, for example--have climate and topography like southern Utah, complete with snow and ice.

Marie and I are headed that way in a few hours, to take a break from the Daughter Drama that has been under way for the past couple weeks. No huge issues, just the usual Shakespearean Weird Sister byplay, minus cauldron and Cockney accents. The garage answers as a bolt hole for much of this nonsense, but sometimes a road trip is the ONLY reasonable resolution--and Marie wants to bail, too.

Bass Ackward
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=GLL]My partner took along her S&W 625 .45Colt for plinking with Lyman 454424 HP's from a mould that Buckshot modified for her. [Quote]

Jerry,

I see said the blind man.

And isn't that Buckshot just one hell of a guy for helping her out?

"For me" .... no matter where in the world it was, desert terrain was the most difficult to adapt to of all environments. 135 degrees during the day would cool to 90 at night. And at 90 you would still find me shivering in a sleeping bag that was good to zero degrees back here with no problems.

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Nice mineshaft in the background, too :-)

Without her photo, I knew she had tons of class by the caliber and platform she chose.

Trip is a "go" tomorrow morning. And a move outside commuting distance from The Amazon Horde wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

onceabull
12-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Deputy Al: Maybe get toward Bishop and look for some chukars ??? Onceabull

GLL
12-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Onceabull:

The photo of my shooting partner was taken a couple weeks ago just south of Bishop
at the base of the White-Inyo Mountains. All of the mountains were covered in snow and the nightime temps were in the high twenties. Daytime was very nice sunny 60's !

For those not familiar with the desert southwest, Deputy Al's comments about the mountains are important. Many of the peaks are over 10,000' elevation and have snow all winter. These higher elevations are covered with spectacular forests.

Jerry

Scrounger
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
No doubt about, GLL is light years ahead of Al in choosing shooting partners....

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Well, of the folks shown on this thread so far--I would agree, Scrounger. Marie is right classy her own self, too. :-) Her tastes are above reproach, for sure--which hardly explains my presence in her life, but I'm glad she has occasional lapses of judgement. But let me take in a stray SIG-Sauer or that Colt OMT, and she is on it like white on rice. Her comments on the Nagant revolver were pretty succinct, too--"Good thing it didn't cost much."

Onceabull--you just might be right in that regard.

GLL--I almost guessed right, the Whites along the east Owens Valley.

waksupi
12-27-2005, 09:10 PM
What mineshaft?

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Dark area in upper left corner--with what appears to be a played-out roadbed curling in its general direction. Maybe it's The Graphite Outcropping From Hell.

Scrounger
12-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, of the folks shown on this thread so far--I would agree, Scrounger. Marie is right classy her own self, too. :-) Her tastes are above reproach, for sure--which hardly explains my presence in her life, but I'm glad she has occasional lapses of judgement. But let me take in a stray SIG-Sauer or that Colt OMT, and she is on it like white on rice. Her comments on the Nagant revolver were pretty succinct, too--"Good thing it didn't cost much."

Onceabull--you just might be right in that regard.

GLL--I almost guessed right, the Whites along the east Owens Valley.

I was referring to Buckshot on your outing...or was that Toby? They look so much alike I get them mixed up...

waksupi
12-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Dark area in upper left corner--with what appears to be a played-out roadbed curling in its general direction. Maybe it's The Graphite Outcropping From Hell.

Nope, still can't see it, Al. Just a good lookin' woman with a pistol in that picture.

Buckshot
12-28-2005, 02:17 AM
"...............My partner took along her S&W 625 .45Colt for plinking with Lyman 454424 HP's from a mould that Buckshot modified for her. She killed a lot of one gallon water jugs (explosively I might add) !"

If I had known which one was for her I'd have done it for free, and not just because she's cute. If she enjoys shooting then that's enough :D

I had a high altitude adventure sneak up on me about 6 years ago. Me and 2 buddies (Steve and Ray) were going to go on a little 3 day 2 night camping trip up in the San Gorgonio wilderness. Ray swung by to pick up me and Toby. It was a bit over 100* down in the valley in late June. I packed a couple pair of skivvies, socks and a T shirt and a flannel shirt for the expected brisk evenings at 9,000 ft.

We picked up Steve and his horse in Big Bear, then back tracked down to the wilderness entry spot and unloaded. While doing so it began to get a bit overcast and was decidedly cooling off. About an hour up the trail it had cooled to the point that it began raining and then it began to hail like a sonuvagun. Naturally no raingear and just a flannel shirt!

The hail was really stinging it was pelting down so hard. Poor ole Toby, his ears were taking a beating. Everytime the trail would go under a tree and he had some relief he'd stop, and it was hell to get him to go, so we kinda ran from tree to tree :). We crossed over 10,000 Foot Ridge and dropped down to Mineshaft Flats where it was only raining again.

We were all soaked. Everything we'd brought was soaked. I couldn't keep a cigarette going. I was pretty pissed off and wasn't being very positive about our chances at surviving:violin: I could just visualize the headlines now come August: "Hiker finds 3 idiots frozen in glacier wearing only T shirts."

It quit raining before too long. We built a big fire which is a no-no in the Wilderness and got our bags mostley dried out. The next 2 days were beautiful.

...............Buckshot

Scrounger
12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Dammit, Buckshot, you got to get a webpage or at least a blog. You are an accomplished writer. You have interesting experiences and you have the uncommon ability to relate them to others in a very entertaining fashion. I would certainly be a frequent visitor to your page, as I'm sure most of the others here would be. Do it.

GLL
12-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Deputy Al / Scrounger/ Buckshot:

Here is the morning view from our campsite in the Alabama Hills. This was taken a few weeks ago before the snow really hit the Sierras.

For those of you not familiar with the area this region is readily accessible and a little too popular certain times of year. As you travel into eastern and southeastern California humans are rather rare.

Buckshot:

I agree with Scrounger, you should write a book ! Keep an eye out in the mail. There are some pictures headed your way.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/8F9D86C552CB102/standard.jpg

Buckshot
12-30-2005, 03:19 AM
"...............For those of you not familiar with the area this region is readily accessible and a little too popular certain times of year"

If you're talking about the John Muir or portions of the Pacific Crest system you've obviously 'Been there, Done that". I once bent over to re-tie my boot laces and got run over by 2 Boy Scout troops, a group portaging a couple canoes, 3 Sierra Club goon squads, and a bunch of marijuana farmers plus the cops chasing them.

When I got older, all I wanted to see when I looked down was:

http://www.fototime.com/C4287F5F0A4D899/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Gosh Buckeroo, those are biggest winged ear front sight protectors I've ever seen. What model are they on? Is it and Enfield of some sorts? I see the front blade is shorted for more elevation.

Joe

GLL
12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
"..............

When I got older, all I wanted to see when I looked down was:

http://www.fototime.com/C4287F5F0A4D899/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

Buckshot:

Then you are going to enjoy the photos I am sending ! :) :)

Jerry

Bass Ackward
12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Yep. I had to look twice myself. Looking through those ears, I was looking for the front sight. Thought they were a buckhorn rear.

Buckshot
12-31-2005, 06:03 AM
.............Those ears are great radar dishes and situation indicators. Kinda like an Owl's head, they can crank them around independantly at some pretty acute angles to gather intelligence. Very interesting to watch sometimes. If you're just schlepping along and the ears are flopping back and forth you have no worries. You're safe as houses even if the head is up a little. Have another swig of Southern Comfort and resume your nap.

On the other end of the scale, if the head comes up with both ears at quivering attention, and one or the other makes these lightening fast sweeps front to back every couple seconds, you'd better take a deep seat and a distant look because something just might happen with explosive rapidity :-). Best thing to do is shift your weight back and forth a bit or jiggle the reins. If both ears come back to check you out, you can secure from condition zebra :bigsmyl2:

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm confused......izzat picture of the view Buckshot prefers, or of Buckshot looking in the preferred direction. Help me out here.

We returned from another desert sojourn late last night, ahead of the weather that is supposed to arrive today. One day spent looking at waterfowl (minus the 12 gauge) at the Salton Sea, the other two running around line roads and mining routes in search of quail and chukar between Goffs and Ivanpah. Not a lot out there, so we repaired off for an afternoon in Laughlin.

GLL
12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Deputy Al:

Did you make it into the New York Mountains on this trip ?

If so what are the current "road" conditions between Ivanpah and Barnwell as you go through the mountains ?

Nice country if you want to get away from the rat race of Los Angeles !

There will be a million or so people just outside my Pasadena office on Monday for the parade. It is suppose to rain like crazy on them ! :) :)

Jerry

StarMetal
12-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Buckshot said: they can crank them around independantly at some pretty acute angles to gather intelligence. Gee Rick, guess they never point in your direction then. HEY hey, I couldn't help it, just kidding you pardner....I just had to do it.

Yes you're very right about those dual radar screens. I love watching my German Shepherd's ears, very telling of what's going on in the surrounding area.

Rick, very apparent you love Toby...and that's just great.

Joe

wills
12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
lets see if this works

Scrounger
12-31-2005, 03:46 PM
That's great, Wills; now let's see a picture of your sheep...

wills
12-31-2005, 04:28 PM
You have your Texans confused; you are thinking about Carpetman.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2005, 07:40 PM
GLL--

Didn't get that far north on Ivanpah Road from Goffs--only went as far as "the phone booth" that used to be there for ranchers to use at Cedar Canyon Road. I may head out that way this coming week, I'll let you know one way or the other.

Buckshot
01-01-2006, 01:14 AM
................Wills, very cute. Raised up right they're pretty great pets if you're set up for'em. They may not be too big but the little scudders are tougher then wang leather and sharp as a tack.

....................Buckshot

wills
01-01-2006, 02:08 PM
We’ve only had her a couple of weeks. When she was delivered SWMBO called me on the cell and was telling me

“…and when we can catch her we need to have the vet come and give her her shots.”…“She doesn’t like the stock shed or the water trough because she has never seen one before.”

Didn’t sound like the tame baby donkey I was expecting, but she’s calmed down a lot, though not yet to the point I can pick up her feet.

waksupi
01-01-2006, 03:47 PM
That reminds me of an incident, back when I was still shoeing horses. My partner and I had a string of fifteen to shoe at a ranch, and the owner had asked us to bring the blue halter from the mule into the main ranch house when we were done.
It didn't take much looking at the mule, to know it had no intention on being caught, and had about 10,000 acres to see we didn't do it. So, we caught up all the horses in the corral, and tied them. Then, we left the gate open just enough, that it would make the mule curious, thinking he wasn't supposed to be in there, and work it's way inside. Sure enough, before we had two horses shod, the mule was in the corral. I slipped around the outside, and got the gate closed.
The mule began travelling at warp speed around the corral, causing no little disturbance among the horses.
No Problem. We got out our lariats, and standing back to back at the stubbing post, we started throwing loops towards him. My buddy finally forefooted it, and there was a massive mule wreck, as he got a couple wraps on the post. I jumped on it's head, and got the halter, and rope off it, and turned him loose again.
When we finished with the horses, we went back to the main house to get paid. My buddy laid the halter on the guy's table, and he got kind of a sick look in his face. He was playing a joke on us, and figured we'd never be able to catch the mule, let alone get the halter off of him. He said he would probably never be able to catch that mule out on the range again.
So, be careful what you ask for, you may get it!

TCLouis
01-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I hope mine does not show through too much as I comment.
Pretty country, yeah the view over mule/horse head beats the view from the office any day.

I really miss being somewhere where one can shoot 500 or a thousand yards and check accuracy/bullet impact by puff of dirt.

Ok, GLL where does the road go that I see leading up the sideof the mountain in the background ( Yeah I know the top or other side. I assume like most of the west that all of the mining has played out in the area.

Do I miss the desert SW . . . . . YES . . . . as a matter of fact the mountains of Colorado are something else I miss!

Oh Jerry, THANKS for bringing a new young shooter into the world. Most shooters I know are about those of us on this thread, so I know we need some new young blood.

Buckshot
01-02-2006, 07:17 AM
..........Ric, neither of our mules required shoeing. The last couple years we had them they had to be trimmed a couple times a year because they weren't ridden enough to keep their hooves worn down. Our other mule was Barney and when he got up into his later 20's we quit riding him as he'd show up a bit lame after a ride. We finally had to have the old guy put down as he got so crippled. We reckon me must have been about 30 or a couple years older.

However when we'd go for a ride we'd take him along because he loved to go. One time a whole bunch of us were up in the San Jacinto mountains and we had Barney along just running loose. He'd go up the trail just trotting along, or he'd spy a good sandy spot and thrown himself down for a nice roll. A couple times hikers would have him by the leadrope and they'd come down the trail, "Hey we caught your mule!" So we'd thank them and after a bit turn him loose again. Barney always had this pleasant look about him.

Our group had split up on the way back once and it was me, my daughter, mom and a friend and Barney was in our group. The trial went up a short ridge, then made a tight left turn around a bunch of Sumac, Ole Barney had already gone up the hill and made the turn so I suggested we hide from him. So before going up the hill we turned left at the bottom and went a little way along the valley.

It did take a little time. I'm sure he'd probably stopped to wait for us. I was getting worried that maybe he'd decided to head on back to the campground by himself. But nope, pretty soon we could hear him holler and here he came down that hill like a rocket. He went a bit further down the trail then turned and saw us. You could literally see the relief cross his face when he saw us :-) I swear we all busted up laughing because he let out a big bray and was just about wiggiling all over. He trotted up and got real close to each one of the other horses and Toby in turn, so they could nip each other's necks and do some rubbing.

.................Buckshot

Buckshot
01-02-2006, 07:26 AM
lets see if this works

Wills, a good way to break a fractious young horse was to tie then off to a Burro. In a couple days the Burro would have the young'un leading around as nice as you please :bigsmyl2: They have eternal patience and refuse to give up an inch of ground against their will, so the youngster just ricochets around on the end of the lead rope like a paddle ball till they get wore out. They finally get it through thier heads they'll not make any headway, and it's just easier to go along with the leadrope.

................Buckshot

GLL
01-02-2006, 05:39 PM
TCLouis:

The road leads west out of Lone Pine, through the Alabama Hills, and up Whitney Portal in the Sierra Nevada. It is a very popular jump off point for climbing Mt. Whitney which you see in the middle of the photo ( 14,495 feet elevation and the highest point in the Continental U.S.).

We spend most of our time in the other direction, off to the east, where there are not too many people driving around. Many of the mountains in the desert Basin Range Province are still 10-12,000 feet elevation and very remote.

I try my best to help young people ! :) :) Actually she is a thirty-six year old high school teacher who has children in college.

Jerry

wills
01-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Wills, a good way to break a fractious young horse was to tie then off to a Burro. In a couple days the Burro would have the young'un leading around as nice as you please :bigsmyl2: They have eternal patience and refuse to give up an inch of ground against their will, so the youngster just ricochets around on the end of the lead rope like a paddle ball till they get wore out. They finally get it through thier heads they'll not make any headway, and it's just easier to go along with the leadrope.

................Buckshot
She'll probably have me trained before long.

TCLouis
01-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Jerry when I saw what it took to build that road I figured it had to go some place Important, Does not look to be easy. Woulda been a good blasting contract though I bet.

I would not have guessed her age at 36.
Now that you have announced it all over the world, you may not want to tell her about the thread. Whether one looks their age or not does NOT seem to be the issue with the average female.