PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 loose primer pockets

Ozark mike
06-13-2020, 03:34 AM
I think this is the right place to post this. I got me another mold this time from Tom @ accurate a 460-502p well I loaded up a concoction of what I thought would be a good starter load based on my 49th. Proceeded to fire off 5rds from my bfr then 5 more from the 1895 I could tell they were hot but didn't realize they were that bad until I resized and primed. primer pockets are definitely loose. pockets were loose from both guns which is hard to believe I can get that kind of pressure from the 7.5 bfr. this bullet was seated @2.550 with 45 grns of h322 which is less than the starting load of no1 level which is 46 grns vs 51 grns for the 500 grn for the lee bullet seated long with about the same amount of air space. so the question is if you have ever run into this with a hot load in 45-70

they are sized to .461

nhyrum
06-13-2020, 03:46 AM
I think this is the right place to post this. I got me another mold this time from Tom @ accurate a 500-502p well I loaded up a concoction of what I thought would be a good starter load based on my 49th. Proceeded to fire off 5rds from my bfr then 5 more from the 1895 I could tell they were hot but didn't realize they were that bad until I resized and primed. primer pockets are definitely loose. pockets were loose from both guns which is hard to believe I can get that kind of pressure from the 7.5 bfr. this bullit was seated @2.550 with 45 grns of h322 which is less than the starting load of lever gun level which is 46 grns vs 51 grns for the 500 grn for the lee bullet seated long with about the same amount of air space. so the question is if you have ever run into this with a hot load in 45-70

Ps they are sized to .461Depends on brass brand. If they were Hornady, I wouldn't be surprised.

there's a trick that guys that reload the big boomers use, when you're lucky to get two firings before you blow pockets, yet brass is 5 bucks a piece. (At least that's where, and why, I found it)

Should you be interested in tightening them up I can link the article. Really all you need is a hardened steel ball bearing, a bolt that fits at least the case neck well, and a hammer (carefulling, of course)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ozark mike
06-13-2020, 04:04 AM
Thanks know how to fix pockets I'm jus wondern just how high the pressures could have gone I don't own a highwall or no1 yet if those do it with this modern brass I'd be surprised