PDA

View Full Version : Echo Chainsaws?

richhodg66
06-12-2020, 02:40 PM
The little craftsman chain saw I've had for about 20 years needs to be worked on again to get it going, the poor little thing just doesn't get run often enough and seems like I have to go through this when I need it. I live on a bigger place in the woods now than when I bought it, and it's just a matter of time until I really need one, so it's really time to upgrade anyway.

The guy who works on small engines around here, who I have no reason to doubt, but just wanted to look into it, recommended the Echo line and the local Orscheln's in town carries them. The biggest one they have is about $400, which isn't really a problem, I'd prefer to spend a little more and get more saw than I really need rather than not enough.

Can anybody comment on these with regards to reliability and performance? Parts availability, etc.?

Winger Ed.
06-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Anything will work if its taken care of.

A had a badboy Stihl for years, and traded it off to the tree trimmer guys when I decided I wasn't
going up into trees on a ladder any more.

But, if I needed a decent size chain saw, I'd sure get another medium size Stihl.

RugerFan
06-12-2020, 03:10 PM
When my Poulan went belly up, I went chainsaw shopping. There is a limited selection in my area, so I can’t get just any brand. I looked hard at online reviews and Echo had the best by far (again, of what was available locally). I bought an 18” Echo and am very pleased with it. Been using it for a couple years and would definitely recommend the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FLINTNFIRE
06-12-2020, 03:30 PM
2 of my brothers have owned echo chainsaws , they were both good saws.

Finster101
06-12-2020, 03:31 PM
I've had an Echo saw for about 3 1/2 years now. It gets nothing but the premixed 50-1 fuel. For as little as I use it is well worth the cost of a gallon. The saw starts every time I want to use it even after sitting for months. I only have a small 14" model but it does all I need and I would recommend them to anyone.

richhodg66
06-12-2020, 03:46 PM
I've had an Echo saw for about 3 1/2 years now. It gets nothing but the premixed 50-1 fuel. For as little as I use it is well worth the cost of a gallon. The saw starts every time I want to use it even after sitting for months. I only have a small 14" model but it does all I need and I would recommend them to anyone.

I will be using only that pre-mixed fuel from now on. I hate two cycle motors, but you really don't have a choice with chain saws. I have a clearing task I'm gonna need one for and bottom line is, I really need to have one around here, if a tree fell across our drive way, I'd be walking to town to get one.

Gonna go back to Orscheln's and buy that biggest one, should be all the saw I'll ever need and then some.

Shawlerbrook
06-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Heard only good things about Echo, but only owned a string stringer. For chainsaws I prefer Stihl and Husky.

JimB..
06-12-2020, 03:55 PM
FWIW, I really love a straight shaft trimmer with a circular saw blade for small clearing projects. Small is defined as not worth renting a mini excavator or dozer.

06ackley
06-12-2020, 04:50 PM
I have the echo cs 400 saw and it has been a great saw. Also have echo backpack blower and string trimmer....so yes I'd recommend echo.

johniv
06-12-2020, 05:06 PM
I had an echo saw many years ago(when I was allowed to use a chainsaw). It always worked well for me. Just cutting winter wood, not pro or commercial use.
FWIW

WebMonkey
06-12-2020, 05:22 PM
i have an echo top handle saw to compliment my stihl 310.

i prefer the starting 'sequence' of the stihl, but the echo is a dandy limbing/sapling saw.

cp1969
06-12-2020, 05:35 PM
I will be using only that pre-mixed fuel from now on. I hate two cycle motors, but you really don't have a choice with chain saws. I have a clearing task I'm gonna need one for and bottom line is, I really need to have one around here, if a tree fell across our drive way, I'd be walking to town to get one.

Gonna go back to Orscheln's and buy that biggest one, should be all the saw I'll ever need and then some.

Orsheln's runs discounts on Echo chainsaws from time to time. If you can wait, watch their weekly ads and save some money. Also, if you're old enough, Wednesday is Geezer Day and you can get another 5% off.

Petrol & Powder
06-12-2020, 05:45 PM
I had a John Deere chainsaw that was nothing more than a re-branded Echo with a yellow case. That was an outstanding saw right up until I drove a truck over it :shock:

I cut a lot of firewood with that Echo.

After I unintentionally killed it, I replaced it with a couple of Stihl saws. If I was in the market, I would choose a Stihl but I can't really say anything bad about that old Echo.

Mal Paso
06-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Echo is my second choice after a pro grade Stihl if money isn't an issue, first choice if it is.

richhodg66
06-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Orsheln's runs discounts on Echo chainsaws from time to time. If you can wait, watch their weekly ads and save some money. Also, if you're old enough, Wednesday is Geezer Day and you can get another 5% off.

Good point and I can probably wait a while. Orscheln's is great, and the one in Junction City is actually the best one I've ever been in, even ones in much bigger towns.

Wayne Smith
06-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Trust your local mechanic. What ever he likes buy - he will be the one to repair it. For me the Stihl dealer is the closest so that is what I have.

smithnframe
06-12-2020, 07:07 PM
I've been using Echo chainsaws for 44 years! Everything from a 14 inch bar up to a 36 inch. All have been excellent!

Finster101
06-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Trust your local mechanic. What ever he likes buy - he will be the one to repair it. For me the Stihl dealer is the closest so that is what I have.

The fault in this is mechanics like what breaks. How else do they make money.

curdog007
06-12-2020, 07:20 PM
I live in the woods. The only saw I will own is a forestry grade Husqvarna. I tried all the rest when forestry was my job, and nothing else is close. I cannot stand the vibration of a cheap consumer grade saw, as old as I am now my hands would lock up in just a few minutes. I am going to buy a new 550XP soon, the Husky I've had for 20 years still makes power like new, but my son is old enough to use it now, so he can have it. For $605, they are worth every penny. The old saw has been run on 100LL avgas and Husqvarna oil it's whole life, and has a lot of life left yet.

Mr Peabody
06-12-2020, 07:38 PM
My last saw wore out. I went to Lowes and bought the best brand I have used over 40 years. Husqvarna. I just cut dead wood, for our camp fires now. With the 10% discount for veterans I paid $220. Get one!

bikerbeans
06-12-2020, 08:41 PM
I bought a 24 " Echo in 1987. The saw was used on construction and demo sites for a half dozen years. To say it was abused was an understatement, but it always ran. After it sat unused for a year I gave it to my best friend. The saw was still running but needed a bar and chain. He is still dropping trees and cutting firewood with this Echo. The engine has not been rebuilt.

BB

snowwolfe
06-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Owned several Stihls, still own a big one with a 25 inch bar. Then I bought an Echo 490, then a smaller Echo, then another. The next saw I buy will be an Echo Timber Wolf.
I'll never buy a Stihl again. I only use nonethanol fuel and the Echos start first or second pull after sitting for months. A 8 year old could pull start the 490. The Stihls usually require a squirt of starting fluid.

tankgunner59
06-12-2020, 08:44 PM
According to what I have found they have been around since 1961. Never owned one but I have family members of my parents who wouldn't own anything else.

osteodoc08
06-12-2020, 09:53 PM
I’ve owned Echo, Stihl and Husky. They’ve all ran well
And cut well. I’d not hesitate to buy another echo. Get rid of the limiter caps and tune the carb correctly. Use non ethanol gas and she will last for years and years.

blackthorn
06-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Retired in 2004and moved to Kamloops. Bought 1.8 acer property and a small Echo pruning saw. The idea was to just cut wood to feed the stove in my 30x40 foot shop. And then the pine beetles hit! Killed all the big yellow pine on our place 30+ trees, some of them well over the length of my poor little saw blade. Had to cut from both sides and often also had to roll the log to finish. I began to cut those trees up and about half way through, Gail said you really need a bigger saw, so I went back and bought a bigger Echo with a longer bar. At the time I bought my first Echo, the dealer told me Echo does not make a cheap rendition of their products and all are commercial grade tools. May be different now, I don't know. I still have both saws and both still start well and run well too. My son just bought a new Stihl, and he really likes it, so if I were to buy another saw, I would research Stihl but likely just get another Echo.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-13-2020, 11:58 AM
I am a big fan of Stihl.
But I will say that I've only heard good things about Echo. If I were to ever find myself wanting to change brands, I would likely look hard at the Echo.

With my 20 year old Stihl saw (MS360 Pro) that I bought new, and the 30+ year old Stihl saw (024) I bought used (owner thought is was wore out), cutting 3 to 5 cords a year to heat the house, I will say the following:

>I have never had to have a shop repair them, never rebuild them myself. I did do a carb cleaning and adjustment on the 024 a few years after I got it, that fixed it's sluggishness that the seller thought it was wore out.

>I always use non-Oxy gas.

>after I'm done cutting and put the saw into storage (even for a week), I always drain the gas tank and run the saw to empty the carb.

Those last two things, I believe is why I never need to clean the carb, like many other saw owners that I know, seem to need to do annually.

popper
06-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Years ago Echo advertised they used needle bearings and had bearings on both sides of the crank - most H.D. stuff just uses one (thrust side) that are junk. my trimmer has a different type carb, barrel throttle vs a plate. Never tore a Mac apart but they are no more.

Ozark mike
06-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Funny i own a johndeere 90v which is made by kiorits which is the name echo used to go by its old enough that it has points but is the easiest starting saw i own couldn't tell you about the newer stuff except quality has gone down across the board

Conditor22
06-13-2020, 01:52 PM
Whatever saw you buy, {this applies to ALL gas powdered tools}

Add StaBil https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B000B68V6I/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Stabil&qid=1592070455&sr=8-2

to ALL gas that you buy that way the tools are always protected sitting unused for a week-month-year
$9 for 32 oz, STA-BIL Storage is a 1 ounce to 2.5-gallon treat rate.

STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer keeps fuel fresh for up to 24 months and provides quick and easy starts after storage. It removes water to prevent corrosion and cleanses carburetors and fuel injectors. This product protects engines from gum, varnish, rust, and corrosion and prolongs the life of any engine. Eliminate the need to drain the fuel of your 2 or 4 cycle engine by treating the fuel with STA-BIL before storing.

cp1969
06-13-2020, 03:10 PM
I don't use fuel additives of any sort and have never had a problem with anything that had straight gas in it (no alcohol). My old Briggs powered roto tiller sat for over ten years with gas in it and started right up. Even I was surprised at that but it has the carburetor which uses the fuel tank as the float bowl.

In 2001, a June storm broke one of our pecan trees, 16' above ground level. At the time, all I had was a Poulan Micro XXV 14" saw (still have it). A tree company wanted $750 just to get the tree on the ground, so I bought a Husky 55 with 16" bar (still have it, too) and cut it down and into smoking wood myself. The base of this tree was 106" circumference and a 16" bar isn't ideal for that, it worked. It was a difficult felling because the top of the tree was still connected to the trunk at the 16' level. It was very hard for me to tell which way the stress went and at times I had both saws stuck in the tree and had to axe one out so I could free the other. Both bars got bent. People lined up to get the pecan wood but I don't recall anybody bringing back any smoked meat.

The Husky 55 impressed me. It cost me $350, so I saved $400 minimum, but it's cut a lot more since then and still runs like new. All I've done is the usual things--spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, bars and chains. Right now I'm waiting on cool weather to retrieve a big Black Locust log out of a ravine. I don't mind doing it but don't want to sweat like I did with the Pecan tree. It'll have to be cut in at least four pieces and pulled up one at a time.

buckwheatpaul
06-13-2020, 05:00 PM
The little craftsman chain saw I've had for about 20 years needs to be worked on again to get it going, the poor little thing just doesn't get run often enough and seems like I have to go through this when I need it. I live on a bigger place in the woods now than when I bought it, and it's just a matter of time until I really need one, so it's really time to upgrade anyway.

The guy who works on small engines around here, who I have no reason to doubt, but just wanted to look into it, recommended the Echo line and the local Orscheln's in town carries them. The biggest one they have is about $400, which isn't really a problem, I'd prefer to spend a little more and get more saw than I really need rather than not enough.

Can anybody comment on these with regards to reliability and performance? Parts availability, etc.?

I have always been a Stihl man....however my commercial 18" bit the dust while under load and was totaled.....to get the closest Stihl it was going to cost $1,200.00 and came with a one year warranty.....or 2 if you used their gas......Echo 18" has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and I have been working the snot out of it....I live on a ranch and a chainsaws are a way of life. Like you I bought on the recommendation of my repair man .... boy was he right.....news flash....the comparable Stihl is not as good as my old one....so at 68 years of age I bought the 18" for $325.00 and it is easy to start and does a great job.....hope this helps.....Paul

Wayne Smith
06-14-2020, 07:57 AM
Right now I'm waiting on cool weather to retrieve a big Black Locust log out of a ravine. I don't mind doing it but don't want to sweat like I did with the Pecan tree. It'll have to be cut in at least four pieces and pulled up one at a time.

Have you ever worked with one of those? When dry hard enough to bend nails. You will probably need two guys, one simply to sharpen chains!

Petrol & Powder
06-14-2020, 09:20 AM
It has been stated repeatedly on this thread and many other threads but, one more time - Use NON-ETHANOL fuel !

Someone mentioned STA-BIL fuel stabilizer and I still use that for long term storage when I don't drain the tank and run the carb dry. It does work. However, non-ethanol gas will solve about 98% of your fuel system problems.

Gas with ethanol is the curse of all small engines. Ethanol is bad enough in vehicles but it's really bad in the world of small engines. Yes, if you run the engine dry and store the equipment without fuel, your problems will be somewhat reduced. But seriously? Do you do that every time and do you get all of the fuel out? In terms of reliability and durability - use of non-ethanol fuel is like the difference between night and day.

Anyone that has used a chain saw for even a little bit of work knows that it is the chain that does the work. Sharp teeth and the correct profile will get the job done. Of course, the engine has to start and run but once you get over that hurdle; it really comes down to the chain.
For an "All Purpose" chain I prefer the semi-chisel design. A full chisel will cut faster when sharp and, in clean conditions, will stay sharp. However for utility work where clean and dry aren't always possible, the semi-chisel is my choice.
The "safety" chains with the fully rounded teeth that come on most consumer grade saws sold in big box retail stores are useless. Even a semi-chisel chain will out work them and a full chisel will cut circles around them.

I made an open top wooden box that neatly holds a 1 gallon gas can with a spout (pre-nanny state type), A plastic 1 quart bottle of bar oil (which is re-filled from a larger jug at home), the multi-tool for the saw, several spare chains and a bottle of oil for the fuel mix.

Reading this thread, I see some clear preference for Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna equipment. I think those are all solid choices.

I've seen many people (including family members) buy the cheapest saw they could find. They would go through 3-4 saws for one of mine and during that time they had nothing but trouble. Spend a little more up front, get enough engine for the length of bar you are using, get a good chain and at least 1 spare.

A little bit of planning on the front end will save you a LOT of aggravation on the back end.

William Yanda
06-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Since the local guy will probably work on it eventually, why not take his advice? The price difference would not be worth even the remote possibility of "I told you when you asked".

Petrol & Powder
06-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Since the local guy will probably work on it eventually, why not take his advice? The price difference would not be worth even the remote possibility of "I told you when you asked".

That's good advice if the "local guy" is honest. If I was a dishonest mechanic, I would recommend the brand that breaks the most. More repairs means more money in my pocket.

richhodg66
06-14-2020, 10:48 PM

The guy has been very square and honest in all dealings I've had with him. He's relatively new to this, just the past couple of years, but so far has given me no reason to doubt him.

Besides that, all the feedback here seem to agree with him. Pay day is about a week away and I can do a lot of the clearing without it, so I'll wait until then, but I'm gonna go with his advice.

dkf
06-14-2020, 11:01 PM
I have a couple Echo chainsaws and other Echo gas equipment. They have always been reliable saws for me. THey have always had a good cylinder lining, keep a reasonable amount of oil mixed in the gas and they just last.

jimlj
06-15-2020, 12:27 AM
I can't recommend a brand, I have an el cheap Pullen from wally world. Works fine for the one or two times a year I use it. I always put Stabil in my gas cans, so the lawn mower, weed eater and chain saw get it in the fuel each time I fill the tank. I never wonder if I added it at the end of the season.

I would recommend re-thinking the biggest one available. I had to replace a router a few years ago and bought the biggest Dewalt I could find. I found it's too heavy for 90% of the work I do. I ended up buying a 1 HP router that will do 99% of what I need it for. The 3 1/4 HP Dewalt is permanently mounted in the router table and gets very little use. Just remember you have to lift the biggest saw they have every time you use it.

Jsm180
06-15-2020, 08:04 AM
I have 2 Stihl saws, ms170 and ms290, no complaints. The only maintenance they need is blade sharpening. When my 40 yr old homelight blew up I asked my friends in AK what they used and the stihl was high on the list. We have had several hurricanes through here the last few years and I notice most of the tree trimmers use Stihl also.

All my 2 cycles and generators run on avgas only, it never goes stale and there is always at least 30 gal in the airplane.

georgerkahn
06-15-2020, 08:51 AM
I have three Mantis tillers, all of which use Echo motors. I will NOT start/run one for, say, maybe three years -- and, when pulled out for use, they all seem to start/run as if they were last used "yesterday". The BIG disclaimer is, however, that I use NOTHING other than store-bought pre-mix (e.g., Stihl 50:1 Moto-Mix; Tru-Fuel 40:1 or Tru-Fuel 50:1; or similar) in all air-cooled 2-cycle devices! This "fuel tip" is one not, imho and experience, to be ignored!
I also have fourteen chainsaws, all of Stihl manufacture, which includes one powering a Lewis Winch, and one which is a Stihl Pole Saw. I used the Pole Saw yesterday, and after ~20 "wasted" rope pulls, I removed the spark plug, dropped in a 1/2-capful of Moto-Mix in the cylinder -- and after putting the 'plug back in it started on second pull and I was able to do quite a bit of trimming. (A 'woodsman's' starting trick :)!)
I used to buy and mix my own fuel, adding Sta-bil -- but, have learned by experience, the commercial pre-mix is surely worth its expense! If I was back to regular/often use, then I'd ($$$) mix my own; but, one trip to repair shop for carburetor clean runs about $75.00 here -- so, a lot of pre-mix may be purchased and in addition to convenience and time not lost by in-shop time...
If you're into "large" saws, I'd reckon Stihl or Husquvarna would be the way I'd go. But, for medium and light-weight, I'd see nothing wrong with Echo. One last thought, though, is if I were a few years younger than my present 72 -- I'd diffidently be looking at the new breed of Lithium battery-powered saws -- I've seen and been impressed by both Oregon and Stihls. One friend has a Stihl plus one spare battery -- and he purports he can cut wood indefinitely with one battery in charger with other in saw.... worth a thought?
geo

Wayne Smith
06-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Battery powered saws - yes he can keep up now, but will he in five years?

cp1969
06-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Have you ever worked with one of those? When dry hard enough to bend nails. You will probably need two guys, one simply to sharpen chains!A little. We cut up the limbs when we felled the tree in that ravine but the trunk is still down there. My friend heats with wood and wants that trunk because black locust has very high BTU's per cord. I didn't notice it being all that hard to cut but I do keep the chain sharp. I was too busy dodging those thorns.

ascast
06-15-2020, 12:17 PM
You may want to get a saw that uses the same bar and chain you now use if you have a pile around. After about 30 years of 25 face per years, my 041 shook apart. The authorized repair guy botched the fix. I bought a new Stilh. Even though it is a 20 inch, it will not use my old chains, of which I have 20 or so; and bars. And they make a model that will. I suggest you buy what can be fixed local, just in case. I always mix my own fuel, 5 gallons at a time and mix to the 1/100 gallon on gas. Never had any trouble with it starting on 1 or 2 pulls, unless it got left out in the rain. Echo ans Husky have good reps, but the loggers and tree guys around here all use Stilh.

jonp
06-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Owned several saws. Got over 20yrs out of a Husky cutting 8 cords of hardwood like maple and beech a year. Last 2 have both been Jonsered Pro saws. Power to weight in the 50cc size I don't think you can beat them.

As for fuel. Buy non ethanol if you can but I always use stabil 360. If I store them I pull the plug and squirt a little oil in, pull a few times and hand tighten the plug.

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 10:20 PM
Stihl is still the new kid on the block compared to homelite or mac. i had a 790 mac that i would put up against any stihl or husky. It was slower in the small stuff but bigger stuff couldnt dog it for nothin and dont get me started on the sp125 mac woowee

2wheelDuke
06-15-2020, 11:58 PM
It's hard to go wrong with any of the decent models of the "orange" saws.

I look at what the pros around me use. They're mostly Echo or Stihl, with a few on Husqvarna.

I got tired of fighting with garbage brands and got some Echo stuff to use. I have a 58v weed whacker and a 58v chainsaw. I don't use the chainsaw much, really just after storms. Not having a carb to gum up is great for me. But the 58v powerhead won't run the edger or pole saw according to Echo, so I also have a gas power head for those.

Wayne Smith
06-16-2020, 07:50 AM
A little. We cut up the limbs when we felled the tree in that ravine but the trunk is still down there. My friend heats with wood and wants that trunk because black locust has very high BTU's per cord. I didn't notice it being all that hard to cut but I do keep the chain sharp. I was too busy dodging those thorns.

It cuts fine when it's green - hint, hint! We used it for fence posts and could not drive a staple in it when it was dry.

Mal Paso
06-16-2020, 09:16 AM
You may want to get a saw that uses the same bar and chain you now use if you have a pile around. After about 30 years of 25 face per years, my 041 shook apart.

The 041 is the only Stihl I would not recommend although they haven't been made for over 30 years. It's the only Stihl I've seen with the cylinder in line with the bar and it will vibrate itself apart. I was running one when the carburetor came loose. The engine was hot, running lean and shutting off the ignition would not stop the saw. It was well past 10,000 RPM when I buried the bar in a log to stop it. Fond memories LOL.

FLINTNFIRE
06-16-2020, 09:44 AM
All the stihls of that generation had pistons that ran front to back , owned a stihl 041 super for 20 some years was still running when I gave it to a guy to use as parts for his 041 , ran it hard felling and bucking smaller trees , used it topping and other tree work , used the stihl 051 and 075 for bigger trees .

Dapaki
06-16-2020, 02:56 PM
I ran ECHO's for a long time then a skidloader did a gravity check on my timber wolf and I picked up a super cheapo saw at Home Depot (BlueMax) just to get me by for the remaining cleanup on the job I was doing. 2 years later, 30 long cord later, its still working fine, 22" bar needs to be replaced now but have not ruined any of the 3 chains I have for it. Starts after pulling the choke and giving it a pull to prime then push the choke in and pull, starts every time. The timber puppy was a 20", the extra 2" has really made a difference bringing big trees down, I would have to go to a 24" ECHO to be happy but that sucker will run X3 what the BlueMax did!

abunaitoo
06-16-2020, 03:07 PM
I've had amny saws over the years.
Different brands.
Some were better than others.
With the ethnol in the gas, saws are not liking it.
Went to help a friend dig a stump up.
We had to cut it up a little, and I didn't bring my saw.
All he had was a plug in electric.
First time I've used one.
Never thought they were any good.
It worked great.
I now only use a plug in electric saw.
No more mixing gas.
Pull, pull, pull.......
Very quiet.
Cord is not that big of an issue for me.
I had two but another friend borrowed one, and three years later, he still has it.

GONRA
06-16-2020, 05:29 PM
Olde man GONRA's happy with my (Girly Start) Stihl and Canned Fuel for those Rare Use Occasions without screwing up all the 2 cycle stuff...

daengmei
06-16-2020, 07:22 PM
Just needed a chain saw for storm cutting and minor spring trimming. Bought a Poulan and maybe got 2 years use of it. I remember taking it to repair once that cost nearly the full purchase price. Just ditched it and bought a smaller Stihl and it has worked every pull. After the poulan drop I decided to use specific fuel instead of the gas pump. It does seem to make a big difference in mower, weed eater and tillers.