PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds??

DragoonDrake
11-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,

When you are testing a load, alloy, and lube combination, how many rounds do you load? I have been reloading what I was told was good and have stuck with that. I like my light little loads, but I am ready for something bigger. I guess I want to get the most out of my sharps without using holy black. That is not my only gun though.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

missionary5155
11-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Greetings.
Well I am going to first KNOW what my throat diameter is... other wise accuracy is all going to be 2nd rate . Fill the throat and the rest of the barrel is going to take care of itself unless the barrel is all wallowed out at the muzzle.
Half WW and half pure lead would be a good mix to think about. Nothing wrong with 30-1 either.
Now will that FAT bullet chamber.. usually yes but find out with an unloaded unprimed cartridge. Yea it all takes time but it is time well spent.
So what powder ??? What-cha gt on Hand ? Obviously you have been shooting something.
I would load 5 cartridges at the starting load whatever... load 5 more +1 grain... load 5 more +1 grain... and so forth...but depending on the powder ... which I know not what.. but check your manual for starting info.

Buckshot
11-28-2008, 01:37 AM
...............Not pertaining to a Sharps in particular but for a rifle I will load 10 rounds of each load. Rifles I have a tendancy to shoot often don't normally get cleaned at home after shooting known loads. However with these AND in a rifle with a cleaned oiled barrel I always note the first shot's position. I'll run a patch through after 5 shots, then fire the next 5, again noting the placement of the 1st shot. I'll then run a patch through it, before going on to the next load.

................Buckshot

crabo
11-28-2008, 02:12 AM
One thing that was suggested to me, was to have a control load. You know what that particular load will do. If something doesn't seem right, shoot your control load. If it is not as good as it should be something is wrong. Either you can't shoot that day, or there is a problem with your equipment. Could be leading, loose mount or sight screws, loose grip or stock/ forend screws, bad bench technique or equipment........