PDA

View Full Version : hi-piont carbine

redriverhunter
06-12-2020, 09:02 AM
I have been thinking about getting a hi-point carbine for quite some time, and finally decided to get one. Well I am not getting one now, can not seem to find one. WOW I would have not thought they would be such a limited supply. Lesson learned get them when you can

Froogal
06-12-2020, 09:06 AM
My local dealer has several of the Ruger PC carbines ordered. One of them has my name on it, but the dealer has NO idea of when they will arrive.

richhodg66
06-12-2020, 09:06 AM
I have been on the fence about getting one for a while too and did notice when I was in a LGS that normally had several at any given time none in stock.

Trying to decide between .45 ACP and 10mm. I handload for both, the .45 would be much better in terms of brass availability but that 10mm is a beast and I think could really benefit from a rifle length barrel. Decisions, decisions...

I wouldn't be opposed to a 9mm either, but it's been years since I dusted off my 9mm dies.

BigAlofPa.
06-12-2020, 10:03 AM
I have 4 H.P carbines. 9mm 40'sw 45acp and the 10mm. The 45 groups best out of the 4. The 9mm and 10mm do better reaching out to the 100 yard line though.

kerplode
06-12-2020, 06:09 PM
I have been thinking about getting a hi-point carbine for quite some time, and finally decided to get one. Well I am not getting one now, can not seem to find one. WOW I would have not thought they would be such a limited supply. Lesson learned get them when you can

Uh yeah...The firearms and ammo market have seen crazy demand in the last couple months. Pandemics and civil unrest tend to do that.

Hi-points are ugly and have low mag capacity, but they work just fine. Buy one when you find it and enjoy the hell out of it.

I have a 9mm PC...It's a fantastic little carbine, the take-down feature is handy, and it'll run with cheap/common glock mags, including the big G18 mags. It costs 2x the hi-point, though.

Conditor22
06-12-2020, 06:56 PM
9MM hi-point carbine ugly but shoot good, durable --- truck gun

smithnframe
06-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Ugly as sin! But, I've read good reviews! I wouldn't own one personally.

panhed65
06-12-2020, 07:15 PM
my local dealer here in Monroe county Pa says the libtards are buying up the guns as fast as they can get them, and I saw, the shelves are bare. now we have to wait and see if they will keep them or sell them cheap some day.
Barry

Finster101
06-12-2020, 07:16 PM
My 995 will digest any ammo I try to feed it, even jumbled up in the same mag. It really like Lee 358-105s which makes me real happy.

Chris S
06-12-2020, 08:22 PM
I have one of these in 45acp, I splurged and went with the sand colored stock. Still cheap enough that if I dropped it, I'd probably get over it in a minute.

Fantastic gun to shoot, eats anything. I feed it a dozen different loads that I make with lead projectiles, straight up or PC'd. It's no tack driver but a 6" pie plate at 50 yards better look out. The stock mags are small (9 rounds), but they work great. And Redball makes a weird 20 rounder that is both single and double stack that works great.

Probably the only negative I can make is the teardown. It's a bit of a process and takes a little patience.

Chris

GhostHawk
06-12-2020, 08:55 PM
I'm with Big Al, my .45acp is the best of the bunch. Perhaps a bit of a tossup with 10mm, but bigger is always better all else being even close to equal.

26Charlie
06-12-2020, 09:02 PM
4 or 5 months ago the news made me nervous on a weekly basis, just at the time the ammo sellers were offering really good deals and free shipping. Also my daughter picked up a 9mm. I ended up with a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm FMJ. After giving half of it to her, I thought how nice it would be to have a carbine to shoot that ammo in. Yep, bought a Hipoint. Started shooting it the next day.
Thought I could see the sights better if I smoked them with a candle. No no. Rear sight is plastic, melted it to a nubbin. I called them, confessed, the woman said “you just bought it? Well, that’s under warranty”. I ordered two extra magazines and the clip to fasten them to the stock, and she shipped me the rear sight assembly no charge.
It is fun to bring it out as a treat after giving pistol instruction to people with their 9mms.u

FLINTNFIRE
06-13-2020, 12:25 AM
I have the carbines in 9mm and 40 s&w and in 45acp , I like the 40 and the 45 the most but there is nothing wrong with the 9mm , it will feed any ammo I put in the magazine and is pretty accurate , both of the 45 carbines came with nasty looking bores , they needed polished , the 40 and the 9 have all been good .
I have gave a 9mm carbine to son and daughter and her husband , they all enjoy them .

Jniedbalski
06-13-2020, 01:13 AM
I got the 40 S&w. It is a fun plinker .I wanted to use it for deer hunting but the sks has been used for 30 years. Wonder how much faster the 10 mm is for a180 gr Swc than the 40 S&w with the blow back action?

redriverhunter
06-13-2020, 06:02 AM
thanks for all the replies and I am grateful for the opinions between the 9mm and 45 I was on the fence a bit but it will be 45 all the way now. now just I just have to wait till supply catches up with demand.

jonp
06-13-2020, 06:22 AM
Got one in each caliber for my wife and I as well as a couple of the handguns. Ugly, clunky but well made. Not cheap but inexpensive and they eat all types of ammo.

I didn't know there had been a run on firearms until guy I hadn't heard from in a few months called a few days ago wanting to know if I knew anywhere he could get a shotgun as all local lgs were sold out of what he wanted and so we're the online places.

I think the fiasco of the Dem Mayor's and Governors refusing to protect people from the looters and rioters has opened a lot of eyes that the myth the left has been pushing for decades that you don't need a gun because they will protect you is just that, a myth. You are responsible for yourself and your family when you get right down to it

jonp
06-13-2020, 06:25 AM
Don't forget to buy a 45acp handgun to go with it!. A red dot on that carbine is a great package. Love mine and get an extended mag for it while your at it. ��

GhostHawk
06-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Sights are ok, but they were made for smaller lightweight red dot sights.

You can leave the existing sights on and it will still work.
So if anything goes out on the dot take it off and still shoot.

The ONLY thing the Hipoint does not have that at times I wish it did was stripper clip compatability.

But both the 9 and the .45 have very good 20 round mags from Red Ball. Both work very well. Buy multiples!
Keep them ON the gun. Do that and you have a self contained little can o Whoop @$$ if you need it.

Thin Man
06-13-2020, 08:10 AM
About a year ago a customer brought us his second (or 5th) hand HP carbine that had been robbed of its sights and looked beat up. He wanted the sights replaced so I called the factory. When I inquired about buying the replacement sights for this rifle the customer service rep refused to sell them to me. She said they would send us the sights, freight paid, and hoped the owner enjoyed them. This repair was not covered by a warranty but the factory still treated it as if it was. Don't know if this is their usual response to parts replacement requests but the owner was very happy with their generosity.

MrWolf
06-13-2020, 08:49 AM
I picked up the 10mm at the LGS. I had just gotten my SA XDm 10mm and saw it just being lonely so I brought it home. I like the tank.

frkelly74
06-13-2020, 09:59 AM
The 9mm is a really hot "22" that you can reload when the 22 ammo goes bye bye after the next election. I have had some fun with ours and my son loves to bang away with it. We had to send it in for a rebuild under the old unlimited warranty and apparently this has just changed to only cover the original owner with proof of purchase. So if you get a new one , save the recipt so you can get it fixed 20 years from now when you wear it out.

243winxb
06-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Blow back actions @ 35,000 PSI. No thank you. 9mm & 40 S&W. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/hipoint-40s-w-carbine-kaboom.773546/

The M16 223, has to lock the bolt before the firing pin fires it. Much safer.

jonp
06-13-2020, 11:16 AM
About a year ago a customer brought us his second (or 5th) hand HP carbine that had been robbed of its sights and looked beat up. He wanted the sights replaced so I called the factory. When I inquired about buying the replacement sights for this rifle the customer service rep refused to sell them to me. She said they would send us the sights, freight paid, and hoped the owner enjoyed them. This repair was not covered by a warranty but the factory still treated it as if it was. Don't know if this is their usual response to parts replacement requests but the owner was very happy with their generosity.

Yes it is. I got a second hand 9mm that had been bubba'd. Some removed the mag disconnect and monkeyed up the works so it would not retain a magazine. I looked up the exploded diagram online then called them with the parts I needed. Free of charge and I had them a few days later. That's why I'm a fan of that company. Inexpensive guns that work and everyone can afford to protect themselves. Perfect nightstand guns.

jonp
06-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Blow back actions @ 35,000 PSI. No thank you. 9mm & 40 S&W. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/hipoint-40s-w-carbine-kaboom.773546/

That's nice. The thousands of people using them without a problem means nothing? I suspect wrong or reloaded ammo

GhostHawk
06-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Thin man that is their normal response.

I bought a C9 9mm pistol from a pawn shop, had a mag release issue.
So I figured out eventually who to call, and called. They wanted the serial #, and got it. I wanted an extra mag and a mag loader, was waiting to give my credit card info. She got my name and address and said we are good, parts will be there in 3 days with instructions.

She never would take my CC #.

Package arrived with parts, 2 good instruction sheets, one all pictures, the other a step by step how to.
An extra mag, and a mag loader. No charge.

She made a customer for life, and she knew she was doing it.

I will continue to buy Hipoint Products as long as they have something that interests me.

At this point I'd really love to see a scaled down Carbine for .32sw long or .32acp and a scaled down pistol to go with it

Good products, great company, guns that just don't quit, and prices that can't be beat. That's a win every which way round in my book.

douglasskid
06-13-2020, 09:42 PM
My 9mm hi-point will digest any ammo. I shoot 124 grain cast, powder coated bullets. The carbine rings the 100 yard with regularity.

Jniedbalski
06-13-2020, 10:20 PM
There customer service is the best there is. I also called and I told them I lost a spring. My fault. They would not except payment. Just sent it out in the mail free.

richhodg66
06-14-2020, 06:55 AM

First I've heard of one of these ever having a problem out of reading literally hundreds of testimonials about how great they are. I think I'd call this a fluke and there sure isn't enough information there to judge it as a bad gun.

By the way, they've been making straight blow sub guns in 9mm and .45 ACP for decades, I don't see where the .40 S&W would be any different, you sound like you're just one of the Hi Point bashers who can't deal with the fact that an inexpensive gun is good, there seem to be quite a few out there.

GhostHawk
06-14-2020, 07:08 AM

I read that thread, something funky going on there. I'm sure we'll hear what it is in time.

And just FYI you can blow up an AR also, tends to throw more parts when it does.
I've yet to have a problem with my Hipoint Carbines. Have put a lot of cast lead through them. Most with midrange loads of Red Dot.
No problems at all.

frkelly74
06-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Good point /\ /\ /\. There is no such thing as indestructable. There will always be someone pushing the envelope too far or just plain making a mistake and getting spectacular results.

Chris S
06-14-2020, 06:07 PM
"Blow back actions @ 35,000 PSI. No thank you. 9mm & 40 S&W. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...kaboom.773546/

The M16 223, has to lock the bolt before the firing pin fires it. Much safer."

But, but, but my AR-9 is blowback too!

Chris

jonp
06-14-2020, 07:53 PM
Good point /\ /\ /\. There is no such thing as indestructable. There will always be someone pushing the envelope too far or just plain making a mistake and getting spectacular results.

Hi Point pushes the envelope on indestructible. My only problem is that they haven't figured out a 10mm carbine/handgun pair yet

BigAlofPa.
06-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Im waiting for them to come out with a 10mm handgun too.

megasupermagnum
06-15-2020, 10:32 PM
There are videos out there of people stuffing the barrel 100% full of mud and clay. This still doesn't blow them up. HiPoint likely makes the strongest, as in most blow up proof, 9mm and 45 acp semi auto there is. I've always liked them. Unfortunately with MN banning new sales, the used guns go for more than they were brand new.

Dipperman
06-16-2020, 12:59 PM
Question

Is the Hi-Point 9mm carbine rated to take +P ammunition?

Thanks.

Dipperman

FLINTNFIRE
06-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Yes , go to factory page and it says that , they are tough little guns

swheeler
06-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Have the 45 carbine and pistol, these things just eat the ammo, never a problem.

kylocdoc
06-16-2020, 09:00 PM
I bought a used like new ,for a good price and have been well pleased.

BigAlofPa.
06-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Im going to get mine out for some range time. This post motivated me. :bigsmyl2:

Four-Sixty
06-20-2020, 08:25 PM
I always wondered if you could make a wood stock for a high point carbine so that it would resemble those rifles from the early Planet of the Apes movies. That would be fun!

la5676
06-20-2020, 08:51 PM
Always thought those guns in the original POTA movies looked a little plastic anyway.

la5676
06-20-2020, 08:54 PM

I'm sure lucky that my 9mm and 40 S&W pistols are all gas operated and remove that danger from right in front of my face.

:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Chris S
06-21-2020, 03:07 PM
I put mine in one of these just for kicks (no pun intended). Went with the Arctic grey, I like the look.
https://www.hightowerarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTAMBS95
Chris

FLINTNFIRE
06-21-2020, 03:09 PM
My son in law did that with the one I gave him , it does look different .

Chris S
06-21-2020, 03:11 PM
It didn't help the already crappy trigger any, but then I found the aftermarket sear spring that helped that a bit, so all in all, it works ok.
Chris

WRideout
06-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Hi Point customer service is better than almost anyone. I acquired a used C9 pistol from a friend, who said it jammed a lot. After repeated attempts to cure it with ammo, etc, I finally sent it back to the factory. They returned to me a brand new gun. That is pretty hard to beat.

Wayne