PDA

View Full Version : C.o.a.l

bandsmoyer
06-12-2020, 06:07 AM
What COAL are you using for the LEE 55gr 224 bullet in a 223 case?

Shopdog
06-12-2020, 07:53 AM
About this much.

1hole
06-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Shop, I don't use that bullet but I use a lot of others and am happy to tell you that "book" OAL is NOT a critical thing for any bullet and case, especially so for cast bullets in cases bigger than for pistols in 9mm and 10mm autoloaders. OAL is no more a law than book powder charges, we have to experiment to see what works best in our own rigs; that's part of what handloading is all about.

What can important about seating depth is if we're sitting on the ragged edge of a KABOOM charge but cast loads in rifles aren't (properly) loaded that hot. If you set the length too far forward the bullet will fall out, if you set too deep the bullet will fall in; other than that it's up to you.

As shown in the photo above, choose a good starting place to set the bullet in the case mouth, usually in a groove, and develop your charge at that depth. A light crimp can be good in an auto rig but even that isn't often needed.

Shopdog
06-12-2020, 02:35 PM
If you click on the pic,that's a land engraved on the ogive. They're all exactly the same around the bullet. Further,look at the top of the upper drive band,that's where it snugs up against the freebore. It's running right at 2800fps. Won't print the groups because I'd be called a liar. Brand new '16 R700 ADL with a 3-12 Bushnell 3200 Elite. Timney set @ 1 1/2#. Less than 200 rds down the 12T barrel.Factory rubbermaid stock that's had some serious time thrown at stiffening. Cerakoted the action and barrel burnt bronze. It'll flat out embarrass most JB shooters for 5 shots. The barrel heats up after that,it's pretty dang skinny 24". I have another new take off bull barrel but never use it,accuracy is better on long strings but I'm getting too old to be dragging heavy rigs around. They are easier to shoot though.

Conditor22
06-12-2020, 03:02 PM
COAL is ultimately determined by the gun. You need to see what your gun likes best.

Start where it touches the lands and back off .001 (unless it's a short boolit or deep chamber and will fall out of the brass)

slide
06-12-2020, 03:54 PM
If the round will fit in the magazine you are good to go. I seat mine out enough so that they will still feed. With the Lee bullet it is generally in the crimp groove. You may have to adjust from there to get the best accuracy.

David2011
06-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Gotta agree with Slide. Other than overpressure, fitting the magazine and feeding well are the criteria that control OAL.