PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman trim/size die issues. Mostly stuck cases. Ideas?

psychbiker
06-12-2020, 02:47 AM
Got this trim/size die in 308 to use with a motorized press trimmer. Plan is decap/size 3/4 of the way in stage 1 and then trim and fully size in stage 3 with new trim/size die.

Out of 4 practice cases tonight, 2 got stuck. One I full length sized in station 1 and it still get stuck.

Ideas? Could the 308 die be too tight? I lubed the cases. I’ll try with lubing them longer. It shouldn’t be a tight fit AFTER the brass has been sized already.

Anyone have experience with using a filling size/trim die?

I’m gonna message Lyman and see if I can exchange.

I’ll check my brass too. I think it’s mostly LC 762x51 brass.

Die located here.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-pro-trim-dies

kungfustyle
06-12-2020, 04:26 AM
I had a bear sizing a batch of 7.62, they wouldn't even chamber in my rifle, unless I sized them a few more times. I would fully size them in the reloading die and just use the other for trimming. Try that. If the rounds were fired in an automatic weapon they have very large chambers.

djryan13
06-12-2020, 10:21 AM
I had a bear sizing a batch of 7.62, they wouldn't even chamber in my rifle, unless I sized them a few more times. I would fully size them in the reloading die and just use the other for trimming. Try that. If the rounds were fired in an automatic weapon they have very large chambers.

I know Dillon’s version of the trim die is a small base die just for this reason. Wonder if Lyman’s version is.

What lube are you using, OP? Don’t tell me it’s Hornady’s.

psychbiker
06-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Diy lanolin lube mix. I’m gonna try soon letting the lube set longer. First case I just sprayed with tri-flo then 2nd case hit it with the alcohol lanolin mix BUT ran it right it. Works on other dies. Il spray a bunch, let the alcohol evaporate and try again. Hopefully my lube process is the issue.

djryan13
06-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Odd, I have never waited on the lanolin lube. Just start right up. New batch of lube? Enough lanolin?

1hole
06-12-2020, 01:11 PM
If a case gets "stuck" in a die there is too little lube - or a poor lube - on the lower case; the thick part is where they stick. I reform military .30-06 to .22-250 and .243; I never get a stuck case.

Bottom line, use a good case lube and apply it correctly; your cases will then slide in and back out everytime and it won't matter what chamber it was originally fired in.

Conditor22
06-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Start with CLEAN brass

THIS --- Enough lanolin? add 10 - 20% more, put a couple of boolits in the spray container, shake well and try again. shoot for 1 lanolin to 8 alcohol. 1-10 works, 1-12 can be iffy (don't ask me how I know)

MT Chambers
06-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Try it with factory brass like w-w or rp.

psychbiker
06-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Definitely not enough lube. I barely lubed a batch and they ran fine through a rcbs size die. This Lyman die might be a hair tighter. I ran a case with the lanolin alcohol lube and it worked, little harder than the rcbs sizer but worked.

My lube is old and I don’t remember the ratio. Making a new batch wouldn’t hurt. Brass was also range pickup. I have some that’s been wet tumbled I’ll try also.

Plan is to size/decap and then trim about 500-1000. Then use the Lee APP press to swage them and then I’ll be ready to load them.

I got an M die I want to test out and a new boring bar for the trimmer I also want to test. Priority though is making sure I don’t get any stuck cases anymore.