PDA

View Full Version : Kids firearm instructor

abunaitoo
06-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Anyone here do firearms instruction class for kids?????
I mean young kids.
Maybe 8yo to 10yo.

Winger Ed.
06-11-2020, 11:43 PM
Only one I've hear of is the NRA's Eddie Eagle safety classes.

10x
06-12-2020, 07:54 AM
My kids lived firearms safety from when they started to walk, same with my grandkids.
When they finally did take firearms safety courses, the instructors comment, "The kid knew more than I did and could teach the course"
That is quite a compliment.

rancher1913
06-12-2020, 08:11 AM
just my friends and relatives. always start with a big breakable target and bolt action single shot, easier to know if gun is safe and seeing the target break is loads of fun for them.

dale2242
06-12-2020, 09:18 AM
I am a certified ODFW Hunter Ed. instructor.
I had a 7 year old pass the class.
The material is geared toward kids 12 YO and older.
The problem with young kids is that some aren`t big/strong enough to handle the firearms.

abunaitoo
06-12-2020, 06:06 PM
The problem with young kids is that some aren`t big/strong enough to handle the firearms.

Ever tried a Cricket rifle????

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 02:50 PM
The younger the better i was tought to shoot before i went to school. By the time i was 5 or 6 i had my own rifle a 510 rem. And yes i gathered food. same for my dad when he was a kid grandpa would drop him off in the morning and pick him up in the evening though i dont know how old he was when that started. As far as instruction that would be best accomplished by the parents because there the ones who will be able to teach in real life situations and care the most.as far as hunter ed for licence porpoises id ask at the local ffa see if they know of anyone.
Jus my 2 cents

Scrounge
06-14-2020, 02:58 PM

They have guns like the Crickett, and my old Stevens Favorite for kids that small. I would not use anything semi-auto for the younger kids. Mind, I fired my first handgun, an old SAA Colt in .45Long at age 4. Got knocked over, too. Didn't get to fire the 12gauge double until I was 12 because I couldn't hold it level, but got in lots of time with a Stevens Favorite in .22LR. With 22CBcaps and .22BBcaps a lot, too. I still have the Favorite. Put new screws in it early this month, and found it still shoots. I thought it was worn out, but one of the screws had a brazed head that was stretched out, and not locking the breach. If it's as old as it could possibly be, it's about 136 years old, and been in my family since about 1950, I believe. Single-shot lever or bolt gun is the way to go. Personally, I prefer lever guns as a starting rifle, but that may just be because I started on lever guns. ;) I like bolt guns just fine as an adult shooter.

One of the things you need to teach is respect for the weapon, and I got that lesson from the pistol I fired before I got to touch a rifle of any sort.

abunaitoo
06-14-2020, 06:56 PM
I have not taught any kids.
They seem to have a very short attention span these days.
Might just give it a try.

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Just remove all electronics from the premises 12 hrs before instruction that will get there attention

jsizemore
06-14-2020, 10:15 PM
BB gun and reactive targets. Oversize sights and target cutouts to show sight alignment. You can cut shorter butt stocks out of 3/4" dimensional lumber or plywood. Safety glasses cuz bb's bounce. No hearing protection so they can follow your commands. If they're small you have to cock the rifle. Bales of hay or door mat for a backstop. Ammo is cheap.

Wayne Smith
06-15-2020, 09:01 AM
With the boys growing up in the suburbs of Concord, NH in elementary school - their friends had BB guns and they wanted one. I told them no, they could not have a BB gun because a BB gun was a weapon that was treated as a toy. However, they could have a .22, because a .22 would be a weapon that was treated as a weapon. They were thrilled.

Mr_Sheesh
06-21-2020, 02:39 AM
IMO: Hearing protection always; either get active hearing protection or stop, remove earpro, give commands, then continue.

You cannot regain lost hearing.

fcvan
06-21-2020, 03:05 AM
I taught my daughters by taking them to the range when they were very little. Instruction was taught by talking them though everything I was doing. All of my girls learned when they demonstrated an interest in actually shooting and then very closely supervised. My youngest took a little longer and still has a Cricket she has never fired. With the bolt out I had her demonstrate proper manipulation and the muzzle just waived too much for my liking. Years later, she got more into paintball than firearms but bless her heart everything she was previously taught she demonstrated while telling me everything she was doing before doing it. She does shoot once in a blue moon with her husband or her mom and me. The other girls know how but it's not their thing, all the girls are busy raising their children. I have been told that I will be training the grand children just so they have the safety basics firmly implanted.

Leslie Sapp
06-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Is there a 4H shooting sports program in Hawaii?
I was an instructor in shotgun and rifle for 4H back when my kids were that age.
It was set up and funded by the NRA, and we went through a number of courses in order to become certified for that program.
Many thanks to the Lakeland Gun Club who's members volunteered themselves and their facility each year for the state championships!

trapper9260
06-21-2020, 08:44 AM
The state that I grew up in ,you needed to take the hunters safety course to get your hunting lic when you are young and just starting at the age of 15 ,Well my dad had brought me to the town clerk to get my hunting lic. , the town clerk told me that I know how your dad teach you on hunting and guns I will give you your hunting lic. other wise you would need to take the class and show me the paper to prove you took the class . Well he was working on my lic. there was another kid walk in to get his lic. and the town clerk ask him for his paper to show he took the class and the kid did and he finish my lic. and my dad and I left. My dad said since the town clerk knows me that is why you got yours the way you did .