PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant prices.

Idaho45guy
06-11-2020, 10:26 PM
I live in a small town with a diner/bar that has OK food, but not great, and the prices have always been high. The next nearest place to dine out is 14 miles away.

Still, I try to support local businesses and try to eat there once a week with my girlfriend. The tab is usually around $35 with me having water and her having a margarita.

I went in yesterday for dinner and they had expanded the menu and raised prices to what I considered ridiculous levels. I told my girlfriend that we will now be driving to town for dinner. We went to a Winger's restaurant and our tab was $24 and the food was better than the local place.

I hate not supporting a local business, but they no longer have waitresses. You have to stand in line to order from the bar, then get your own utensils and condiments, and then clean and bus your own table. I was told no one wants to come back to work because they are making more money on unemployment. The couple of different restaurants I went to last week in the larger town all had wait staff and were great.

I took a picture of the menu of the local place...

elmacgyver0
06-11-2020, 10:39 PM
How much do you tip yourself for bussing your own table?

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-11-2020, 10:42 PM
The smaller the town, the fewer options. Be it food establishments or help.

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2020, 10:45 PM
Consumers vote with their wallets. Businesses react to that reality or die.

A free market will ALWAYS correct itself.

Gofaaast
06-11-2020, 10:45 PM
That’s gotta be way in excess of the customary 3 times the cost of the food is what a casual restaurant sells most food items for. I’m a tight wad now days so I don’t eat out much on my dime and when I do it’s the dollar menu. I would however be paying up if dating. The small road trip sounds like fun.

hawkenhunter50
06-11-2020, 10:48 PM
Now you got me craving a brisket sandwich.

Idaho45guy
06-11-2020, 10:53 PM
Now you got me craving a brisket sandwich.

Their beef brisket sandwich is actually very good! Just not sure if it's $16 good. And I have to do everything myself but cook the food.

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2020, 11:02 PM
Idaho45guy - You are 100% correct to re-direct your money. Your local diner/bar will either meet the needs and expectations of its customers; OR it will cease to exist. If it collapses, it may be replaced by an owner that knows how to deliver what the customers want.
If there is a demand in that community for a diner, someone will operate a diner there. It may not be the people currently operating the diner, but someone will fill that need.

Free Enterprise WORKS.

Mr Peabody
06-11-2020, 11:19 PM
Bail Out! You don't support poor service with good money.

Iowa Fox
06-11-2020, 11:24 PM
Bail Out! You don't support poor service with good money.

Exactly what I'm thinking

Winger Ed.
06-11-2020, 11:41 PM
Do they also provide a mop, some 409, and a roll of paper towels so you can also clean the bathroom?:bigsmyl2:

Idaho45guy
06-11-2020, 11:59 PM
There is one other place in town that does sandwiches and pizza. But their hours are sketchy. They seem to be open very little and I don't think the owner is very business savvy. The other place is closed Sundays and Mondays, and closed after 8pm or 9pm. Never seen a bar close so early! You would think the other only place in town would make sure they were open on the days that the other place is closed. Guaranteed business. Nope. Nowhere to eat in town those two days. Plus, their prices were even worse. Girlfriend and I each had a mini pizza, a glass of wine, and shared a spinach/artichoke dip appetizer. Bill was $60 before tip. But it was very good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-12-2020, 12:01 AM
We have the best Mom and Pop Taco place in Glencoe.
They announced price increases due to meat cost.
I usually get 3 street style Al Pastor tacos with everything, the bill was always $7.45
My Last trip there for takeout, the bill for same was $8.10
I always put a $1 in the tip jar...I felt like putting $2 that last trip...I really want them to stay in business.

trails4u
06-12-2020, 12:08 AM
I usually get 3 street style Al Pastor tacos with everything, the bill was always $7.45
I always put a $1 in the tip jar...I felt like putting $2 that last trip...I really want them to stay in business.

Al Pastor done right is priceless...….and when done right, is usually affordable like you describe. Good, hard working people delivering a fantastic traditional meal and earning a living doing it!!

Idaho45guy
06-12-2020, 12:40 AM

My last meal at our local place was the "special", a chicken burrito. It was delicious and good sized, but at $13 with no sides, or sour cream, or guacamole, seemed a little high. Especially since that was the supposedly cheaper "special".

Winger Ed.
06-12-2020, 01:06 AM
a chicken burrito. It was delicious and good sized, but at $13 with no sides, or sour cream, or guacamole, seemed a little high. [/ATTACH]

Yep. In general that street vendor, Tex-Mex stuff we think of as real Mexican food is really pretty cheap to make.
UNTIL-- you get to the guacamole, the 'good' cheeses, and sour cream.

A burrito that size with a big plop of sour cream and enough guacamole to taste is about 6-7 bucks around here.

tomme boy
06-12-2020, 01:08 AM
I have a place we go to about 20 miles from here. It is a mexican restaurant in a mexican grocery store. We leave completely stuffed and it is never over $15 for 2 of us. We also hit up the meat counter before we leave. They have some awesome salsa. I like to get the cactus mango. They have like 5 kinds. And fresh Chicharrón

abunaitoo
06-12-2020, 03:39 AM
Those prices are a little lower than the normal here.
Two people at mcdonalds cost over $20.

NyFirefighter357
06-12-2020, 06:59 AM
You wouldn't want to eat out here, ordering just the appetizers would put you over $30 This is one of the local Italian places.

All entrees are served with salad, and your choice of pasta, potato or vegetable of the day. A charge of $7.00 will apply if entrees are shared, or for salad be bread without entree.

20% gratuity will be added for parties of 8 or more
Dinner

All entrees are served with salad and your choice of pasta, potato or vegetable of the day.

A charge of $7.00 will apply if entrees are shared or for salad & bread without entree.

20% gratuity will be added for parties of 8 or more

Appetizers:

Colossal Shrimp Cocktail $16

Crab Cakes $15

Eggplant Rollatini $10

Fried Mozzarella $10

Margarita Pizza $13

Hot Antipasto $22

Mussels, full order (red or white) $23

Mussels, 1/2 order (red or white) $15

Fresh Mozzarella ala Arturo’s $15

Zuppa di Clams $15

Fried Calamari $13

Clams Oreganata $12

Spiedini Ala Romano $11

Zucchini Ribbons $10

Soup

Tortellini en Brodo $8

Pasta Fagiole (with bacon) $8

Escarole & Beans (with bacon) $8

Pasta

Create your own dish
Angel Hair • Linguini • Penne • Fettucini
* Rigatoni * Cavatelli
* Gnocchi * Whole Wheat Linguini
* extra $3.00 charge

Prepared with your choice from the list below.

Pesto $20

Tomato and Meatballs$19

Tomato $16

Aioli (garlic & oil) $16

Marinara $16

Broccoli Garlic & Oil $17

Alfredo $17

Carbonara $18

Ala Vodka $18

Filetto di Pomodoro fresh tomato, onions, bacon and fresh basil $18

Bolognese $19

Broccoli Rabe (in season) $20

Country Style $20

white beans, bacon, broccoli rabe, onions and roasted garlic $21

Clam Sauce (red or white) $21

Specialty Dishes

Rigatoni Angelina fresh rigatoni, meat sauce with peas, mushrooms and a touch of ricotta $19

Cheese Ravioli $18

Baked Ziti with Ricotta $19

Homemade Manicotti $19

Eggplant Parmigiana $19

Chicken

Chicken Parmigiana $18

Chicken Milanese $19

Chicken Marsala $19

Chicken Piccata $19

Chicken Francese $19

Chicken Cacciatore (on the bone) fresh tomato, basil, mushrooms, onions $20

Chicken Scarpariello (on the bone) lemon, butter, white wine, potatoes, vinegar peppers, hot or sweet $20

Chicken Valdestano breaded and layered with prosciutto, mushrooms, mozzarella in a marsala wine sauce $20

Chicken Verbena breaded and layered with prosciutto, asparagus, roasted peppers and mozzarella covered in a marsala wine sauce $20

Sea Food

Calamari (fra diavlo or marinara) served over linguini $23

Salmon Oreganata $23

Shrimp (fra diavlo or marinara) $25

Shrimp Parmigiana $26

Shrimp Scampi Oreganata $26

Shrimp Francese $25

Scallops (fra diavlo or marinara) $32

Scallops Oreganata $32

Clams Posillipo $27

Golden Naples shrimp, scallops & calamari served over linguini $30

Zuppa di Pesce (for one) clams, mussels, calamari, shrimp and scallops in a light marinara sauce served over linguini $30

Zuppa di Pesce (for two) clams, mussels, calamari, shrimp and scallops in a light marinara sauce served over linguini $55

Veal

Veal Milanese $20

Veal Cutlet Parmigiana $21

Veal Marsala $22

Veal Piccata $22

Veal Francese $24

Veal Valdestano breaded and layered with prosciutto, mushrooms, mozzarella in a marsala wine sauce $24

Veal Verbena breaded and layered with prosciutto, asparagus, roasted peppers and mozzarella covered in a marsala wine sauce $24

Steaks & Chops

Skirt Steak over Potatoes (small/large) served over sliced fried potato, sautéed onion with a choice of hot or sweet peppers $32

Shell Steak Companiole onion, hot cherry peppers and potatoes $32

Shell Steak Contadina onion, sweet peppers and potatoes

Pork Chops Contadina onion, sweet peppers and potatoes

Pork Chops Companiole onion, hot cherry peppers and potatoes

Shell Steak Pizzaiola in a spicy marinara sauce sm. $28/lg. $38

Skirt Steak ala Arturo’s (small/large)seasoned with garlic, olive oil, basil and oregano sm. $28/lg. $38

Children's Menu

10 Years old or under

Fettucini Alfredo $10

Chicken Fingers with French Fries $10

Spaghetti & Meatball $10

Cheese Ravioli $10

Penne Vodka $10

Cheese Pizza $10

dangitgriff
06-12-2020, 07:01 AM
Prices will continue to rise over the next few years to a point where only the wealthy can afford to dine outside the home. You can blame the Federal Reserve and our political class in D.C. for that, due to them literally pumping trillions of dollars’ worth of currency (inflation) into our economy in an effort to shore up our stock markets and financial system. We will be paying a high price for their profligacy, it’s baked into the cake.
Growing up, my family ate what momma cooked, and momma cooked what we raised and cultivated on our little homestead. She drove to the grocery store a half hour each way once a week for milk and other pantry staples.
Looks like we will all be facing some tough times—and tough choices—in the months and years ahead.
R/Griff

MrWolf
06-12-2020, 08:27 AM
I can't eat a lot of food in restaurants. They usually use to much salt and such and spending time in the bathroom paying again is not my version of fun. Luckily my gf likes staying home as much as I do. When I first saw Idaho's price pic I thought that was a $ sign as first digit and thought those prices were decent. Looked closer and saw the 1. Nope refuse to pay that kinda money. Rather eat something and sit on the front porch swing for entertainment.

Idaho45guy
06-12-2020, 09:41 AM
You wouldn't want to eat out here, ordering just the appetizers would put you over $30 This is one of the local Italian places.

So what's the per capita income in your area?

I bet it's a bit higher than the $28k we have here.

I actually looked it up as I was ready to post and I was surprised at how low it is; $36k.

But then I looked up the menu prices of the Hudson Valley Diner, and their club sandwich is $10.95. Ours is $13.00.

http://www.valleydinerny.com/menu

So, I'm not imagining things. Prices are ridiculously high here, especially considering the lower wages.

snowwolfe
06-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Me, I would ask to speak to the owner and then politely tell him/her the high prices mean your taking your business elsewhere. At least allow them to know why you stopped going there. Sooner or later they will get the message.

Idaho45guy
06-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Me, I would ask to speak to the owner and then politely tell him/her the high prices mean your taking your business elsewhere. At least allow them to know why you stopped going there. Sooner or later they will get the message.

That's the hard part. I really like the owner and the atmosphere. I also know that the virus thing has really been tough on small businesses. Before the virus and the latest price increases, I was already trying to limit going there and starting to grouse about the prices and mediocre food. But, being an upstanding citizen in a town of 1200 means you try to give business to the locals if possible.

I would be happy to just go there and have a few drinks, but their drink prices are ridiculous as well. I think I made the mistake of ordering a rum and coke double with Sailor Jerry rum once and it was $12. I had a PBR draft with my burrito the other day and it was $3.50... For PBR!

My girlfriend comes over 3 days a week to spend the night with me, and every Tuesday, we eat at the local place and cook the other two nights. It's kind of our thing. Perhaps going to the local place once a month would be better.

bedbugbilly
06-12-2020, 11:39 AM
I think a lot of us who live in smaller towns face the same sort of thing. Where we live in Michigan, we have had small restaurants start up in years past and like everything else in life, prices go up but quality went down. We had one that started out good - not a franchise - food/liquor type place. After a while, the quality of food went down and prices went up but the waitresses never saw an increase in their hourly wage and of course folks stopped leaving good tips - eventually the owners got in trouble with IRS for not paying taxes and then they had the audacity to have the local small town paper do an article on them and about how they were "suffering" from lack of business, yada, yada, yada - and how they had started a "go fund me" page to keep the restaurant afloat and that they wanted the local community to contribute to it. HUH? Needless to say no one supported someone who didn't know how to run a business.

I believe in supporting local businesses but like the OP, we often drove the 15 miles to the nearest city where we could get a decent meal at a respectable price. Why pay high prices for meals when the quality is poor, service is nonexistent, etc. when you can spend a little on gas and get a decent meal at a lot less? Unfortunately, it is the wait staff/service staff who suffer as their tips depend on good food, good service, good prices.

As far as making more on unemployment than working - once again the oh so smattered politicians really did their homework and passed a bill that reward those who stay home and collect rather than go back to work - not everyone but a good portion. I had to have emergency surgery on my foot/ankle here in AZ at the end of April. In talking with a lot of the nurses and skilled techs while in the hospital, they all had been cut back in hours but not to the point that they were eligible for un-employment - I'm sure it has been the same all over the country. The fellow who did my MRI - and let's face it, he is a trained tech with valuable skills - he and his wife (a nurse) were both working minimum hours and having problems paying their bills like everyone - but - a person who flipped burgers at a Mickey Ds was pulling in unemployment for sitting on their honeys at home that was more than twice their wages if working. Why wouldn't they want to just sit and collect?

Of course it isn't much different with our politicians - the Senate has been in session but how about Pelosi and her gang who refused to go back into session?

Murphy
06-12-2020, 12:37 PM
I live in a town of 7,000 (the county seat). There isn't a restaurant around that would stay open long with the prices Idaho45guy posted. We also have a local tourist trap 25 miles away. Even there, those prices would put a place out of business pretty quick.

Another thought, is the restaurant owner. Perhaps he's making an attempt at turning the place into a self service only diner? More than a few outfits have turned Covid 19 into big profit for themselves, and themselves alone. I'm sure there are people in the area who fell through the loops of $600 a week unemployment funding. And add in the local paper would probably cure that.

Murphy

FISH4BUGS
06-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Man, I am so glad we buy from local farms and grow/freeze/can our own vegetables.
It isn't going to get any better.

gnostic
06-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Yesterday I stopped at a Cum-N-Go, that's like 7-11 in Colorado and they had a sign that said, 'We're hiring, starting at $15.50 per hour.' A one bedroom apt in Steamboat Springs starts at $1500.00 a month, that money has to come from somewhere.

Idz
06-12-2020, 01:40 PM
I predict with the concern about crowds and viruses that robots will take over restaurants. The greed of the government and high minimum wages already has made this a reality in big cities as boutique operations. Big operations like McDonald's already have tested robot run stores with a single human manager. Paranoia about disease has eliminated the desire for a 'human touch' in food prep and service. Some outfits have even built 'ghost' restaurants in large trucks that position themselves strategically around the city. Robots cook the food and UBER delivers it to nearby clients thereby eliminating expensive rent altogether and providing freshly cooked meals. The small Mom & Pop stores with a stove and a skillet are going to have a tough time competing.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-12-2020, 01:43 PM
My wife and I have breakfast out everyday and have for close to fifty years. When I was working I would assign work for my crew, give my wife a call and tell her where to meet me. We would have breakfast and I would go on with my days work. It has been hard to eat out since the shut down, fast food only and eat in the car. The restaurants have started to open, the prices have gone way up and there are no specials. To have a full breakfast for two will set you back $30 without the tip. Many places charge $3.00 for a cup of coffee.It looks like fast food may never open their dinning rooms. This way they save money on hired help. As has been pointed out, too much funny money in circulation. They have these money trees in Washington where they can just pick what they need for the day. We should have it so good. One of the very best breakfast my wife and I have ever had was in Oklahoma, Choctaw, I think. It was a small place but packed. I had eggs, sausage, biscuits and coffee. The biscuits where so light they would float off your plate if you didn't weigh them down with butter and jelly. The sausage was spicy, something you will not get in California. My wife had a similar breakfast. We had coffee of course. The bill was $7.50. At one point my wife told me to look around. She said I am the only women in here. I noticed the people coming in were men with their John Deere hats on. I couldn't help but notice that most of them had very large bellies.

Winger Ed.
06-12-2020, 02:56 PM
, starting at $15.50 per hour.' A one bedroom apt in Steamboat Springs starts at $1500.00 a month, .

At any time its always been the same economy of scale.
One person making entry level money had a hard time paying for a place by their self.
In the old days, we had room mates to share a place & its expenses.

Before that, renting a room at a boarding house was common,
or renting a room from an old widow trying to keep her old, big house after her husband passed away.

To one degree or another, that will never change.
The whole 'living wage' thing is a cruel joke.

Petrol & Powder
06-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Winger Ed - your comment, " The whole 'living wage' thing is a cruel joke " is one of the most accurate statements I've ever heard.

The average democrat voter lacks the mental capacity to understand the big picture when the topic is "living wage".

The higher the labor cost, the FEWER employees the business can afford to hire.
The higher the labor costs, the higher the prices will be for the goods and services that business produces. The business isn't going to pay more in labor costs and lose money; the business will simply pass that cost along to its customers.
As higher wages drive the costs of goods and services up, the workers have less buying power despite the higher wages they are earning.
As the amount of money in circulation increases the buying power of that money decreases.

So while a very short-sighted individual may see higher wages improving that individual; artificially increased wages across the entire economy make that money worth less.

Democrats, progressives, socialists, whatever - love to campaign on the platform of "A living Wage" (sounds cool doesn't it ?) But the reality of that concept is that higher minimum wages result in REDUCED employment and REDUCED buying power for those that are employed.

MT Gianni
06-12-2020, 03:26 PM
I would vote with my feet and tell the owner why. He may be able to defend his costs increase, but needs to know that his clients disposable funds cannot match and have not increased.

NyFirefighter357
06-12-2020, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that's 45min NW of me. We go to our local Dinner for a family of 5 it's about $75. This is the menu: https://www.carmeldiner.com/menus/#burgers-sandwiches

My town: According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 40.7 square miles, of which 36.1 square miles is land and 4.6 square miles is water (mostly NYC reservoirs) . The total area is 11.26% water.

The south town line is the border of Westchester County, New York. The town is located approximately 50 miles north of New York City (measured from Central Park) and approximately 10 miles west of Danbury, Connecticut.

My property/school taxes alone are $11,000 a year.

Demographics
Historical population
Census Pop. %±
Est. 2016 34,255 [2]
U.S. Decennial Census[9]

Total Population: 33,196
Males, 49.0%; Females – 51.0%
Median Age: 40.1 years
By Race
White, 90.5%
Hispanic (of any race), 8.0%
Asian, 3.0%
Black or African American, 1.0%
Other Race, 2.7%
Average Household Size: 2.99
Median Household Income: $105,406 (2015[10])
Per Capita Income: $42,034 (2015)
High School Graduation Rate: 94.1%

So what's the per capita income in your area?

I bet it's a bit higher than the $28k we have here.

I actually looked it up as I was ready to post and I was surprised at how low it is; $36k.

But then I looked up the menu prices of the Hudson Valley Diner, and their club sandwich is $10.95. Ours is $13.00.

http://www.valleydinerny.com/menu

So, I'm not imagining things. Prices are ridiculously high here, especially considering the lower wages.

abunaitoo
06-12-2020, 06:23 PM
I never did eat out much.
Once a week, after range on Sunday, with the gang.
Since the chinese virus I've bought outside food less than 10 times.
Save lots of money and gas.
Don't think I'll be doing any dining until this mask nonsense is over.
Restaurants closing down all over the place.
gooberment put a limit on how many can be seated at one time.
Less than 50% for most places.
Prices going up to offset the low numbers.

trebor44
06-12-2020, 06:50 PM
It is SAD to see anyone willing to pay outrageous prices for 'fast' food! As a cook and knowing the wholesale costs associated with food I would get and LEAVE in a very noticeable manner when I saw the prices on the menu. Why abuse yourself?

snowwolfe
06-12-2020, 07:05 PM
We went to Olive Garden about 2 weeks ago. Their prices went up. There was NO prices on the drink menu. I asked how much a soda cost, it was $2.99. Thought maybe it was time for a beer. No dice, they were $6 each.
We both drank water which was better for both of us anyhow. The lower final bill also lowered the tip some.
I hope restaurant owners wake up and realize the only people they are hurting are their employees and their own bottom dollar.

megasupermagnum
06-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Maybe it is just me, but those prices don't look too horrible. I never order anything like that. If you showed the burger or steak section, then maybe I'd see more. The one burger appears to be $9. That's pretty much in line with burgers of my area, of $8 to $14. Get out on some of the big lakeshore resteraunts in Minnesota, and it's not unusual to see as much as $15-17 for a burger.

Petrol & Powder
06-13-2020, 08:14 AM
I'm all about supporting local business, up to a point. There comes a point where I must make a decision based on reality and not just my desire to support local business.

Restaurants, particularly non-chain restaurants, are one of the most difficult businesses to succeed in. The vast majority of new small restaurants that open, fail within the first 3 years. Don't believe me ? Ask any bank loan officer, ask any dealer of restaurant equipment, ask any restaurant food supplier.
It's a hard industry to make it in and most of the new ones don't have the capitol in reserve to survive a downturn.

The profit margins are high. The markup on food and alcohol is substantial but that's the only place they make money; everything else is an expense.
Rent or Mortgage, utilities, insurance, equipment (a lot of which is leased), cleaning supplies, business licenses, liquor licenses, taxes and WAGES - are all expenses that must be met. Many of those expenses are constant and must be satisfied regardless of business volume.

I know people that run successful small restaurants and they make money but, They Work For It ! Those people never really have a day off. They took huge personal risks and the outcome was far from certain. While some of the stronger ones can weather a bad month, none of them can weather two bad quarters.

As much as I admire these people and wish to support them, there's a limit to my support.

And as a side note, that menu linked to NYfirefigther357's post #34 seemed fairly normal to me. And in the interest of full disclosure - I REALLY like the small diners and restaurants in NY, NJ and most of New England. Whenever I'm in those areas I look forward to the opportunity to visit those establishments.

Teddy (punchie)
06-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Beaver Co PA here.

Many places to eat. When we eat in Restaurant. Cost: Lunch about $13.00 with drinks and tip. Dinner Supper is $17.00. This is a ballpark number. Sometime if you get water and special, you can leave around 7-9 for lunch. Breakfast will set you back about the same a Dinner(supper) if eat at a all you can eat (Eat in Park) Not cheap.

Coffee, Soda (pop) all are in that $ 1.75 to $ 2.50, I don't drink away from friends or home, Drinking Alcohol and driving in PA is going to cost you maybe your job, plus 6-9 thousand and you don't have to get the full DUI, they can get you for for something if you been drinking, once you get a test your done. Funny same thing in Ohio or WV fines are fraction and classes are fairly priced. So if I have any Alcohol I wait at least an hour per beer or shot. Better to just not drink at all.

We take out a fair amount (1-2 times a week) during the COVID we like a few of the salads at local places about 7 to 9 and enough if you wanted to you could make two meals out of them. But most casts its the early after-noon I didn't eat much of a lunch (or none) and breakfast was at 5-6 and I'm hungry its now going on 1-2 so order from Towne Square so when I get home, we can relaxes for the rest of afternoon, like a Friday. Kiddos like it because they have other things, fries are tasty and they do buy local Beef and employ a fair amount of there family and hire local. Other place in the Wooden Indian fair prices, but that family is loaded.. did I say loaded!! So but we can say they have fairly priced food. There are many more but its a hit or miss with them, good then not so good, just like everything good and bad cooks, good and bad employees. Not placing them down just not worth the extra drive. We have our choice of fast food but its not cheaper.

Plus Dr. Wants me to loose 25 pounds in the next few years. Your heading into the age where you need to be this weight. So I have cut out 85% or more of Pop (soda) . I don't do the diet BS. Now going to start on lowing the Carbs and eating more greens as we are going into the warmer weather. Working like I did yesterday 3 hours at farm burning and cutting brush, and 6 hours cleaning up leaves and under brush from a over grown ceder (need to see if I can make any thing ?? ) about 8" maybe 10" , leaves are about 6" thick and Darn Borough is after us to finish cleaning up the yard, every year its something, grass, railing, hand rail, I have left a few things here on front porch and now they are after that also, always one thing or the other. Living in town I guess !! We are still working on this barn of a house. Getting off subject.

elmacgyver0
06-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Man! if I ate breakfast out everyday I would weigh 450 lbs.
My metabolism won't allow it.
I would love to be able to eat out several times a week but if I do I gain weight like a feeder pig.
I weigh ten pounds over what I should now.
It seems like I'm always hungry if I want to keep my weight in check.

Rich/WIS
06-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Big factor is meat prices, like prime rib and was home in WI over Memorial Day and the local place dropped it off the menu, price from their supplier was such that they would have to charge serious money, more than they thpught the market would bear. Local steak and chicken buffet here has done the same, beef prices made it impossible to put on the menu without an unacceptable price increase. Suspect the price increase will last until the supply situation clears up.

Most of the bigger stores like Walmart and the local grocery(Kroger) went to self checkout years ago in anticipation of the $15/hour "living wage".

waksupi
06-15-2020, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised burger joints haven't raised prices sky high yet. I looked at a little steak in the grocery last week, it was over 20 bucks!

Idaho45guy
06-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Had card night last night and bought Papa Murphy's pizzas. 6 people got stuffed for $26. I shudder to think what it would have cost if we had met at a restaurant.

trebor44
06-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Since I can cook way better than most 'cooks' (been doing it since I was ten y.o.) I only eat out when traveling or rarely when I don't feel like cooking. It's all about the chemistry! And I admit I am VERY frugal!

Wis Tom
06-15-2020, 07:24 PM
I would not mind paying $16 for a good brisket sandwich, as the price of beef has went way up, around here, but busing your own table and all, you might as well just throw that slab in your own smoker, and have leftovers, but that is just me.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-15-2020, 08:27 PM
Wife and I had breakfast at Denny's this morning, $28 bucks with a tip. Coffee $3 29 a cup. We did not have a big meal, in fact it used to be on the senior menu for much less. There was no senior menu this morning. If you think prices were high eating out before the shut down, try them now.

popper
06-15-2020, 08:35 PM
Expect everything to go up, supposedly to stay afloat after shutdown. Of course it will stay up and with fed buying corporate junk, watch out.

Ozark mike
06-15-2020, 08:55 PM
Most places are likely to join the soy and tofu revolution when beef gets to high

Idaho45guy
06-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Went to the grocery store today and the cheapest hamburger they had was $5.29 a pound. Hot dogs were still $.77 for an 8 pack. I buy those three at a time since I use a cut up hot dog a day to give my dog his medication.

dtknowles
06-16-2020, 12:21 AM
We have so many restaurants around here that I don't know where to start. We have three I-10 exits and two I-12 exits in town so you can imagine all the fast food and chain restaurants. With that kind of competition prices stay reasonable or they die and get rebuilt for some other restaurant. For months the line of cars at the Chic-fil-et and Kane's backs out to the street for hours each day.

I have not eaten out since the pandemic and rarely did before and when I did it was usually Outback for the Lamb or Copelands for the Filet. My bill was usually about $40 if I am solo or $80 bucks if the wife is along or if I am bringing her takeout. I get drinks and she gets dessert. Copelands is a bit pricier. Their steaks and sides are better. Eating out for me is an escape, a time to be waited upon. At home I do the cooking and dishes.

Sometimes at work I go out for lunch (usually I bring leftovers, I plan the meals so I have wonderful lunches). I go out to lunch at work to have private meetings with friends. I love Big Easy Seafood, the place is not nice but they fry like no other. Fish, Shrimp, Oysters, Chicken, French Fries that are the best they can be. I usually get the fried shrimp on a bun special dressed that comes with plenty of fries and a canned soda, Under $10 including tip. For a change when the oysters are good I will get the fried oyster poboy dressed with fries and a drink and that will bump it up to $12.

Another place we sometimes go for lunch is Vucinovich's, the prices are very reasonable and the portions are huge. I have never seen anyone eat all of one of their Muffulettas

http://places.singleplatform.com/vucinovichs-restaurant/menu

I have been working from home for more than two months and when I am home I don't eat breakfast or lunch. I have lost 8 pounds. My doctor will be happy.

Tim

PB234
06-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Worth reading again.

Prices will continue to rise over the next few years to a point where only the wealthy can afford to dine outside the home. You can blame the Federal Reserve and our political class in D.C. for that, due to them literally pumping trillions of dollars’ worth of currency (inflation) into our economy in an effort to shore up our stock markets and financial system. We will be paying a high price for their profligacy, it’s baked into the cake.
Growing up, my family ate what momma cooked, and momma cooked what we raised and cultivated on our little homestead. She drove to the grocery store a half hour each way once a week for milk and other pantry staples.
Looks like we will all be facing some tough times—and tough choices—in the months and years ahead.
R/Griff

dragon813gt
06-16-2020, 10:24 AM
The prices in the OP look like a lot of areas of the country. I’m one of the “lucky fools” that travels for work and is forced to eat out all week. It’s extremely hard to eat all three meals on the $55 per diem, federal average, that we’re given. Especially when the federal rate in most areas where I work is $70+. I consider myself doing well if I can eat dinner for $25-$30. And that’s w/ maybe a soda and definitely no alcohol.

MT Gianni
06-16-2020, 12:10 PM
I bought 82/18 burger at Costco last week for $3.39 a lb, 5 lb chub.

thxmrgarand
06-17-2020, 08:22 PM
I agree with those who fear that the Covid stimulus money, more money than the entire annual federal budget was as recently as the 1980s, will lead to inflation. For politicians that is the most painless way to pay it back, and moves us all into higher tax brackets as a bonus for the federal and state governments. That, and the very real chance that Biden wins (not to mention that the Senate could go Democrat) may mean that whenever anyone can pick up powder and primers at low prices, and .22 ammo, they should consider adding to inventory right now.

But the thread was about restaurant prices. Whenever I leave Alaska the restaurant prices, even in Honolulu, look like bargains. And while there are numerous exceptions, Alaska restaurants just don't have to try very hard compared with the Lower 48 and it shows in the food preparation and the menu. Most Alaska restaurants appear to me to do very little beyond heating up what they buy at Costco. I must tip more than is common when I am in the Lower 48 judging from frequent reactions from waitresses. Right now many Alaska restaurants are having a difficult time enticing their help to leave unemployment compensation to return to work, and I wonder if it's the same in other states. All that said, the restaurant business appears to me to be a tough one.