PDA

View Full Version : My boolit is best! Now with PROOF! .38 Special

Super Sneaky Steve
06-11-2020, 06:19 PM
I finally went through the time and expensive to test out my modified Lee mould. Using pure lead with a powder coat.

Check it out.
https://i.imgur.com/SBUkYWE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UTPT1zH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eu6juGz.jpg

https://youtu.be/RNmEzADhzoI

45-70 Chevroner
06-11-2020, 06:30 PM
How about a picture of the mold.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-11-2020, 06:34 PM
In case you don't sit through my long boring video. I'm using Power Pistol and a 2" Kimber K6S for testing. Average speed is about 870fps. Only pure lead can give you this kind of performance with a heavy boolit.

I'll try to get a pic of the mould later.

ACC
06-11-2020, 07:29 PM
I would have to see more than one boolet before I would say it always expands. I have shot Sig Saur ammo and out of 20 rounds 5 expanded. That is only 25%. Now saying that I think you are on to something and I hope you will keep experimenting as it looks like it may work out.

ACC

Super Sneaky Steve
06-11-2020, 07:32 PM
I would have to see more than one boolet before I would say it always expands. I have shot Sig Saur ammo and out of 20 rounds 5 expanded. That is only 25%. Now saying that I think you are on to something and I hope you will keep experimenting as it looks like it may work out.

ACC

What you're saying is true, but you can't get any softer than this, so it may be the absolute limit as to expansion without making a larger cavity.

06-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Well done.

USSR
06-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Only pure lead can give you this kind of performance with a heavy boolit.

Hate to bust your bubble SSS, but any good hollowpoint using the right alloy can obtain that kind of expansion.

In the above pic, the bullet on the right measures 70 caliber, while the middle bullet is slightly larger. Both were fired out of my 2.5" snubbie. The alloy in both cases was 97 Pb/2.5 Sn/0.5 Sb. Velocity for the middle bullet was 845fps and bullet on the right was 940fps. The key is keeping the antimony content low and the tin content fairly high.

Don

mdi
06-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Good testing, so far, thanks. But, IMO, there's a lot more to making a bullet "good" than just expansion. Lots of expansion limits penetration, not reaching vital organs for effective wounding, so yep, a bullet can expand too much. A good bullet must be accurate and stable (no "skidding" on rifling). But keep on working at it, there's nothing more satisfying than making good bullets...

bedbugbilly
06-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Looks good. Now that you know they expand well . . . how do they actually shoot? What does your target look like with that boolit at SD range?

waksupi
06-12-2020, 12:02 PM

ACC

A jacketed bullet never performs as reliably as cast for expansion.

USSR
06-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Lots of expansion limits penetration, not reaching vital organs for effective wounding...

Yep, that's why you should use heavy for caliber bullets with high SD numbers. My bullets weight 160 - 165 grains depending upon the type of hollowpoint. No lack of penetration with them when used in a FBI Load.

Don

sutherpride59
06-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Good testing, so far, thanks. But, IMO, there's a lot more to making a bullet "good" than just expansion. Lots of expansion limits penetration, not reaching vital organs for effective wounding, so yep, a bullet can expand too much. A good bullet must be accurate and stable (no "skidding" on rifling). But keep on working at it, there's nothing more satisfying than making good bullets...

It’s a good point, I would consider a good test medium and harden up your alloy till you get the amount of penetration you want before expansion or hopefully you are already there.

megasupermagnum
06-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Sheesh. The bullet went clear through a 12" long brick of ballistics gel. How much penetration do you need?

I'd say you did a great job. It expands dramatically, penetrates more than the minimum, and holds all its weight. You can't beat that.

@USSR, you came to the same conclusion, your alloy is pretty dang soft as well. I also don't see the point in messing with antimony for hollow points unless you want them to blow up. Lead and Tin are all that's needed, and are a match made in heaven. Pure lead works great too in the right applications.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Looks good. Now that you know they expand well . . . how do they actually shoot? What does your target look like with that boolit at SD range?

There's a youtube link in my first post where you can check out the block. It expanded within the first 1/2" and left a big permanent cavity for about 8 inches then sailed through the rest of the bock and exited the back. It was caught in my fleece backstop. The soft bullet will fold like warm chocolate and not break. 100% weight retention kept it moving.

charlie b
06-15-2020, 07:26 AM
If you shoot through a layer or two of denim does it still expand? How about a layer of wool or leather (jacket material)?

curioushooter
06-15-2020, 07:54 PM
So. What media? What calibration? What bullet weight? What retained weight? What penetration depth? Barriers?

I've got that kind of expansion...typical with 32:1 or so. They will actually expand at 800 fps impact velocities reliably. It can get iffy lower than that.

curioushooter
06-15-2020, 07:56 PM
A jacketed bullet never performs as reliably as cast for expansion.

This is an inaccurate statement. It is true at lower velocities and soft or no barriers. It is not true over a range of velocities or against hard barriers.

Cast HPs are pretty good at expanding...they are also prone to fragmenting and imploding at acute impact angles. They are poor performers on hard barriers like wood or steel. They are as good or better on soft barriers like fabric as jacketed.

The real advantage the jacket adds is another variable to play with to increase bullet "toughness". Only alloy properties are at the disposal of the hp caster.

I've done a lot of testing of 357 projectiles at a range of velocities from 38 to 357 max.

No cast boolit I've tried even approaches the all range performance of the 158 grain xtphp. Some will equal it or better it by a small amount at certain velocities, but break down at others. There is no question in my mind the best performing all around bullet for 357 mag revolvers of 4" barrel or longer is the 158 xtphp. The Lyman 358429 and 358627 both offer ample penetration...both over 28 inches. Every cast HP I've tried expands to over .6 but only goes 19" or less.

The 38 snub is one of the few areas where cast HPs hold their own. But guess what I carry? Federal HSTs. The 358429HP, MP359Hammer large HP both expand down to 800 fps no problem, but only go 8-9 inches. The more controlled expansion of the HST delivers mythical one foot of penetration in calibrated gelatin with 4 layers of denim. No other expanding bullet can out of my 442. It also does better being shot through a baking sheet. Cast hps squash up and lose a lot against hard barriers.

The 180 xtp is the only HP that I've found works at 357 mag rifle or 357 max velocities (over 1600).

Soft-mediun cast solids however work well I'm this velocity range.