PDA

View Full Version : New shoes for the 1911...

Idaho45guy
06-11-2020, 01:56 AM
Factory VZ grips were a bit too aggressive and I found black to be boring. Ordered two new sets of grips. One was a set of G10 GUUUN grips in coyote brown and a set of Magpul in OD green.

Installed both and liked the slightly thicker G10 grips better in feel and looks. Then realized that I couldn't move the safety. Even though they had a cutout for the ambidextrous safety, it wasn't enough. Took them off and tried whittling a bit with my pocket knife and it's a little better, but will have to take them out to the shop and get the dremel tool out and do some serious grinding to get them totally non-binding.

Put the Magpul grips on in the meantime and the more I handle the pistol, the more they are growing on me, lol.

Stock...

G10 grips...

Magpul grips...

nicholst55
06-11-2020, 02:50 AM
I have a set of really pretty, very sharply checkered Ahrend's Kingwood grips that my 1911 used to wear. Until I tried carrying it IWB. The checkering left a rash on my hide, so something had to change. I settled on the Magpul grips, also in OD green.

Tazlaw
06-11-2020, 04:59 AM
Pretty!

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2020, 09:36 AM
Those are nice.

I always disassemble, clean and oil "new to me guns". Despite my efforts I had a problem with a 1911 where the grip screws froze to the grip screw bushings. When I later removed the grip screws, the bushings came out of the frame with the screws solidly affixed. Now this isn't my first rodeo with 1911's so I didn't think too much about it.
Well, it turned out my attitude was a little too cavalier. Despite the oil previously applied to the threads, those grip screws were really locked tight to the bushings. After obtaining new screws and bushings, I had to lock the bushings in a vise (with the grips still attached) and separate the grip screws from the bushings. I don't know if it was the salt from sweat or some dis-similar metals; but those bushings were locked tight to the screws.
I degreased the threads in the frame and the external threads of the new bushings. Applied Loc-Tite and installed the new bushings. After the Loc-Tite cured, I applied grease to the new screws and re-installed the grips. Problem solved.

Members on this forum suggested stainless grip bushings with a hex head. (Challis Bushings). I would have gone that route but I already had the conventional slotted bushings, so I used what I had.

SO, I can recommend cleaning the grip frame where the grips touch the frame, waxing the back of the new grip panels and applying grease to the threads of the grip screws - as some preventive measures while you have the grips off.

Norske
06-11-2020, 11:38 AM
Fish Creek Company.com has some exotic fossil material, and very expensive grip panels for 1911 pistols. They cost about what I paid for my pistols.

DougGuy
06-11-2020, 01:24 PM
I found some quite nice double diamond checkered rosewood on fleabay with Colt medallions, whoever made them (Philippines maybe?) picked the grain to pop and grain matched both sides. $40 shipped!

263479 263480

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Those are slick DougGuy, and a good deal !

Baltimoreed
06-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Put these G10’s on my caspian gold cup that I built many years ago. Had a nice pair of DD walnut colt medalion grips but like the red checkered ones better.

Idaho45guy
06-11-2020, 10:14 PM
I'd love wood but it just wouldn't look right on my pistol with it's matte finish and "tactical" styling. Stainless or a nicely blued gun and I'd be all over some nice ironwood grips.

tazman
06-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Mine wears grey G10 grips. I like the feel and ease of grip. Not slippery at all. I tend to sweat profusely in hot weather and wood grips get slick in my hands.