PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done?

Jim
11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
First, I apologize for posting questions about shotshell reloading here. Truth be told, if it can be done, I know I can find it here.
Is it possible to handload RBs over old fashioned wads with rifle powder in shotshells? If so, what are the pressure signs in shotshells? I would think that by the time the primer begins to flatten, the barrel will have blown as shotguns normally run at 10 to 12K PSI.
Here's what I'm thinking: Powder, plastic gas seal, proper stack of felt or fiber wads and a teflon wrap around a .690 RB under a crimp seal. Can this be done with a slow powder like 7383 with a magnum primer to get it lit? Certainly, the powder charge would have to be regulated so as to keep the pressure at an acceptable level.
My "test platform" will be a Benelli Super Nova(12 ga.) in 3.5" magnum.

45nut
11-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I am sure I don't remember any rifle powder in shotgun loading myself, that said,, I haven't done any shotshell reloading in 15 yrs.

As a minor note, I will move this thread to the shotshell area, some folks check there that should help.
I would like to hear the outcome myself,, in case I can ever get interested in loading slugs in plastic I would like to have the info posted.

Jim
11-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Good enough, Ken! No problem on moving the post. I know there are some gurus here that can answer all my weird questions. I figured I might get some attention on the Cast Boolits section 'cause a lot of then guys hang out there.
Thanks,
Jim

missionary5155
11-28-2008, 04:36 AM
Good morning 7383 I do not know this powder... and my limited burn chart does not show it... But I do not know of any slow rifle powders used for shotgun or recommended in the reloading manuals.
The problem is that as soon as the primer fires the powder starts to ignite. The projectile begins to move. Because the bore diameter is so large compared to the chamber length the chamber volume (ratio) increases dramaticly. Fast igniting/burning powders are already full cooking. Slow powders are not yet up to temp/pressure and begin to fizzle out. This is real simplified and interior balistic books will take a chapter to say this. But I can see the possibility of a charge getting just hot enough to move the payload to the forcing cone where it stops and then the slow powder now has a confined space to build pressure/heat and goes balistic inside your thin wall chamber.
So ME... NO WAY ! If it was possible the reloading manuals would say so... they really do want to sell powder.

MT Gianni
11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
7383 is tough enough to get to burn in a rifle. It has a sweet spot in most guns and heaven help those who go over or under it. I think the cost of some Herco, Unique or Red Dot would be better here. My shotgun loading was 30 years ago but the directions were to use this combination without substitutes.

wiljen
11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think you can get enough pressure to get a clean burn on a rifle powder without being way over the pressure range generally recommended in a shotgun.

Jim
11-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Wiljen, that didn't occur to me. I think you've got it.

runfiverun
11-29-2008, 03:34 PM
this has been done but it was with brass cases and regular type and cast boolits.
now.. they weren't doing this with no 870.
but the velocities were impressive. and as i recall the powders were 5010 and 860 range.
some vulcan 20mm powder was used also.
wish i could recall why it was being done. but at the time i knew one of the participents rather well, and ran some of the loads over my chrono.
they were well [well] over 2300 fps.

bcp477
11-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I thought I'd add just one specific bit of caution. Shotguns, most any gauge or load, are designed for maximum pressures in the range of 10,000 to 13,000 psi (as you already know) - WAY UNDER ANY rifle load, except .22 rimfire. A light load for a modern rifle, or typical in older weapons with "obsolete" cartridges, would be more on the order of 25,000 psi. So, be EXTREMELY careful of any experimental loads with powders not normally used for shotguns. In fact, I would avoid any such experimentation at all, if I were you. This does not preclude experimental loads with cast bullets, slugs, etc....I would avoid non-shotgun powders, however, because you simply don't know how much pressure they would produce, or indeed, how the pressure curve would be in a shotgun barrel.

turbo1889
11-30-2008, 11:47 PM
With a few exceptions I would have to agree with the previous poster. Now if you do intend to continue in this direction you need to start looking at some of the OLD cartride loads that are low, low pressure. Ones that come to my mind are some of the 45-70 loads that opperate at shotgun level pressures as well as I think the 38-40 which is also low pressure. Come to think of it I belive there was a powder of the "Accurate" brand name that is used in full case compressed loads in the 45-70 that lists pressures below 10-K if memory serves. Those loads are in the Lee #2 book if memory continues to serve me. If I were going to fool around with rifle powders in shotgun cases that's the direction I would go -- but the the only shotgun I do that with is the 410-bore with Reloader-7 works like a dandy in for some screaming high velocity 1/2-oz. loads in 3" shells.