PDA

View Full Version : Info on 9mm shell shock cases

orangeeclipseman
06-09-2020, 08:09 PM
hi I didnt know where to put this under but has anyone reloaded these stainless steel cases with regular carbide dies?

DocSavage
06-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Brass,stainless steel shouldn't make a difference with carbide dies,titanium nitride coated dies not sure. Tungsten or titanium carbide is pretty hard only diamonds are harder.

metricmonkeywrench
06-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Looked into them when they first came out, you will need at least the special sizing/ depriming die. There is an added spring to push the case out rather than relying on the shell holder to yank out the case to keep the two pieces from seperating.

I believe they sell only the complete set though.

Novel idea

orangeeclipseman
06-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Yea i seen there dies i was hoping someone has used regular dies on them

orangeeclipseman
06-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Looked into them when they first came out, you will need at least the special sizing/ depriming die. There is an added spring to push the case out rather than relying on the shell holder to yank out the case to keep the two pieces from seperating.

I believe they sell only the complete set though.

Novel idea

what do u think about taking the decapping pin out and putting a spring in?

Kenstone
06-10-2020, 08:13 PM
what do u think about taking the decapping pin out and putting a spring in?
You might be able to put some Belleville washers on the decapping pin and adjust it to bottom out to compress the washers.
That would be add to the case seperation though :oops:.

I have to believe that the special die pushes down on the case mouth so the case does not seperate upon extraction.
jmo,
:?

Papercidal
06-10-2020, 09:12 PM
I tried a bag of them for fun and while I did not resize them since I did not have their dies and they where new. Many of them separated coming off the powder funnel even with lube on the funnel.

sparkyv
06-11-2020, 07:59 AM
Novel, yes. But what's the advantage?

Novel idea

Papercidal
06-11-2020, 09:21 AM
Novel, yes. But what's the advantage?

Being able to pick them up with a magnet.

jdfoxinc
06-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Less expensive than brass, reported 40 + reloads.

orangeeclipseman
06-12-2020, 02:10 PM
I tried a bag of them for fun and while I did not resize them since I did not have their dies and they where new. Many of them separated coming off the powder funnel even with lube on the funnel.

Thats good to know looks like I got some nice dust collectors

dryflash3
06-27-2020, 05:41 AM
Why buy new cases when you can pick up all the 9mm I need at the range for free?

9mm brass lasts a long time. Then pick up more for free.

If you load Win steel cases (normal Hornady 9mm dies) you can pick up those with a magnet.